• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yarrum
    • Apr 2008
    • Brisbane

Drive shaft balancing in Brisbane

Hi folks,
    I have a vibration that comes starts at 80kph and stays until 100kpm. It has been there for ages, but I really notice it these days because I no longer drive the Paj on a regular basis.

It is a 1999 NL Escape, manual.
    I replaced the universal joint, had wheels rebalanced and even put another set of wheels on. Nothing changed. It is not engine or wheel related. It is speed related. At 85kph I can put it in neutral and the vibration stays the same.

I am down to the drive shaft and other moving bits. I am looking for someone to take it to in Brisbane for drive shaft balancing. I work in Banyo, so near there would be good, but I'll look at all recommendations.

Thanks in advance
    Paul
    1999 NL Escape. EFS springs & shocks, bullbar, Cargo barrier. It's a tourer, not an off road monster.
  • watto
    • Jul 2009
    • Brisbane

driveshaft balancing

Google is your friend...

Universal Drive Shaft Services Queensland
    Putting The Drive Back Into The Shaft.
    An Australian owned and operated local family business servicing Brisbane's northside since 1988.
    446 Newman Rd, Geebung QLD 4034
    ph: (07) 3633 0642

Comment

• Yarrum
      • Apr 2008
      • Brisbane

Thanks Watto. Yes I was being lazy, but looking for a recommendation.
      Cheers.
      1999 NL Escape. EFS springs & shocks, bullbar, Cargo barrier. It's a tourer, not an off road monster.

Comment

• Barneymutt
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Regents Park. Qld

Hey mate, let us know how you go.
        I have exactly the same problem and haven't been able to find the problem.

Comment

• Yarrum
          • Apr 2008
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Barneymutt View Post
          Will do Barneymutt. I am taking the drive shaft in tomorrow. It is a 1 - 2 day turn around.
          I sure hope it is the drive shaft, because looking further just sounds expensive.

Paul

Comment

• Bogger
            Unregistered as asked
            • May 2011

Mark shaft and rotate 180 degrees just to check if Vibe stays the same ?
            Jack rear and check for wheel runout ............ I know you changed wheels but bent axle / flange will do it also. can even be as simple as a bit of crap between rear disc and axle drive flange causes wheel to runout.
            Sagged rear mount or raised suspension changing angle uni has to drive thu will /or can also do it.

Comment

• Yarrum
              • Apr 2008
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
              Mark shaft and rotate 180 degrees just to check if Vibe stays the same ?
              Jack rear and check for wheel runout ............ I know you changed wheels but bent axle / flange will do it also. can even be as simple as a bit of crap between rear disc and axle drive flange causes wheel to runout.
              Sagged rear mount or raised suspension changing angle uni has to drive thu will /or can also do it.
              Thanks for the reply Bogger.
              I did put in new springs, giving just under 50mm lift after settling in. The angle of the uni isn't very steep. I checked that one.

I rotated the shaft 90deg at a time and it didn't make a lot of difference.

What do you mean by "wheel run out"? Does this mean the wheel is not spinning true on the axle?

The drive shaft still has its weights front & rear. If it is the shaft it must have been like that since new or a replacement shaft put in some time.

I can only work through the process of elimination.

Thanks
              Paul

Comment

• watto
                • Jul 2009
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Yarrum View Post
                Thanks Watto. Yes I was being lazy, but looking for a recommendation.
                Cheers.
                Hi Yarrum, all good mate,I couldn't remember their name off hand, just that they were in your vicinity. I haven't used them myself, but have heard good feedback about them from a friend who had similar dramas to yours, but on a Patrol,, chased the problem for a year, then ended up being the driveshaft.

Sounds like you've tried all else, they seem to know their stuff and will check all driveline components like uni joints etc. at the same time.

I am actually feeling a slight vibe at 80kph myself, could be a recent suspension lift, but haven't chased things like wheel balances yet, cause its very mild, and only just noticeable.

Good luck, please keep us all informed of how you go this week.

Comment

• Bogger
                  Unregistered as asked
                  • May 2011

Will do Barneymutt. I am taking the drive shaft in tomorrow. It is a 1 - 2 day turn around.
                  I sure hope it is the drive shaft, because looking further just sounds expensive.

Paul
                  Paul regards wheel runout (you should be able to pick it when back wheel spinning) If axle shaft is bent will create wheel to runout (wobble) also with the top hat design of the rear disc if any foreign body gets between axle flange and disc face when you tighten wheel it will not allow wheel to pull up disc parallel to axle flange and again give runout.
                  Your right but it is a case of chasing the pesky problem down. Shaft could be out of balance or also could be twisted causing the uni's to run out of phase.

Comment

• Yarrum
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Barneymutt View Post
                    Hi Barneymutt.
                    Put the shaft back in this afternoon and went for a drive. Vibration gone. Cost $110.
                    The guy at the garage said it wasn't out by much, but they did put small weights at each end. The car is now smooth through the speeds. Now I just have to put on quieter tyres and replace the exhaust and the car will be a delight to drive. maybe.

Cheers

Comment

• rogg
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Melbourne

Hi Barneymutt.
                      Put the shaft back in this afternoon and went for a drive. Vibration gone. Cost $110.
                      Did you remove and replace the shaft? So price only covers the balancing? Just getting an idea on price as I think I have a similar problem.
                      www.jonnorodd.com

Comment

• Barneymutt
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Regents Park. Qld

Hi Barneymutt.
                        The guy at the garage said it wasn't out by much, but they did put small weights at each end. The car is now smooth through the speeds. Now I just have to put on quieter tyres and replace the exhaust and the car will be a delight to drive. maybe.

Cheers
                        Thanks Yarrum, I'll organize to have mine done also.

Comment

• Yarrum
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by rogg View Post
                          Did you remove and replace the shaft? So price only covers the balancing? Just getting an idea on price as I think I have a similar problem.
                          Hi Rogg, Yes, I removed the shaft. The $110 was for them to balance. They checked if it was straight, twisted and balanced, then gave it a fresh coat of black paint. They also checked the CV joint at the front end of the shaft. Mine was worn but ok.

My street has a medium slope to it. I parked nose down and I lost an egg cup of oil when I removed the shaft. I put a plastic bag with rubber bands over the seal to keep it clean. An easy job.

Cheers
                          Paul

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X