• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Originally posted by Quietguy View Post
    I would gently disagree - any weakness in the construction, componants, and especially the soldering would likely show up when the unit is taken from +35 degrees down to -18 degrees, left there for weeks and weeks, and then thawed out.

To me that indicated good design, quality componants, careful construction, and excellent quality control. Of course you are free to believe these things are not important when choosing equipment, but as an ex electronic tech I reckon they are very important.

David
    Be a good boy then David and have a major senior moment and freeze a uniden, oricom, Icom, Vertex Standard and so on. Compare the results and report back. Then what you state above may hold some very far remote relevance. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, they may all come up trumps.

Dont get me wrong, what you did and the result obtained was impressive. However, I still argue no one here will suffer this fate, and just maybe others will give similar results.

Shane.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Quietguy
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2011
      • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
      More appropriate would be me plugging Benelec units lol, 8 hrs in the rain, no dramas since

But seriously, a freezer, for over a month? Who does that lol

ME! but not on purpose. I even made an insurance claim and police report when I couldn't find it, but couldn't explain where it had been 'lost'. But just before I spent the cheque NRMA sent me my Home Care worker found the radio when she was cleaning out my freezer. I had put it into a plastic bag with a loaf of bread to carry it into the house, and then put that bag into the freezer forgetting the GME was in the bag (that was my senior moment)

And YES, I did notify the insurance company that the radio had been found and they then cancelled the cheque.

David

Comment

• Manjimike
        • Jan 2012
        • Manjimup SW WA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        So then, who here is taking their Paj to the great southern continent any time this century?

Gimmicky advertising, and spectacular I agree, but a mute point imo. Give examples of real life field testing in the conditions you may find your in car UHF in if you want to debate pro's/cons between the makes. Much like Bakerboy and Moriarty just did. Anything else is just superfluous waffle.

Shane.
        Shane, we may not be taking our Pajeros to Antarctica, but I think it can still get below 0 in Australia and as David pointed out above, it is a good indication of quality, which I thought was the intention of the Icom ads.

Mike
        03/99 NL 3.5 GLS

Comment

• Quietguy
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2011
          • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          Be a good boy then David and have a major senior moment and freeze a uniden, oricom, Icom, Vertex Standard and so on. Compare the results and report back. Then what you state above may hold some very far remote relevance. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, they may all come up trumps.

Dont get me wrong, what you did and the result obtained was impressive. However, I still argue no one here will suffer this fate, and just maybe others will give similar results.

Shane.
          I hope you noticed Shane that I merely related my experience, and praised the GME based on that experience. I certainly didnt suggest that other brands were not as good, merely that i was impressed with a GME product. I have no knowledge of how other brands might perform.

David's last word on this topic

Comment

• Morville
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2008
            • Buxton Vic

Mods, perhaps this thread should be moved to Electrical/Radios. It would be relevant to more than just readers of Gen 4-3 items and may get more input.
            Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X