• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
    Of course & I often wonder if it is the rite tyre for the rite job etc, if it was A batch issue be great if tyre comapnies didnt try & dodge replacement, but seems tyre warranties are almost useless & over the years more used as sales tools??

This part of article you referenced, I wouldn't have thought over inflation would cause heat , but you learn something every day. I would expect that from tyre under inflation & flex.

Tire Abuse

Over inflation of the tire, especially on rough roads. Excessive air pressures can cause excessive heat generation, accelerated wear and also doesn’t allow the tire to absorb road shocks. Especially from potholes.
    Some years back, on another forum, we had a comparatively new member post a diatribe about useless Cooper S/T tyres, (the originals - pre ST Maxx), how they had failed very quickly, and he wanted to know what he should try instead.

He had a very heavily kitted out Troop Carrier, running 33x12.5R15 tyres. These tyres are only good for about 1000 kg each - at maximum inflation pressure. He was travelling heavier than the combined maximum load rating of all four tyres, at much less than maximum inflation pressure.

The forum identified it was the wrong size tyre for the job, and no fault of the tyres themselves.

Long story short, he should never have been sold those tyres for that vehicle, and Cooper came to the party with a very good subsidy for new 16" wheels and tyres suited to his requirements. I suspect the numpties that sold him the wrong tyres are still selling poor tyre choice to unsuspecting customers.

It's not always the fault of the tyre.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      Some years back, on another forum, we had a comparatively new member post a diatribe about useless Cooper S/T tyres, (the originals - pre ST Maxx), how they had failed very quickly, and he wanted to know what he should try instead.

He had a very heavily kitted out Troop Carrier, running 33x12.5R15 tyres. These tyres are only good for about 1000 kg each - at maximum inflation pressure. He was travelling heavier than the combined maximum load rating of all four tyres, at much less than maximum inflation pressure.

The forum identified it was the wrong size tyre for the job, and no fault of the tyres themselves.

Long story short, he should never have been sold those tyres for that vehicle, and Cooper came to the party with a very good subsidy for new 16" wheels and tyres suited to his requirements. I suspect the numpties that sold him the wrong tyres are still selling poor tyre choice to unsuspecting customers.

It's not always the fault of the tyre.
      We have A saying at work, not tyres,

We've never seen a bad operator only A bad machine & the machine can't tell it's side of the story!

Sometimes though it is the machines fault 100%
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Excessive tyre pressures will also increase the incidence of tread punctures from rocks, accelerate wear on shocker bushes and strut mounts and really load up your shockers and struts.

There is always a "Goldilocks" tyre pressure, not too high, not too low, just right!

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Paj11
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

Decided to bite the bullit, the 7 year old KOs we’re now starting to make too much noise, even though they have decent tread it was time to go, also since they were a discontinued line I didn’t want to take the chance of having mismatched tyres if a tyre or two gave up, as I am doing some road trips after New Years, they came with the car when I bought it 3 year ago, so they really didn’t suit my purpose, I do mainly road driving with beach driving over the Xmas/New Year period, so today getting 5 Pirreli Scorpion AT plus 265/70/17 at $296 a tyre I couldn’t resist, these will for my needs better, they were pretty much the last set in the country apparently for that size, they reckon shipment won’t be coming into the country for another 4 weeks, seems the AT plus have been a popular tyre over the last 12 months, the reviews I have been reading have been positive.
          2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

The Pirelli AT Plus comes in both passenger and light truck construction and at a quick glance they look the same but they are not. The LT's have a deeper and wider tread with square shoulders and the light truck construction means they are heavier in weight but this hives you a stronger heavy duty tyre that is more robust.

Pirelli is not the only brand that does the "same" model tyre in both constructions.
            Buy the wrong tyre and you could be disappointed.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Paj11
              • Jun 2017
              • Sydney

Yeh, I made sure they are the LT at 121S.
              2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Paj11
                • Jun 2017
                • Sydney

Just got home, they are also date coded 09/19, so only 2 months old, so that’s an extra bonus.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X