• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1WD
    • Aug 2011
    • Adelaide

Rear Door Strut

Has anyone priced a rear door strut?

I had this twonk who was 'helping' me pack some stuff in the back of my car and he forced the door closed with the latch in place, hence he's broken the strut clean in half.

I'll get it replaced, and he'll be paying. Not happy.
    OLD: NW Ironbark Platinum - MM Nudge Bar with Lightforce Genesis Halogens. Bilstein/Lovells combo +50mm. Bushskinz bashplate and sump guard.
  • Bigbaddave12
    • Jul 2012
    • South East S.A.

Originally posted by 1WD View Post

twonk be paying. Not happy.
    Is he envious of the Pajero?
    I bet his car has broken bits too!
    I really dislike people who aren't careful with my car.
    That's why I find it hard to ever like a mechanic!
    bigbaddave12.
    NW MY12 Platinum Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Greatwhites 18 Led Light Bar, Sandgrabba Mats, Wetseat Covers, Full EGR Block, Airtec Snorkel, Plus more when the money tree grows it's leaves back!

Comment

• JoshF
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Brisbane

$100+
      NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
      Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• 1WD
        • Aug 2011
        • Adelaide

I'll find out tomorrow.

I was helping the missus pack up from a work pissup. One of her drunk workmates (effing bankers), was putting stuff in the back, I put one last thing on the back seat, and I hear this 'clunk, crunch'... I thought WTF!? Walked around the back, and there was my strut hanging down him with a dumb look on his face. So I had to unbolt it so I could shut the door. I was (and still am) so pissed off.

You try and do the right thing and help out, and all you get is your shit broken.

Now the missus has gone to bed after chucking her guts up all over the laundry...

Ain't life grand sometimes...
        OLD: NW Ironbark Platinum - MM Nudge Bar with Lightforce Genesis Halogens. Bilstein/Lovells combo +50mm. Bushskinz bashplate and sump guard.

Comment

• Quietguy
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2011
          • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by 1WD View Post
          Has anyone priced a rear door strut?

I had this twonk who was 'helping' me pack some stuff in the back of my car and he forced the door closed with the latch in place, hence he's broken the strut clean in half.

I'll get it replaced, and he'll be paying. Not happy.
          The dealer where I bought my NW warned me re closing the door with the strut locked, BUT he said he lets owners have one free replacement, then afterwoods any future replacements would be chargeable.

Might be worthwhile trying for a free one from your dealer.

David

Comment

• capemanifold
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • QLD

$170 I paid for a new strut 3 years ago after one of the kids tried to slam it shut whilst in the locked position.
            2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• likatiger
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • WAMBERAL NSW

By way of interest (if we are referring to the plastic device that locks the door open) I think it's another example of MM cheapening things.

I preferred the method used on my NP that was solid and I would think difficult to break. I also have innocently shut the NW rear door with the lock in place and whilst it made a noise I don't believe that it snapped, but maybe next time.

Larry
              NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• JRC19S
                • Nov 2009

How about that. Broke mine at the weekend. $230 for a new one. Dealer says warranty not applicable because it has been broken by someone trying to shut the door while the strut was locked. Well, yes, that was me. Thanks for telling me I'm clumsy!!. You would think a device like this would be a bit stronger - it bent out of shape under a moderate force.

Thank heavens the door handles dont fall off when i try to open them when the car is locked.

Comment

• Troy711
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2013
                  • Canberra

Commonwealth Motors in Phillip (ACT) charged me $199 about 8 weeks ago. Last weekend I stupidly bent it (trying to close it with the latch across) so I'm up for another replacement. eBay has them for $190 delivered, cheapest I've found so far.

Comment

• ABS
                    • Sep 2011
                    • Melbourne

I did the same thing.

Was quoted from about $300 downwards.

I ended up getting genuine one installed for $107.

The one on the NP was bullet proof (and probaby cheaper to make, just two bits for steel).

ABS.

Comment

• Troy711
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2013
                      • Canberra

Wow, that's cheap as chips, how'd you manage that price?

Comment

• jettyroad96
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Mannum SA 5238

Rear Strut

I bought a rear door strut for my NS Pajero from Oriental Wreckers, Adelaide for $65.00 came with all bolts just unbolt and refitted.
                        Now a wrecker fan for spare parts and picked up a long ranger fuel tank for a NW for $600 then had fitted. Look up your Pajero wreckers in your State on the Internet. Jettyroad96

Comment

• JRC19S
                          • Nov 2009

Thanks for that ABS. Where did you get the genuine one for 107?

I was told by the dealer you can't retrofit the old one ..is this true?

Has there been an improvement with the later model?

Comment

• JRC19S
                            • Nov 2009

I note from the $190 ebay strut seller - Shepparton Mitsubishi - that he has sold (at least) 20 of these. Rather a lot for a replacement part if it is actually fit for purpose.

If MMAL were ethical they would redesign and issue a recall.

Comment

• fatpants
                              • May 2012
                              • Brisbane

There is one on eBay at the moment for $100. Seller looks like he is wrecking one.

Cheers
                              Fatpants
                              2010 NT Platinum (the ideas are there, just need to action them!)
                              2006 Trackabout Offroad Deluxe Camper
                              Wife, 2 children and dog, sometimes not in that order

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X