• Show
Clear All
  • JapSwede
    • Nov 2018
    • Sweden

Presentation...

Hello all,

First:
    I won't be able to hang out with you guys/gals physically any time soon, since I don't live in Australia. But, I hope you can have oversight with that and bear with me anyway.

The car:
    - a 2010 Pajero Wagon
    - 3.8 V6 variant
    - paint - Dark Green it's called (picture makes it "lighter green than it is in real world)

Interior
    - LHD
    - beige leather trim
    - 7 seater possibility
    - No MMCS but "at least" the custom size Rockford audio solution and BT.

Customizations:

- previous owner built a custom exhaust system - it's both purring and growling now... for good and for bad

- an aftermarket GPS/phone holder on the top center of the dashboard for a Garmin GPS (for the time being - I am considering something different).

Upgrade wishes: The list is fairly small and focused on "convenience" and "light work" - terrain driving rules in Sweden are very stringent and on top of that, the clubs usually add a whole lot of their own "regulations". Safe yes - but expensive!!!!

Cheers from Sweden,
    JapSwede
    Attached Files
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by JapSwede View Post
    Hello all,

First:
    I won't be able to hang out with you guys/gals physically any time soon, since I don't live in Australia. But, I hope you can have oversight with that and bear with me anyway.

The car:
    - a 2010 Pajero Wagon
    - 3.8 V6 variant
    - paint - Dark Green it's called (picture makes it "lighter green than it is in real world)

Interior
    - LHD
    - beige leather trim
    - 7 seater possibility
    - No MMCS but "at least" the custom size Rockford audio solution and BT.

Customizations:

- previous owner built a custom exhaust system - it's both purring and growling now... for good and for bad

- an aftermarket GPS/phone holder on the top center of the dashboard for a Garmin GPS (for the time being - I am considering something different).

Upgrade wishes: The list is fairly small and focused on "convenience" and "light work" - terrain driving rules in Sweden are very stringent and on top of that, the clubs usually add a whole lot of their own "regulations". Safe yes - but expensive!!!!

Cheers from Sweden,
    JapSwede

Welcome. Nice looking colour.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

I do like that green they get in Europe.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Scrambler
        • Jul 2018
        • Toowoomba, Qld

Hi JapSwede. Welcome "down under."

While there are always things to dislike, Garmin use a map format which is now widely available. For example you can download OpenStreetMaps in Garmin format. Meaning ski maps, sea maps etc can be uploaded to a Garmin while still keeping (or updating) the original map as well.

My only issue with the Garmin system has been their failure to continue their mobile phones, which really were fabulous for GPS integration.
        =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
        =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• JapSwede
          • Nov 2018
          • Sweden

G'day,

Dicko1 / Aussieintaz - since I really wanted a LR Discovery4, in the classic Brittish "green and beige", this was as close fit as possible without being totally cleaned out financially with a LR D4.

Scrambler - I had the Garmin around from my previous car - Pajero Sport 1999.

Thanks for the nice welcome,

JapSwede
          Last edited by JapSwede; 08-11-18, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• JapSwede
            • Nov 2018
            • Sweden

Ok.

2 years with the Pajero and with only a few minor glitches (interestingly enough twice) the error code for cylinder 2 misfire.

I am both a happy, and an unhappy camper.

Great - the towing capability. 1750 kg Mit Galant VR4 on top of a 900 kg trailer - sure, the fuel consumption went "through the roof" but - everything was "smooth sailing" for 800 km.
            Great - the capability to just flip the back seats and in my wife's bike goes, standing upright inside.
            Great - no MMCS setup. That GPS solution was driving me insane, when I tried it out, looking to buy a Pj in the first place.
            Great - loading capacity. Geese hunting with 60 or so "fake geese" - not an issue with space.

Good - driving generally - I'd love some Flappy Paddles though.
            Good - the "boom box" setup.
            Good - no app-controlled super fancy solution for remote starting engine heating. I hate those gazillions of apps one "needs" to have for everything.

Bad - fuel consumption
            Bad - the need for an extra SatNav
            Bad - no rear looking camera, only rather insensitive sensors - and only in rear.
            Bad - previous owners did not make an extra rust proofing when it was brand new. Rust starting to show.
            Bad - no engine and cabin heater for those cold winter days up in the Nordics.

So - what to do?

First point on the agenda - the rust.

For some weird but thankful reason, most of the "terrible" rust was on removable parts.

Side-steps were looking awful - unfortunately more than just surface rust.

Rear bumper reinforcement had a large case of surface rust but, no hardcore rust.

Towing hook - paint starting to come off in chips. No deep rust, just surface rust.

Fuel tank - surface rust.

Back door - the metal hinge thingy covering the spare wheel - what a piece of rust... Some spots on the actual holder of the spare wheel but only surface rust.

Front skid plate - bumps and surface rust.

Ok - all went off and were shipped off for sandblasting and powder coating.

Got most parts back yesterday - My my my, I've gotten myself a huge "Grown-up Lego".. But, things are indeed looking pretty good. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...pictureid=5847

Got my hands on an original reverse camera and the door wire loom.

Got my hands on a Kenwood SatNav unit, along with some cabling to enable the steering wheel controls. Also got my hands on the original MMCS SatNav antenna.

So, while parts being away for paint etc, I got to work.

Cheers,
            JapSwede.
            Last edited by JapSwede; 16-09-20, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• JapSwede
              • Nov 2018
              • Sweden

Wire loom for the rear door....

Found an interesting thing - my Rockford setup has the electronic compass module fit in the back door. But understandably not the reverse camera.

