• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich0
    • Dec 2011
    • Sydney, South

Fraser vs Moreton

I need some help... Fraser or Moreton? I've done Fraser, Hook Point to Sandy Cape; Eli Creek, Lake MacKenzie, Champagne Pools, Waddy Point, Northern Scenic Drive, camped at Dunduburra and loved it! So I have a good idea what is on offer apart from Frasers west coast which I haven't seen much of apart from a day trip to Wathumba.

I'm inclined to go to Moreton for something different, but some of the travelling party (my girlfriend and a friend from the UK) haven't been to either.

Problem is I sold Fraser, now I have to sell Moreton. So there's wreck diving, beach swimming, hiking, surfing lakes, dolphins, beach camping...

Are the Moreton Lakes as spectacular as Fraser?

I'm keen to hear thoughts and opinions, and maybe some lesser known info...
    2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
    My build thread on the to do list
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Moreton is a LOT smaller than Fraser. Nowhere near as many, nor as scenic, lakes.
    Barge to Moreton is horrendously expensive.

IMO if you're making the trek from Sydney then Fraser is a MUCH better destination.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

No Dingoes to steal your stuff and very few backpackers on Moreton, that's about the only reason I'd choose it over Fraser. Much more to see and do on Fraser for sure. Both are great destinations though. It's been many many years since I've been to either of them.
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Lost1
        • Dec 2013
        • Melbourne

[ Much more to see and do on Fraser for sure. Both are great destinations though. It's been many many years since I've been to either of them.[/QUOTE]

+1. But if your pressed for time I'd do Moreton from Sydney.
        09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• DJS75
          • Apr 2015
          • Gold Coast

I have been going to Moreton for over 30 years and prefer it to Fraser. Smaller, less crowds and the expensive barge helps to keep the "riff raff" away

Comment

• MyExceed
            • May 2014
            • Hobart, Tas

my vote goes to Fraser island, especially if your taking 'guests'. much more to see and do and its one of those bucket list things, no offence to Moreton Island, but you wont find it on as many peoples bucket list.

And before any Moreton Island purists start raging, yes ive spent many years on both islands and love them both
            Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• Brownie
              • Nov 2008
              • Brisbane

Fraser is more spectacular, the World Heritage listing might have been a clue. For first time visitors or one time visitors, Fraser would be the obvious choice.

I have had the good fortune to spend a lot of time on both islands, these days my personal preference is Moreton, as its about 90% as good as Fraser, but so much quieter, peaceful and relaxing.
              Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
              Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X