• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

plasti dip/kote and fibreglass

is it ok to paint fibreglass with one of the various plastic paints out of a pressure can?? I havnt seen any directions on the can relating to use on fibreglass.....

my snorkel needs a crack repair (cheap clone made of glass, not plastic) and it also looks a bit faded, so was thinking of giving it a spray to make it look better again.

or, is there a better product to use to repaint the fibreglass??
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • Jimbo2
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Bendigo

Paint is fine for fibreglass.
    Make sure you fo repairs first, auto bog is perfect to fill pin holes and surface cracks
    2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

• MSF
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2009
      • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Plasti-dip will work fine also.

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

yeah the crack is going to get drilled at the ends, and I've got some resin and bit of glass tape etc to cover it. It is thru the entire material thickness not just a crazing type crack.

now, i don't know if i want to remove it to paint, but i might have to (which would be anonoying). Is plasti dip type stuff available in a tin to brush on?? Ive never really looked into what this stuff is but lots of people here seem to recommend it.
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• MSF
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2009

Plasti-dip (the "painting" version) is only available as an aerosol can or in 1 or 4 litre tins designed for use in a spray gun.

You can get the original plasti-dip which was used to coat things like handles on tools (eg, the plastic/rubber handles on a pair of pliers etc)- I think that would be far to thick to paint on with a brush though...

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

righto cheers. Might just have to mask up a lot and spray carefully, behind closed doors for less wind!
            don't the i can be bothered removing the snorkel.....

Comment

• MSF
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2009

The good thing with plasti-dip is that it is VERY forgiving - so even someone like me that can't use a aerosol spray paint can to save his life (always get runs or poor coverage) - can finish up with an awesome looking job.

As for masking - few plastic bags and some masking tape is all you will need.

check out a few youtube videos from the blokes at 'dipyourcar.com' for some great tips and tricks..

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

Have done the repair, now I just need to decide which colour.

Do i keep it black or go for something different????

Comment

• MSF
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2009

Keeping it the same colour is always easier as there much less work required to make sure you get 100% coverage...

Comment

• Alex86
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Here and there

makes sense. Might try get it done black again during the week.

my first fibreglass attempt is a bit crappy, but itll to. I don't expect this snorkel to last much longer, i think the fibreglass isn't holding up to the conditions up here. Either a replacement safari or ill see if someone can fab up some stainless pipe locally...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X