• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Headlights come on with ignition

My wife's ZJ Outlander has developed a funny one. When I turn the ignition switch to ON, the headlights (and taillights) come on as well. Low beam only. Headlight switch is in the OFF position. Light switch works normally when the ignition switch is OFF. I have tried following the wiring diagram, but I get lost very easily.

I am going to try disconnecting the battery and see if the ETACS ECU resets itself. Anyone had this experience, or have any ideas?
  • Valron
    • May 2019
    • Fitzgibbon, Brisbane

That sounds like the follow me home lights. It's a feature and not really a problem. Unless it is a problem.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know, the 'Follow me home lights' come on when you remove the ignition key. Anyway, this is the very basic budget model and it probably doesn't have that function. It has been too cold (-9 Deg C) this morning), and my wife hasn't brought the car in for a pit stop, so as yet I haven't been out to disconnect the battery. As long as the lights go off when the ignition goes off (which they do), then it is not urgent as far as I am concerned. It never did this before - only in the last few weeks. It had a run to and from Sydney last week, and I was hoping that maybe the problem would go away, but not so. Sydney normally makes things worse, and we have to go back there again soon.I don't want to play too much with it in case it doesn't want to go after I play.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Well, success (I hope). The car came in for a pit stop, and I managed to disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes. Reconnect, turn on ignition and NO LIGHTS! Lights still come on and off normally when asked to do so. Just to check, I started the engine (it seems OK), and now for the final test, we have another long run to Sydney coming up so I'll see how the beast goes. Fingers crossed, it all seems back to normal....

So if this works OK, here is a solution should any of you meet this problem.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Well, the headlights still stay off unless I want them on. But now I have noticed that the driver's window does not automatically go up by itself. I have to hold the button to get the window to close. It seems as if something has happened to the ETACS ECU. Haven't found anything else (yet) which is going wrong. If that's all that goes wrong I won't complain.

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey Erad

Normally auto windows need resetting after battery disconnect. With the window up ignition on press down but hold button until the window is fully down and keep holding down for a couple of seconds.

Then press button up again holding uuntil window stops and continue holding few a few seconds.
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
              Hey Erad

Normally auto windows need resetting after battery disconnect. With the window up ignition on press down but hold button until the window is fully down and keep holding down for a couple of seconds.

Then press button up again holding uuntil window stops and continue holding few a few seconds.
              Thank you for that advice. I will try it ASAP. I wonder what else will change after the battery disconnect? Certainly the remote door lock is playing up. I had a new battery put in the key, but it is still going silly. My wife's remote works OK, and that is the one which gets used most of the time.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                Hey Erad

Aussieintas: You are a legend. I did what you said, and it all works now> Wonderful. Now, to get the remote lock/unlock working from my key. It works from my wife's key, but not mine. I had a new battery installed, but still no go. Maybe the battery is sus??

Has anyone had any problems with remotes not working even with new batteries?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X