• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul (SA)
    • Apr 2013
    • Australia

Raptor Coating

Hi there

Was keen to hear from anyone that has raptor coated any parts of their Pajero?

Any thoughts, advice or feedback would be great.

The Paj has a lot of plastic panelling which is prone to bumps and scrapes as does the rear storage area.

Cheers Paul
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

In my shop we use Raptor occasionally for specific jobs that need a tough surface coating. It certainly fills that requirement but we only use it on external components.

There are some things that you should consider if intending to use Raptor on internal parts.

- The standard method of application is with a Schutz underbody gun fitted to the container that Raptor comes in, after adding and mixing an isocyanate hardener. This hardener is highly toxic and suitable protective equipment is absolutely essential.

- Surface preparation for Raptor requires sanding with very coarse paper, essentially destroying the original finish and making restoration almost impossible. This means that you will impact, severely, on resale value should you ever want to sell the vehicle.

- The finish that you will get from a Schutz gun is rough. This is good for applications such as ute liners where it contributes to non-slip properties and ability to withstand knocks, as well as being able to be repaired if major damage occurs. However it is not at all suitable for internal components.
    - It is possible to get a smoother finish however this requires spray equipment and expertise that is likely only to come with an experienced tradesman. Even then, the finish isn't likely to be suitable for interiors.
    Chris

Comment

• Ellig
      • Jan 2020
      • Germany

Originally posted by Paul (SA) View Post
      Hi there

Was keen to hear from anyone that has raptor coated any parts of their Pajero?

Any thoughts, advice or feedback would be great.

The Paj has a lot of plastic panelling which is prone to bumps and scrapes as does the rear storage area.

Cheers Paul
      Have seen one in the German Pajero forum, looks great!
      Attached Files

Comment

• BaronVonChickenPants
        • Aug 2016
        • Shoalhaven, NSW

Not exactly the answer to your question but:
        I was tossing up between Raptor and Bully liners for my trailer.

I chose Bully for the following reasons:
        Water based, not catalyst required
        Easier to work with
        Additional coats and patches can be applied with out major sanding or prep
        Was less slippery when wet

Other notes:
        It is still heavy on the fumes, use a respirator and well vented area.

The Bully gun that screws onto the bottle gives a reasonably smooth but textured finish.

4L covered 3 coats of the internal sides and bed of a high side 8x5 trailer.

I bought a 4L pack with gun from Ebay for ~$250, price varies depending on colour.

Comparison video
        Car Builders applies U-Pol Raptor liner and Bullyliner to its off road racer and then put them through a series of tests. Which is the best liner for you?If ...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X