• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boganracing
    • Aug 2010
    • regents park

putting unleaded into diesel

ok as i was filling up today i accidently put 17ltrs of petrol into my diesel pajero, when i noticed this i then put about 50ltrs of diesel on top of that to try and dilute it abit it seems to run fine and drive fine but is it doing any damage to my engine or will it be right?
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

I believe the biggest issue is that the petrol does not provide the required level of lubrication to your injector pump.
    I am unsure as to whether the Petrol and diesel will mix in your tank, or whether one type of fuel will float on top of the other?? This could create issues if the pump starts sucking up raw petrol once the level in the tank drops?
    If it was my car, i would have emptied the tank and refilled with clean Diesel....
    Having just had to replace the injector pump in my car, I know they ain't cheap!
    Good luck and I hope it doesn't cause you any issues....
    Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• boganracing
      • Aug 2010
      • regents park

i had a 1/4 of a tank of diesel when i put the 17ltr of petrol in it then put another 50ltrs of diesel in it so it not even a 1/4 petrol so fingers crossed it will be right, what if i put some 2 stroke oil in it for extra lubrication?

Comment

• Bing
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • Currently QLD

The safest procedure would have been to drain the tank and refilled with Diesel. Probably a lot cheaper to do than to suffer damage and cost.
        2010 Platinum LE. Cool Silver, Auto, DiD, MM Rear Difflock. HD MM Tow bar and Lift Kit. Buzz Racks.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

Originally posted by boganracing View Post
          what if i put some 2 stroke oil in it for extra lubrication?
          Perhaps that would be a good idea. It certainly won't hurt!
          But how much to put in,I would not know Sorry......
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Big Daddy D
            • Jan 2011
            • SA

If you're not going to drain your tank, like everyone has advised you do, then you might as well pour in 2 litres of your mums cooking oil into your vehicle and, as you said, cross your fingers.

Comment

• peter92
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2009
              • maryborough queensland

that amount of petrol wont hurt the pump or anything else just add a diesel additive to your fuel tank and everything is fine
              i did the same as you years ago and every thing on mine was fine
              regards peter
              used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
              now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
              bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
              SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

Sorry mate , but i work in this industry and the most we will allow is 2.5 litres of unleaed to 100l of diesel, you are way over that mark and risk damaging your engine. I would drain he tank and then blend back in 10 litres of the drained fuel to 50 litres of fresh diesel until you haave used it up.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• boganracing
                  • Aug 2010
                  • regents park

peter92 how much unleaded did you put in can you remember? i might have to drain my tank if ive put too much in

Comment

• knibbsta
                    • Jan 2011
                    • East Hills NSW

just drain it all and start with fresh diesel. easy!

Comment

• paulisok
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Brisbane North Side

I would siphon 20 litres out and blend it back in over next tank or 2

"Don't argue with an Idiot
                      They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

2009 NT GLX 3.2 DiD Auto, Ironbark, MM Alloy Bull Bar, TJM Classique Side Steps, Fogs, GME TX3440 UHF, Dual Battery, Pajero Sports Roof Racks, DIY Rear Storage, Fridge, Tint, Tow, and loviin it.

Considering Mods; OME Sports Suspension, Snorkel

Comment

• boganracing
                        • Aug 2010
                        • regents park

might syphon a bit out and top up with diesel again and just use what i syphoned for cleaning or starting fires

Comment

• peter92
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • maryborough queensland

if in doubt, drain it out
                          what i did with mine was right but remember i was out at birdsville and didnt have the option of draining it. so take it out the best you can and if you want to slowly add some or through it it a car on petrol and get rid of it that way
                          best advise i could give under your situation
                          hope this helps
                          regards peter
                          used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
                          now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
                          bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
                          SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Peakhurst, Sydney

Bit wasteful & expensive!

Originally posted by knibbsta View Post
                            I like the idea of adding some oil from the local fish'n'chip or takeaway shop. The thicker, the better to lower the octane & lubricate everything!
                            Just filter it through several layers of paper-towel beforehand.

Cheers
                            Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                            "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2000
                              • Tasmania

Originally posted by knibbsta View Post
                              yeah whats a tank of fuel worth? $100 bucks & a bit, whats a stuffed motor worth?? . I washed my paper air filter on my diesel tractor in petrol, & made the mistake of putting it back on & firing it up before the filter had dried, the motor nearly blew its head off, talk about turbo!! I've never heard anything like it before, I shut it down as soon as I could, seems no damage was done thank god.

BTW you can get petrol injection kits for diesel motors: http://chipit.com.au/product-info/di...jection-system
                              Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 09-01-11, 09:09 AM. Reason: .
                              NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                              NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X