• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Old superwinch vs new domin8r??

Hi all. I was given a 9000lb superwinch, winch only. Model looks like it's 190TT but it's a bit smudged. Only seem to find info on new models through Google.
    Photo https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rAWtr527G6BCVdR6

I've been looking at the other bits I'll need to get it going and it's now left me with wondering if I should buy another.

I just have winch with steel cable, so need relay, controller, fairlead etc. I have no idea what condition the steel cable is. I would probably prefer synthetic/dyneema rope over steel for weight (and lighter fairlead) plus less drama if cable breaks under tension.

As I started looking into buying the extra bits I'll need the cost was adding up really fast. If buying 4wd supastore synthetic rope plus the other parts I was up over half the cost of buying a domin8r 12000lb with fairlead.

I guess my question overall is how good are the superwinch winches? (Considering this one is fairly aged and will need stripping down at least). I'm trying to make a comparison between this and something like a domin8r, and if I'm better off keeping this or just paying a bit more for brand new.

My requirement for a winch is because I'll generally be out on my own hunting and fishing, so the norm will be that I won't have anyone else there to help pull me out-basically need to be self sufficient, even though I'm not planning on going down the toughest tracks you can find

Anyway, would really appreciate some advice off you more experienced members

Thanks, Stu
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Bit more searching and it seems to be x9. Specs here https://superwinch.global/products/superwinch-x9-series

4.2hp compared to domin8r 7hp, although it does seem to have higher no load speed from what I've gathered. Current draw of the domin8r looks to be lower at 9000lb also, but not sure their figures actually add up their claimed power of that winch

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
      Bit more searching and it seems to be x9. Specs here https://superwinch.global/products/superwinch-x9-series

4.2hp compared to domin8r 7hp, although it does seem to have higher no load speed from what I've gathered. Current draw of the domin8r looks to be lower at 9000lb also, but not sure their figures actually add up their claimed power of that winch
      You also need to take into account the gearbox ratio, for example;

A winch may have 10,000lb single line rating and have a gearbox ratio of 125:1, draw 400amps and have a line speed of 10ft per minute but another winch with the same 10,000lb rating but may have a gearbox ratio of 250:1 and it will only draw 200amps and a line speed of 5ft per minute.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Cheers Jack. Yes, ratio is obviously lower on the superwinch (253:1) to the dominater (218:1) to get the pull with the lower hp. I'm a little confused how that relates to higher no load speed on the super winch, but I was only going on what people said about the domin8r as I can't see that info listed anywhere

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

Found it now. Yes, super winch much faster with no load, but heaps slower under load

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

I have an old X9 Superwinch. They are not the fastest (compared to modern winches) but are a good quality reliable winch. Before I got a winch pulley block, it successfully recovered my old Paj and camper trailer bogged in soft sand UP a sand dune and had enough power to slightly deform the ARB bullbar. I’ve not been bothered about the line speed - where I go, the recovery taking an extra 60 seconds or so isn’t going to make a difference to my my day.

Unfortunately though, I don’t know which is better - a new cheaper brand (ie 4wd Supercentre) or an X9 Superwinch.

I too have replaced the cable with synthetic rope and the solenoid pack with a modern one. Years ago I also stripped it down and replaced the grease with marine wheel bearing grease.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• dhula
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • South of Perth

Years ago when I was looking into buying my 1st winch I had got it down to Warn or Supawinch and some other brand I can't recall now (there weren't that many on the market then).
              I'd put Supawich on the list purely due to them being used in the Camel Trophy, If they stood up to that abuse, they should do me OK kind of thinking.
              In the end I got a Warn 9000lb low mount that was sitting in a shed for free, the insides looked like new when I opened it up and all I did was put a new SWR on it which cost me $50. After having seen a Supawinch used in anger compared to the Warn I had I would have preferred the Supawinch but when it's for free, you don't pass it up. That was 25-30 years ago tho.
              If it were me, I'd redo the Supawinch so long as the gears, brake etc are in pretty good nick and it can be refurbished without breaking the bank.
              2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
              2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. I haven't opened it up yet, a while off fitting it etc, but just trying to get the thinking part out of the way. I guess I should see what it's like inside before going any further

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

I used a solenoid pack like this ($42.50 delivered)

And a wireless remote like this ($12.40 delivered)

The you can get a Dyneema rope and fairlead kit for $100 delivered)

That $155 to get the Superwinch X9 up and running.

4wd Supercentre domin8r 12000lb is currently $369 delivered.
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

Thanks for that. You've found the eBay parts reliable? I was a bit iffy about the strength of the dyneema and whether the relay would handle what they say it will. If they are up to task that sounds perfect for me

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                      I used a solenoid pack like this ($42.50 delivered)
                      That solenoid looks identical to the item that's fitted inside my Grande/Dominator winch controller.

Problems encountered by me (fortunately at home during testing and not out bush when really needed):
                      - the solenoid is 'held' within the control box in a groove that allows the whole solenoid to move up and down. Flying leads became trapped between the casing and the solenoid and relentless corrugations resulted in a wire being pounded into two. Winch no worky.
                      -forward and reverse coils within the solenoid are formed on bobbins that are free to rotate on a round metal armature/post. The only restraint for the rotation of bobbins is the fine wire of the coils. The fine wire eventually breaks and one or more functions of the solenoid won't work.

Both of the above problems can be prevented with strategic application of glue or silicone to prevent movement.
                      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

That's good to know, thanks for that.

I don't have a control box with this winch, so was going to either make something else to work or mount it inside the engine bay

Comment

• geopaj
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Adelaide

Thanks for that. You've found the eBay parts reliable? I was a bit iffy about the strength of the dyneema and whether the relay would handle what they say it will. If they are up to task that sounds perfect for me
                          That's good to know, thanks for that.

I don't have a control box with this winch, so was going to either make something else to work or mount it inside the engine bay
                          I didn’t use the eBay rope so can’t comment on that but the solenoid pack and wireless remote has been great (they started life on my previous NL and were transferred with the winch to my NT when I bought it).

I mounted the solenoids in a low profile box which is attached behind the grill. (Actually, the solenoids are hard mounted to the car and the box is just cable tied on to protect the solenoids from water etc coming through the grill)

As well as a wireless remote I have also added both a winch master switch plus a winch in/out momentary rocker switch. This avoids accidentally activating the winch and give a reliable fallback should the wireless remote fail (or the battery go flat)

I also didn't like the idea of having a large un-fused cable right at the front of the vehicle (first thing to be damaged in an accident??) so installed a TJM isolator. At $25 for the kit (switch, bracket and short battery cable) I reckon you'd be crazy to have a winch and not use one.
                          Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Awesome, thanks geopaj. You addressed pretty much all the other little things I was thinking of-isolation switch and fall back controller on case of issues with the remote

I actually liked the idea of wired remote because of the reasons you mentioned, plus the ease of losing wireless remote. Problem is they are much more expensive, so a secondary rocker switch will suit me just fine I think.

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

So, I've finally looked at this winch. Turns out the motor is fairly toast-enamel on the windings is all burnt. All the wires look well separated so I thought I would try anyway but I can't get it to turn. Resistance between "terminal a" and ground is really high, and spec sheet says it should be very close to zero ohms

I'm assuming I'm wiring correct, as I've tried every combination but read that power goes to one field winding, and other field winding and "terminal a" is bridged. I just get sparks

Looks like replacement motors are available for $200. But that really does bring the price to the same or higher than a 4wd super store Domin8r

From the comments here it seems there superwinches are popular, but is it worth refurbing this one for the same price as brand new domin8r?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X