Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

The Old arguement. ULP vs Oil Burner - Economy.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smocky
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
    rofl exhaust emissions, what are they? haha. diesel engines may be getting better but considering my old 19yr old V6 donk (with extra rolling resistance, due to brick shape and larger rubber) is getting pretty close to the same fuel consumption as ur diesels and i still have plenty of get up and go, petty all the way

flame on hahaha
    ROFLMAO...... that's a good one........
    Jason., Sydney. 2008 DiD Exceed. Silver/Dakar, diff lock, sunroof, towbar, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, tinted, OME 2" lift, GME 3440 UHF, Stebel air horn, 180XP Roo Lites and a RalliArt jacket

Comment

• bakerboy
      "valued 3000+ member"
      • May 2008
      • Perth

yeah i am, 13L for the old girl to 10L, not too bad imo
      If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Smocky
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
        yeah i am, 13L for the old girl to 10L, not too bad imo
        I'm no mathematician, but is that 30% MORE ???

And seriously, the extra stuff that is being powered now, the quieter more comfortable ride, the lower emissions (which I happen to believe are important) and the almost limitless torque that these things now produce.....

My boss has a V8 Range Rover Sport (diesel) and the power of that thing is truly amazing.

Not to mention that companies like Audi are now producing 3/4 of all their new models as diesels.

C'mon get with the program.....

Cheers,

Smocky.

P.S. hope you're enjoying this as much as I am. Also, should mention that I'm coming out of a V6 Rodeo that get's about 18l/100km and a range of about 350kms..... bring on the diesel !!!!
        Jason., Sydney. 2008 DiD Exceed. Silver/Dakar, diff lock, sunroof, towbar, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, tinted, OME 2" lift, GME 3440 UHF, Stebel air horn, 180XP Roo Lites and a RalliArt jacket

Comment

• 8seconds
          • Apr 2008
          • Katanning, WA

Petrol or Diesel?

Who gives a crap. I've always said that if I'm going to whinge about the price of fuel I'll just have to buy a micro machine to drive around in......Never going to happen. Secondly I'd give up drinking beer before I'd complain about having no money to put fuel in my vehicle......Never going to happen.

I came from an XR6 Turbo before my Petrol NS its fuel consumption is on par with it easily. Obviously it isn't as fast but comparred to the diesels of various makes I test drove before making the final decision, I have a great big smile every time I pass a semi on a highway without a run up.

Fuel is cheap considering where it gets us and the things it allows us to do. My advice is to get out there and burn up plenty of it before some city goody goodies starts begging every idiot politician to ban these 4WD for anybody but farmers or outback residents because they use too much fuel are too big and endanger the lives of kiddies with their size and bullbars.

Don't waste time....just get out there and pop up the bird in the face of anyone who tries to stop you or discourage you in your pursuit. :0

Comment

• psproule
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
            You ppl can all just keep kidding yourselves about the price savings of diesel all you like.
            My opinion still stands.
            If you actually bother to do the maths properly youll be surpised at how much difference there really is!!

But at the end of the day its personal preference so dont try and convince everyone that there are savings there that simply arent there.

Cheers
            Adrian

P.S. jerry cans are a lot cheaper than a long range tank.
            Yup - I've owned, driven, fuelled and serviced both over considerable distances, but I must be completely wrong. Must have failed maths (page 1) too. Go figure!
            Last edited by psproule; 17-06-08, 06:50 AM.
            2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
            2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• boofenlpajero
              • Jan 2008
              • Brisbane, Australia

Fuel is cheap considering where it gets us and the things it allows us to do. My advice is to get out there and burn up plenty of it before some city goody goodies starts begging every idiot politician to ban these 4WD for anybody but farmers or outback residents because they use too much fuel are too big and endanger the lives of kiddies with their size and bullbars.
              Damn straight wont be long before those assholes make everyone drive little pee shooters. As for the kiddies, sensible driving and attention can prevent alot of unfortunate accidents.

As for bull bars, i've seen plenty of accidents where a smaller car has hit a pedestrian and ended up killing both parties. I'll keep my bull bar thanks!

Comment

• thorno
                • Jul 2007

I have owned 2 diesels and now drive an LPG 3.5 auto. The original point of this thread was economy. The bottom line is if you need to keep the rear seat well for recovery gear then you will be better off with a diesel. They are a great motor.

You need to honestly look at what you will use the Pajero for. Mine is the family wagon, does the school run twice a day (15k's round trip), the shopping, family visits around Brisbane, and holidays about twice a year. If I go 4WDing it is usually sand. I run a small car to work.

I have the normal non-injected computer controlled mixer system. I start the engine cold on LPG no problem. After some initial issues, it has run flawlessly for 25k. I get 16l/100 fairly consistently. Have got as low as 14 on the highway. Mine has a K&N air filter and has been tuned for that. These are REAL day-to-day savings, and the difference seems to be getting greater every day.

LPG 16 X 0.66 = $10.60/100k's
                Diesel 9 X 1.70 = $15.30/100k's
                ULP 14 X 1.56 = $21.84/100k's

I have no intention of going to the 'desert'. Ever. So running a diesel every day in case I wanted to is crazy. I have never driven more than 400k's without finding an LPG station, so range is not an issue.

This topic will always start a flame war. Some people have paid up to an $8K premium for the diesel engine. That's a lot of money, and they will stand by their decision. I have a setup that is awesome for what it does every day. When (if?) you go to the desert, you will need to carry extra petrol. Or just hire a diesel Landcruiser.
                2013 NW 3.2 DiD VRX. EFS Elite HD 2" suspension. Boos Bash plates. Roley rear plate. Ironman bullbar with 1200lb winch and DRL's. 9" LED spots. Dual Battery. Ocam rails and roof rack, Kings 2.5x2.5 awning. Beaudesert exhaust with muffler delete. Safari snorkel. Provent 200 catch can. Single drawer with fridge slide, Evakool 50L fridge. Redarc Elite electric brake controller. EGR turned off and blanked. Idrive. Ultragauge.

