Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > GPS Tech / Navigation

GPS Tech / Navigation Discussion on GPS units. Maps and laptops

Old 24-12-12
Valued Member

Default Ipad maps and hema vs memory map vs maps n trax

Hi guys,
Picked up a 16gb wifi ipad retina this week and a dual xgps150A bluetooth gps arrived today from honkers.

I have a set of the shonky topo maps, 25 and 100k for nsw and i think its 50k for victoria, plus the geoscience 250k for all of australia all in ozi ozf2 format.

I have been able to succesfully convert a couple of the 25k nsw top maps to work with maps n trax. These appear to be nice and clear on the ipad down to a zoom where its about 3km from one end of the screen to the other, then the roads start to look too jaggy.

So my first question is when your out exploring say the watagans am i right in that you would be running the 25k maps to get the detail?

I found that the memory maps app seems to be exactly the same as the hema maps app, the difference being that the hema app comes with all their maps, but nothing below 250k.

So we won't be doing any major to trips like the kimberleys, cape york etc for at least a few years, so all those included maps are not really going to be of any help.
Mostly i wan't to use the ipad for trips to the watagans, central nsw, vic high country and club trips.

Has anyone tried the new memory map topo nsw set. Its $99 us, its it going to give any more detail than the shonky maps?

Cheers

Aaron
Old 24-12-12

I was going to go down that road or buy mud maps but have decided to wait until oziexplorer is available for iOS.

I have the HEMA app and it is good, but does lack detail sometimes.
Old 08-01-13

QHema app and memory map app are bascically the same. If you wanted to and i don't encourage this, You could get every hema map off there phone/pad via a program called ifunbox.(free, you dont need to be jailbroken, map files are in qct format). Put them in a folder somewhere on your puter. Download the memory map app from App store on your iphone/ipad , it's free from the app store. And all the hema maps will work on it exactly like the hema app. Just use the file sharing(in itunes click on your iphone/ipad , then click apps, then all the file sharing programs will be there including memory map) in itunes to install the maps. Best of all don't need to be jailbroken. Happy touring.
Obviously these maps will be ones purchased by you from app store or else it would be illegal to do if you took it from another phone.
As I said earlier I don't encourage this and you should buy your maps from the app store / memory map shop.

Last edited by saj; 08-01-13 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-01-13
Valued Member

My understanding of memory maps is that you can trial maps for x number of hours/days under a limited trial license. Maybe try them out and then if you like em, buy em.
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.