So, I could not just "swap" the wire loom straight off. I want to keep the electronic compass of course. Also, I found out that the pins used for the camera, were actually having cables on the "receiving side" in the trunk of the car. This bodes well.

An hour and an half later, I had the camera part of the wire loom separated from the rest of the spare wire loom and started to wrap it up with tape again. Removing the pins out of the connector was not easy, until I found the little peg needed to be lifted. Once that was done, everything went in and I could just stick the connector pins in the existing loom's connector and there it was matched on the receiving side.

Left to do on the rear view camera part, is to find where the receiving side wires terminate - if I read the electrical schematics right, I can find it in the right front kick panel. In my case with a LHD, it's the passenger side. Or, I may even be so lucky that it's extended all the way up to where the head unit is placed.

However, I forgot to order the bolts to actually fit the camera on the spare wheel cover frame, so, a small order went in to the local Mitsu Dealer (I've ordered new bolts and nuts and clamps and God knows what for all those parts I've had for refusbishing already. The spare part responsible asked me if I am planning on re-building the entire car..

So, rust and no rear view camera items are on the way to be resolved.

I've also started to work on the flappy paddles...some Dremel'ing on a paddle set I got from a scrap yard over here, now, all I need is to ensure fitting is good enough.
              And some cables and electronic boxes to order.

So far, things are looking good. however, it's 3 weeks delayed since the refurbishing of the parts took longer time than expected. the company have had problems with staff and ill kids due to Covid-situation.

Anyhow, one last detail. I can't for my life figure out why M did not paint the handle part and the "other side of the spare wheel cover" - but rather left it as "dark grey matte" coloured plastics...so, a short trip to the local car painter and those two pieces are now high gloss, piano black painted. Just like the model name plate on the spare wheel cover.

Cheers,
              JapSWede

Comment

• JapSwede
                • Nov 2018
                • Sweden

Next step is to get the last parts from the refurbishing company. The fuel tank.

Also, a bottle of touch-up paint for the car is needed and some "glue" to make the plastic covers on the rear door become re-fitted. Just like it's also needed for the plastic parts on the side-steps.

Other than that, the grinder is to be brought out for the paddles, and once that's done, it's on to swapping out the head unit. A new bezel has been bought over flEbay and seems to be in decent finish to be approved for use. WAF must be kept high.

Also, I got my hands on a wireless rear view camera.....now all of you think I've gone mad, but, it's to support me when reversing with trailer, as it's to be mounted on the back of the trailer. I will however make it non-permanent as I sometimes hire trailers which are fully covered (mine's an open one) for transport of sensitive things so, here, the intention is to modify a standard "rental trailer" cable to power the camera, and then have long wires going to the rear of the trailer where the camera is. And yes, I WILL go and measure on a large trailer. Like a car transportation trailer size large. That should cover my needs for the forseeable future.. Too bad I did not get a 13-pin connector to the trailer, but only the old standard 7-pin.

Can't have it all, I guess.

Cheers for now,
                JapSwede

Comment

• JapSwede
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Sweden

Oh. Forgot another additions done earlier.

A year ago I got engine heater, cabin heater and battery charger mounted for winter season.

Plug the cable in to the 230 Volt outlet and everything is fine and dandy when you come out in the morning.

Also, since the inside of the car has fake wood panels, I got the wood sets for the doors, covering the area around the electrical window button. Got to make it a little more design consistent..

Cheers,
                  JapSwede

Comment

• GaryDM
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Victoria

Sounds like a fun project for you! Rear view camera is always a big help.

Comment

• DanFerns
                      • Sep 2020
                      • Tampa, FL

Hello, JapSwede! That's a sweet lookin' ride. Welcome aboard!

Comment

• JapSwede
                        • Nov 2018
                        • Sweden

GaryDM - Well - with Covid, I had to get something done to keep occupied (when not working the "daily grinder" ) ... and the up-keeping of me and my wife's utility vehicle is as good as any other activity. although, I'd LOVE to get dirty with my real car project - 1999 Galant VR-4 Type-S restoration.

DanFerns - Thanks - appreciate the welcome and the appreciation for the ride. It's really getting on quite good.

Cheers,
                        JapSwede.

Comment

• JapSwede
                          • Nov 2018
                          • Sweden

G'day all,

So, it is that time of year when it is time to wrap up the activities.

The Pajero -

1. The head-unit replacement is close to completed. I made a separate thread on it, to give a little back to the forum on my experience and what to do.

Ok, everybody seems to go at the headunit replacement activity in different ways..... So, I figured I'll do a write-up of how I did go about it. Mind you, it is not 100% finished but, I figure I write as things happen. Stock configuration of my car: I have the Rockford head-unit, WITHOUT Nav. (i.e. 6 CD changer, USB

Some bit's and pieces left, but, all in all, it's "running" now.

2. The rust repair. All done, but a few changes of bolts to new and non-rusty ones. My local Mitsi-dealer-contact commented that he did not ever think of having a Pajero in exhibition finish while at the same time the car's being used for all sorts of car transports and hunting etc.. (He did say it like that but, it's not THAT good finish on it).

3. Ditec (anti-rust) treatment. Paint - yes. Underbody rust prevention - not yet. The closest Ditec-shop, being the one we use, did not have a sizable enough lift for my "little baby" so, I am still looking.

Cheers,
                          JapSwede.

PS. I have gotten started on the 1999 Galant VR-4 also. But, not as far as expected/wanted. Time, even though with Covid around, seems to be at a shortage. Especially when you also have other interests, like hunting. (Bacon made from Wild Boar, is "the thing" at the present.. But, it takes a toll on the available time. DS.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X