• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David V
    • Jun 2017
    • Bendigo

Are short town trips bad for DID?

Hi all.

Our family is on the lookout for another Pajero.

After reading many posts it seems the DID is great for medium to long trips, but if used in town on many short trips it may not be great. Could anyone verify this for me.

I'm really leaning toward a NP or newer manual diesel as I have heard so many great reviews etc. My potential problem is that my work involves multiple town trips anywhere from 4kms to 15kms up to 10 times a day - this includes taking kids to school and back as well.

My wife and I, and boys, are very happy with the Pajero and really want another one. Looking at diesel as we may get a caravan in the near future.

Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Thanks

David
    Previously - 2001 NM Auto 3.5
    Now - 2007 Toyota Kluger
    Wanting to return to the fold 😁
  • MTN-KAT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Gold Coast

In a word "YES".
    They are more problematic in that they get more carboned/sooted up. After all they are a sooty engine to begin with. Came from an industrial background where they run all day, happily. Dealers in the UK advise new car buyers not to buy diesel if they do mostly short trips.
    The emissions from modern petrol engines is less toxic than diesel. Don't see clouds of black smoke emitted from petrol engine under acceleration but even new diesels do this. Oil burners they are. To make matters worse the quality of diesel in Aus is poor or so I have read.
    The Chinese SUV brand HAVAL was to be all diesel but were switched to petrol at the last minute due to global rejection of diesel powered cars in the city. India, Paris, London etc have moved in this direction so for a global vehicle manufacturer like HAVAL who want to sell vehicles globally have decided the future is petrol, especially now with 8 speed autos and turbos to go. The HAVAL H9 is a good example with 2 litre petrol engine and got in the top ten 4x4 list second year in a row.
    Alternatives for you? Your right in the era where the world was told diesel will save the planet (how that flew I will never understand) so the petrol engine got dropped for a few years but it's back. You could look at a 3.8 litre V6 but expect higher fuel consumption than the current 3.5 litre you are feeding. Considering you plan to tow a caravan (which the 3.8 V6 will do) you buy diesel knowing there will be desooting (is that a word?) expenses, and if the diesel motor ever dies they are three times as expensive to repair over the petrol. Turbos and diesel pumps cost thousands each too but not so on the 3.8 V6 petrol. OOOH I can hear the diesel guns being cocked now. It's best you make your choice with eyes wide open. Cheers.
    99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

Shots fired, shots fired. Damn these petrol lovers. Jokes.

From what I've read diesels with a DPF block up if only being driven on short trips. If you do go diesel then try to get one with no DPF.

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Having Fun
        • Jun 2015
        • Adelaide

We have had an auto 3.8 petrol NP for 3 years & a manual 2.5L turbo diesel Ute for 8 years.

The Ute short trips most days. Never does a long trip unless we're on holiday in it. No soot issues as yet. I have not blocked the EGR.

The NP is a great car, far more comfortable & drive-able than the Ute. But when it tows a caravan the fuel usage makes my eyes water!

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
          In a word "YES".
          They are more problematic in that they get more carboned/sooted up.
          Oh? Where?

My Pajero does short trips of around 4km each way to and from work each day.

After 5 years it is no sootier than when new in the intake manifold. The exhaust doesn't seem any sootier than any other and it only blows clouds of black smoke when I plant the foot and put it under load - just like it did when new.

As for engine wear, oil does get changed more regularly than required in the book servicing, recognising that this is a more "severe" application.

The one thing that does happen is that the battery doesn't get enough time with engine running to fully charge. This means that it needs periodic connection to a charger to keep it topped up. I haven't noticed any soot in the battery.
          Chris

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

It has long been the case that diesels are much more happy with longer runs.I rarely do less than 25 ks at a time. and prolly 10 to 15 mins of that are at 100 kms .hr.
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Plez
              • Jul 2018
              • South East QLD

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
              I haven't noticed any soot in the battery.

I laughed at that a lot more than I should have
              2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Sydney

A little soot about the thread though after the flaming
                NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Mazda just released the Cx8 diesel.. Thinks diesel will be around a lot longer then some are forecasting ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Nab
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Perth

I wouldn't worry about the soot issue. I had my NP 3.2 for over 5 years, did lots of short trips in between the big trips towing the camper, it drove the same when I sold it as it did when I sold it.

One issue withe the NP 3.2 is the injector pump issue. While not super common, a few on this forum have failed and you are up for around a $6k repair bill unless you can get a good secondhand one. I would go for a NT onwards if you can.
                    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Seigried
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2016
                      • brisbane

I do short trips almost all the time. Having said that both of the cars get a good run on the weekends etc

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• David V
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Bendigo

Thanks everyone for your answers. Still undecided.

Thinking maybe I will go for a cheaper older Pajero 3.5 manual and recon the engine if needed. Just don’t have the cash for anything over $12000 at the moment - kids school fees too exy.

Thanks

David
                        Previously - 2001 NM Auto 3.5
                        Now - 2007 Toyota Kluger
                        Wanting to return to the fold 😁

Comment

• rykiel575
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Sydney

I sold my pajero 3.2 and am now running petrol. The diesel would take a long time to get up to temp and when i drove it to the station itd still be not up to temp..

No good.
                          2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

For what it is worth, my NW diesel takes at least 20 km of travel at 100 km/h on fairly flat country before it reaches 85 Deg C. Short runs are a no no for me - we use out Outlander as a shopping trolley and the Pajero for longer trips, although of late the Outie has been used for some longer (1000+ km) trips. But I much prefer the Pajero anyway...

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
                              For what it is worth, my NW diesel takes at least 20 km of travel at 100 km/h on fairly flat country before it reaches 85 Deg C. Short runs are a no no for me - we use out Outlander as a shopping trolley and the Pajero for longer trips, although of late the Outie has been used for some longer (1000+ km) trips. But I much prefer the Pajero anyway...

You must be driving in very cold conditions. My NW Paj takes about 8 klms of 60-80 klm/hr driving to get to 87. Around 26 degrees outside. Friends Nw also takes the same time.
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X