• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpt
    • Jul 2012
    • NSW

Suspension Help

Hi, our Pajero has 200k on the clock and is well overdue for a suspension change, we have been quoted Tough Dogs by a supplier as well as Arb have quoted OME, I am keen on Bilsteins and Lovels
    (Bushkinz) however finding an installer near me in North West Sydney is difficult as I will supply the Billies.
    Quick question what are peoples opinion regarding the Old Man Emu, Tough Dog and the Bilstein/Lovel's, we have decided to stick with standard height for the upgrade.

dave
  • Ky1e
    • Aug 2015
    • Muswellbrook

I can't comment on the longevity of them, but I've just installed lovells/bilstein 50mm raised combo and they are a well build bit of kit, the shocks feel amazing. Been in a few days and ride is still a little firm, I went HD f&r, but they should settle down a little bit over time.
    I figured buy once and buy right. If you want lovells/bilstein then just buy them, anyone can fit them for you.

Comment

• dpt
      • Jul 2012
      • NSW

Thanks for the reply, Leaning towards the Bilsteins

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

The choice of coils that are standard height are limited and in most cases have a higher spring rate. At 200,000km you factory coils and shockers will be tired so expect a dramatic change in comfort and handling with new coils and shockers. If you have been happy with the factory setup then why not fit a near new factory set of coils and shockers than someone has removed from an NX?

How much has your current suspension sagged?
        Even with new factory coils your ride height could increase.
        Factory ride height is measured from centre of wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line is Front 503mm-505mm and Rear 533mm-535mm.

Bilstein shockers and struts give a firm compression and softish rebound so they are suited for those people that like a reduced body roll and brisk driving. Old Man Emu offer a range of coils so it is important to select the right coil for the weights you want to carry and the ride height you want. OME shockers and struts tend to ride much firmer than factory. There are plenty of other options in regards to both coils and struts/shockers, you just need to make your mind up what ride heights you desire and what axle weights you will be at unladen and laden, and if you tow what is the ball load?

What is your budget?
        What sort of driving do you do?
        What are your unladen axle loads?
        What are your laden axle loads?
        Do you tow, if so what is the towball download?
        On road only or on/off road driving?

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          If you have been happy with the factory setup then why not fit a near new factory set of coils and shockers than someone has removed from an NX?
          That’s what I was doing to suggest too.
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• dpt
            • Jul 2012
            • NSW

Thanks,
            Just had a reply from the local ARB store OLD MAN EMU do not do a Standard Height suspension set up, we don't do any major 4wd anymore just enjoy getting out, looking at the Bilstein/Lovells set up from Bushkinz and have our local TyrePoer fit these they have quoted us a Tough Dog set up however they work out the same price when you add fitting and a wheel alignment. WE have a heavy Camper Trailer and carry a 40 litre fridge in the back

Dave

Comment

• Retnaburn
              • Apr 2017
              • Melbourne

You Could go dobinsons the website i used was the cheapest for them and you can pick what duty springs you need eg if you have a bull bar and winch they have options on what you run on your rig to what springs you need they do have other brands on there web site also but i found dobinsons the most comfortable so far i went hd springs in the front and 400kg constant for towing in the rear.

heres the page https://www.autopartsco.com.au/carfi...-2006-12-2008/
              Lwb Ns DID 08 Current
              Kj Verada Gtv Current
              Vz SSZ 6.0ltr Current

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X