Comment

• boofenlpajero
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Brisbane, Australia

I run a small car to work.
                  I am sure that most if not all people who have responded to this thread use their pajero everyday for the run to work, kids to school, shops etc. Other people don't have the luxury of having another car to run around in.

By the way how much did your small car cost you to buy? 8 K???

Comment

• thorno
                    • Jul 2007

My point exactly! If your Pajero does everything, you need to keep your day to day running costs as low as possible. Glad we finally agree.

Actually my second car was nowhere near $8000, but with us both working we need it. The point was my savings would be even higher if the Pajero did the work runs as well.
                    2013 NW 3.2 DiD VRX. EFS Elite HD 2" suspension. Boos Bash plates. Roley rear plate. Ironman bullbar with 1200lb winch and DRL's. 9" LED spots. Dual Battery. Ocam rails and roof rack, Kings 2.5x2.5 awning. Beaudesert exhaust with muffler delete. Safari snorkel. Provent 200 catch can. Single drawer with fridge slide, Evakool 50L fridge. Redarc Elite electric brake controller. EGR turned off and blanked. Idrive. Ultragauge.

Comment

• psproule
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Googong, NSW

It's actually a fair bit cheaper in our instance to run the Paj around town than it is the wife's Camry. Such are the wonders of Novated Leasing
                      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• 8seconds
                        • Apr 2008
                        • Katanning, WA

Originally posted by thorno View Post

LPG 16 X 0.66 = $10.60/100k's
                        Diesel 9 X 1.70 = $15.30/100k's
                        ULP 14 X 1.56 = $21.84/100k's

Beer 24 x 3.50 = $84/Week @ Pub + Fags + Chips + Picture Mag + TAB + Pie from servo on way home etc.....

Fuel = Very Cheap!!!!

Comment

• boofenlpajero
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Brisbane, Australia

Beer 24 x 3.50 = $84/Week @ Pub + Fags + Chips + Picture Mag + TAB + Pie from servo on way home etc.....

Fuel = Very Cheap!!!!
                          You forgot the milk!!

Comment

• Ben D
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Bribie Island, QLD

Originally posted by Smocky View Post
                            I'm going Diesel and thought I might add a couple of other reasons apart from the already stated range and torque.

Diesel has lower emissions, which is why it is majorly preferred in Europe. Most of the Europead cars coming out now are Diesels. The newer technology in CRD's make them a much better option. There is also bio-diesel which will become much more accessible.

Smocky.
                            Smocky is right and also, the inherent torque characteristics of the diesel is probably better suited to lugging a 2 tonne vehicle around, whether it be in the city or offroad. I tow around 2 tonnes of racecar with my NM DID auto and wouldn't have anything else. I reckon I have the best of both worlds now with mine with LPG over the top. Around town fuel economy has improved from 9.6 L/100 km on average to 7.7 L/100 (25% improvement, not towing of course) and you can feel the power has improved too (probably by the same amount 23-25%, based on data published by other people who do such conversions). I did my own EFI LPG vapour injection system and got the installer to put in the tank and certify the vehicle so I could get the $2K rebate from the government, so it cost me nothin except I no longer have the 3rd row of seats in the car (never used them anyway). I fill up the gas every 4th tank of diesel, ie. every 4000 + km ! So with gas over diesel in the DID you could just about drive from Brisbane to Perth without having to fill up the gas, and you definitely don't need a runup to overtake at highway speeds. With LPG around 65 cents/L vs 1.65 or more for diesel you get a cost saving of around $20 per tank over diesel alone.

I reckon thats one up for the diesel...
                            2002 NM DiD Auto. 322,000 Km, still going strong
                            2010 NT DiD Auto. New toy.

Comment

• green monster
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2008
                              • Adelaide

[QUOTE=Smocky;20244]
                              Diesel has lower emissions,
                              , I'm siding with the fact that diesel will be CHEAPER than petrol in the nxt couple of years.
                              I QUOTE]

lower emissions ?? ,,didnt the government just release new evidence to prove they are definately not??, also considering diesel is a by product of petrol ,(made with the crude left over) and is now fast becoming more expensive to refine due to ever tightening emission regs, but i suppose an increase in demand should help bring the cost down
                              anyway none of this matters as it will all run out one day and i will buy a new hydrogen powered Pajero,, brilliant cant wait
                              for the record i have a 3.5 LPG injected, my old man has a 3.2 diesel i like driving his due to the effortless power it has and the turbo whistle sounds awsome ,,but he loves driving mine says its much smoother feels quicker and quiet too,,,,, each to there own i reckon,,,how about we leave this disussion alone as a conclusion will never be gotten too
                              if i could ,,i would have both, as they are great cars/engines in their own rights.!!!
                              just my 2c
                              cheers cam
                              NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• Pajero_Pete
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2008
                                • Adelaide Hills

It's an interesting topic.......
                                Even more so now that Diesel is cheaper than Petrol.
                                I've had the V6 Petrol and an LPG Dual fuel paj and now I've tasted the features of the DiD I'll be very surprised if I ever go back to either again.
                                For towing, touring, 4wding, torque, range, safer fuel to carry, cheaper to run why dont we all drive a diesel ??
                                Because we're all different I guess ! ( and they cost more initially and more to service )
                                As long as you're happy with YOUR truck thats all that matters.
                                And I love my diesel .
                                Cheers PP
                                Last edited by Pajero_Pete; 18-02-09, 12:18 PM. Reason: typo .
                                Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X