• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

NL factory tyre options-for legality

I've got to get blue slip soon so I need to get the tyres right size in order to pass.

Car is an NL Escape

I'm in NSW and the requirement here is 7% increase in diameter without inspection. The wording in VSI 6 only seems to refer to the placard in the car for tyre size, and mine list only on size 235/70 15". To me that calculates out at 28" diameter in stock form. Adding 7% brings me to under 30" (29.9") and the car currently has 32" tyres on it.

What other tyre sizes came out on NL models? Can I use those to base my legal calculations on?

If I am allowed to base my base tyre size on any of the NL models tyre size, should I then ditch the tyre placard to save some clueless cop from only basing decisions on that and not other optioned models of same year?

I'm not wanting to go extreme, I was thinking 31-32" are enough for my needs. Based on gearing I'm thinking smaller might be better, but clearance could be an issue if I go much smaller

Keen to hear thoughts on this. Couldn't find info via searching that answered this

Cheers

Stu
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

265/70/16 was the largest standard on the NL range. I’ve based my tyre size on this. I think it’s under a VSB that the increase can be based under “the largest standard on that model”. Or something like that
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Thanks Alex. So that puts the largest factory wheel at 30.6" and largest allowable at 32.7" wiithout inspection. Sound correct?

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Doesn't the local authority (NSW RMS) override the VSB? The vsb says 50mm

It also says in there that if wheels sizes are used from higher performance or difference spec model variant then the same suspension components must be used from the higher spec car. I'm assuming the suspension is the same accross all of the NL variants? I've never been asked if its exceed, GLS etc forr those components

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

Interesting one actually.

NSW VSI 6:
          “Replacement of tyres that change tyre overall diameter by more than 7% of the overall original diameter*.
          * ’overall original diameter’ means the maximum outside diameter of the largest tyre specified by the vehicle’s original manufacturer as an option for the vehicle, as shown on the vehicle’s tyre placard.”

It’d be interesting to argue that, although the 265/70/16 combination isn’t placarded on an NL Escape, it is placarded on the other NL Pajeros, and that an upsize on an Escape based on the 265/70/16 is ok.

VSB14 section LS:
          “4.2.4 Overall Nominal Diameter
          The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
           4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR category).
          Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

So by VSB, all good. The vehicle is an NL Pajero; doesn’t say anything about what it is actually placarded with.

Which one takes precedence? Not sure. Ask who is going to do your roadworthy!
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Cheers Alex. VSI 6 even says to read it in combination with Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme Declaration of Modification or Class of Modification Order 2013, and I think both say they are based on VSB 14. Further looking points to VSI 9, which says to refer to VSB...

For information on when a compliance certificate is required (for example fitting replacement tyres that
            increase or decrease tyre diameter by more than 7% of the overall original tyre diameter), see VSI No.6
            ‘Light vehicle modifications’, or Vehicle Standard Bulletin (VSB) No. 14 ‘National Code of Practice for
            Light Vehicle Construction and Modification’. Refer to page 7 for information on obtaining a copy
            VSB specifically mentions 4wd, VSI6 and 9 don't, so I think VSB is what we are supposed to go by in this case, especially given the above quoted info

Why does government info have to be so damn complicated, it refers you from 6 to 9, and 9 then refers you back to 6 for clarification. It says in VSB that local authority is the determining factor, and the local authority sends us back to VSB. You could put it in one document, but no-we will have people looking back and forth at everything to answer what would be considered a simple question

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not
              be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle
              manufacturer for that model.
              The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
               4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR
              category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be
              certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not
              included in this category;
               4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are
              essentially the same as the 4WD version (N ADR category); or
               any medium weight goods vehicle (NA2, NB ADR category).
              Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the
              vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

Note: Increases in tyre diameter are subject to compliance with all other requirements
              specified under this clause (Clause 4.2 Non-Standard Tyres and Rims) and may
              therefore be limited by other factors such as insufficient clearance.
              Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected tyre and rim combination to within
              the degree of accuracy specified in ADR 18 where applicable. It is suggested that the degree of
              accuracy is in accordance with the most recent version of ADR18.
              I'm tempted to just pinch the tyre placard from another pajero that has the larger tyres listed to save issues, as it doesn't say model range just says "that vehicle"

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                I'm tempted to just pinch the tyre placard from another pajero that has the larger tyres listed to save issues, as it doesn't say model range just says "that vehicle"
                Why not see if a tyre placard for a GLS or Exceed can be ordered as a spare part?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

That's a good idea-didn't even think of something like that

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

I'm guessing also that for any variant, you could choose to get the wheels they offered on other variants from the dealer when brand new, would that be correct?

Can anyone tell me a variant that had the larger wheels. I'm going to have to get a vin number to try for placard from dealer. Partsouq have them listed, but you can't purchase

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

I'm guessing also that for any variant, you could choose to get the wheels they offered on other variants from the dealer when brand new, would that be correct?

Can anyone tell me a variant that had the larger wheels. I'm going to have to get a vin number to try for placard from dealer. Partsouq have them listed, but you can't purchase
                      The GLS and the Exceed are listed as having the 265/70R16 tyre's fitted as standard.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Awesome, thanks Jack

Comment

• Alex86
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Here and there

Yep, GLS and Exceed had the 16in rims. I got those for the Escape.

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Thanks all, really helpful.

While on that topic-anyone know what the offset is for the gen 2? I can't seem to find the info after a fair bit of searching and have wondered if wheels from other makes fit

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Greater Sydney

Thanks all, really helpful.

While on that topic-anyone know what the offset is for the gen 2? I can't seem to find the info after a fair bit of searching and have wondered if wheels from other makes fit

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X