• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DatPaj
    • Jul 2019
    • Armidale

Powdercoated factory wheels

I thought I'd share the results of a little wheel project I embarked on a while back. I found a set of factory 18" wheels for sale on Gumtree and thought I'd have a play with painting them to replace the standard 17" wheels I had already. I needed new tyres anyway. There were very few aftermarket options due to the brake caliper and high offset issues, and I didn't like the look of them in any case. I also got the 18s for $500 in near-new condition which I thought was pretty good.

What I started with (boring!)

After powdercoating

The end result

I went with Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tyres and I reckon it looks much better. I painted the centre caps with a plastic primer and undercoat before a satin black finish and it's very close to the wheel colour. I also found some black wheel nuts online and a set of black valve covers. It's surprising how much the old silver valve covers stand out on the new wheels haha.

The only issue I had was that the balancing weights didn't stick very well to the powdercoating, but fortunately I found two had fallen off before I moved the car and could see from the dust where they had been placed.

All in all a quick, successful project!
  • Pugg
    • Mar 2016
    • Queenstown

Hey DatPaj,

looking good, I had thought of doing the same some time ago as I have 2 sets of 18in wheels, muds & all terrains.
    Powder coating was kinda pricey if not DIY & didn't know how long it would last.
    Could be tempted seeing yours as my Pajero is pearl white.
    cheers
    NS Super Exceed 3.8, MCC bar, Hella daytime, Bushskinz, Boos rear bumper protector, Diff and trans breathers, Safari snorkel, lift with Lovells/ Bilsteins, Runva Winch, Good year wrangler duratrac 265/60/18, plus a set of Desert Hawk Muds on a second set of wheels.

Comment

• wesyscott
      • Sep 2019
      • Echuca

Looks nice

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• DatPaj
        • Jul 2019
        • Armidale

Originally posted by Pugg View Post
        Powder coating was kinda pricey if not DIY & didn't know how long it would last.
        I paid $280 for the local shop to soda blast the wheels and powdercoat them. I took them in with no valves and no balancing weights. If you can wait a while until they have other coating jobs to do at the same time they like it. Satin black is also a common colour apparently.

My motorbike frame was powdercoated in the same colour a few years ago and has held up really well, including parts where boots rub on the frame. So long as we stay away from the kerb we should be OK with our mostly on-road driving.

Comment

• Bluepajee
          • Dec 2019
          • Melbourne

Didn't think alloy tool to powder coating

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X