Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 06-11-17
Valued Member

Default Replacing TJM Struts/Shocks

Have had the TJM XGS Golds in my NW for around 100,000 km now. The fronts have started leaking and the rears are "clunky".
Not very happy with that as I haven't given them as hard a time as planned.
Thinking of going Billies this time. Don't need springs as they are still sitting at a good height.

What is the current favourite?
Doing Birdsville Track/Simpson/Binns Track and maybe up to Chambers Pillar next year so may be tested with corrugations.
Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club
Old 07-11-17
Valued Member

Not happy with 100,000 ?
Anyway I've had both types mentioned and replaced at about 80,000.
Still ok but had long outback trips planned so replaced.
Either are good for those trips and I could tell no difference between either.
Both good quality gear.
Dean
NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.
Old 07-11-17
Valued Member

Given that they have not had a very hard life due to work life interfering with trips I wanted to do, yes I am disappointed.

I would expect a possible change in damping due to the valve plates weakening over time, but not external leaks. But even then, they have not been abused so should have been right for a fair bit more.
These struts have not seen a hard road for at least 50,00 km. The wipers have not been damaged by grit to let grit past and harm the seals, the shafts show no scoring.

I may be accused of being fussy, but look after my gear and am mechanically sympathetic. Spending too many years fixing ham fisted equipment operators errors makes you that way

Only problem I have with the Billies is the lack of travel affecting droop with my lifted coils. Which is why I went he TJM's in the first place. But think that may not be the problem I think it may be given my usage.
Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club