Clear All
  • Morville
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2008
    • Buxton Vic

Pictures of Smartbar on NW Platinum

Originally posted by Macster View Post
    Pictures!!!! Please.

Here are the pictures of the Smartbar on our Champagne colour NW Platinum. It looks better than I thought it would. The only problem I've found so far is that the fog lights shine upwards into the face of oncoming traffic. I can see no way of easily adjusting them. Also the wires to the lights are pressing hard against the square edge of the steel mounting bracket and will soon wear through.
    I will be ringing the installer on both these points.
    Peter
    Attached Files

Comment

• Traveller43
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2011
      • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Morville View Post
      Here are the pictures of the Smartbar on our Champagne colour NW Platinum. It looks better than I thought it would. The only problem I've found so far is that the fog lights shine upwards into the face of oncoming traffic. I can see no way of easily adjusting them. Also the wires to the lights are pressing hard against the square edge of the steel mounting bracket and will soon wear through.
      Peter
      Great looking bar Morville. I have the grey bar on the silver MY10 and have been very happy with it. My fog lights are positioned well and don't shine upwards affecting other drivers. Yours should be adjustable as well.
      Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• cyclopsoz
        • Jan 2011
        • Albury NSW

All this information on wether washers are required or not can be easily clarified by calling the motor registry. In most states regardless of whether an item is a requirement for having some other piece of equipment, if it is fitted it must work to pass roadworthy. If inspectors found disconnected washers, they can bluey you. They probably won't, but technically if it's on the vehicle it must work, particularly if it is a safety device such as light washers. I'm not bothering with mine at least until I get IMO more important shit like a snork fitted, as being a new car I don't have an inspection for 5 years. Does Vic even have yearly inspections?
        If you really want to know, call the registry.
        Pete

Comment

• BROOMZPAJ
          • Mar 2010
          • Geelong

VIC Inspections

Originally posted by cyclopsoz View Post
          All this information on wether washers are required or not can be easily clarified by calling the motor registry. In most states regardless of whether an item is a requirement for having some other piece of equipment, if it is fitted it must work to pass roadworthy. If inspectors found disconnected washers, they can bluey you. They probably won't, but technically if it's on the vehicle it must work, particularly if it is a safety device such as light washers. I'm not bothering with mine at least until I get IMO more important shit like a snork fitted, as being a new car I don't have an inspection for 5 years. Does Vic even have yearly inspections?
          If you really want to know, call the registry.
          Pete
          No yearly inspections in Vic. Good luck with trying to get clarity around the washers/HIDs issue. Seems everyone's got a different opinion (including installers) depending on what day it is.

Lots of opinions on the subject if you do a search of the forum.

Would love to see a definitive position on the subject established and listed in the Forum FAQ area.
          2012 MY12 NW Exceed 3.2 DiD
          Cool Silver - Nudge Bar - Bonnet Protector - Cargo Liner - Sports Roof Rack Cross Bars - UltraGauge - Bushskinz IC & Sump guards - T'EYES CC3 head unit with integrated front & rear cameras - Trap Mats - EGR control - Travall Pet Barrier - Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus - 2" lift via Bilstein shocks/struts & King springs.

Comment

• slandells
            • Jun 2009
            • Newport, Victoria

I'm not bothering with mine at least until I get IMO more important shit like a snork fitted, as being a new car I don't have an inspection for 5 years.
            Pete
            Hi Pete,

Something to bear in mind. I have the NS Exceed, and they disconnected my headlamp washers (without telling me mind you) to install my Snorkel too... Essenaitlly, anything you do near the front of the car will require the washers to be disconnected. I've never actually used mine, so not fussed, but just thougth I'd clarify, a snorkel will deem the washers useless too (still can't get ARB to fit a bar to my car care of the washers)...

Stuart.

Edit: Exceed means HID, so technically for me they are a legal requirement. This wasn't a pointless statement regarding washers for a non HID vehicle...
            Last edited by slandells; 28-03-12, 09:50 AM.
            2008 NS DiD Exceed, 17" ROH RTX & BFG A/T's, MMA Nudge, MMA Tow Bar, Lovells/Bilsteins 2" Lift, Tint, ARB Under Bonnet Compressor, Bushskinz Plates(int/sump) and Rock Sliders, Airtech Snorkel, Trektek Rear Storage and Cargo Barrier (removable), GoPoint OBDII (bluetooth to iPhone), Ironman Awning, ARB dual battery tray, intervolt PSR, Techniice 45L Car Fridge and the biggest wish list EVER...

Comment

• cyclopsoz
              • Jan 2011
              • Albury NSW

Ok. I just spent 10 minutes talking to Vic RTA's safety dudes. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE WASHERS CONNECTED IF YOU DONT HAVE HID.
              For those in NSW, like me, NSW RTA Technical Brach don't give a rats backside if they are disconnected. In fact, you don't even need windscreen washers.

pete

Comment

• Dion
                Valued Member
                • May 2010
                • Brisbane

Ok. I just spent 10 minutes talking to Vic RTA's safety dudes. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE WASHERS CONNECTED IF YOU DONT HAVE HID.
                For those in NSW, like me, NSW RTA Technical Brach don't give a rats backside if they are disconnected. In fact, you don't even need windscreen washers.

pete
                That's what the quote from the ADRs I posted back on page 1 says as well ....
                2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Macster
                  • Nov 2011
                  • Melbourne

Does the Smart bar increase your approach angle. I went off-roading recently in my stock Pajero and found this to be an issue...

Comment

• Quietguy
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Forster, NSW

We had the Smartbar fitted to our NW Platinum today. It looks a very neat and professional job. One thing I didn't know is that the Platinum has headlight washers. The fitter rang me to tell me about the washers saying the vehicle is technically unroadworthy without them. I told him to go ahead anyway.
                    I thought it was only the Exceeds with headlight washers.
                    It sounds like all Platinums will be in the same boat with a bullbar unless they can overcome the washer issue.
                    Peter
                    The MM bull bars allow the washers to work as standard. But I reckon those washers are a waste of space as all they do is spray the water/washer fluid over the headlight lens, making a damn mess and clouding up the lens. As I had the MM alloy bar fitted, which looks great, my washers are still operative, but I am very sure I will never use them.

David

Comment

• Morville
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2008
                      • Buxton Vic

Peter
                      I dropped in to see the installer yesterday. They looked at the fog lights and said they cannot be adjusted down without removing the bar, what a poor design?
                      They are happy to do it and I have booked it in to be done on my next trip to Melbourne.
                      Peter

Comment

• Morville
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by Macster View Post
                        Does the Smart bar increase your approach angle. I went off-roading recently in my stock Pajero and found this to be an issue...
                        Not sure, but it would be no worse than the crappy OEM bumper.
                        Peter

Comment

• 74HJLS
                          • Mar 2011
                          • Yeppoon Qld

The smartbar does increase approach angle, I installed mine with a Mako TDS 9.5 winch. had to make minor modifications to winch to fit. I only found out when the smartbar arrived, it is designed to take a Warn winch. Also have snorkel but won't fit it until I am fitting suspension, no need to remove aircleaner twice.
                          Cheers,
                          Pete..

White 09 NT DI-D Auto GLS, MM Tow bar, Light Force 170s, Dual Batteries Ctek kit with Piranah tray, ARB Fridge, Uniden UH7760nb UHF Radio, Kenwood DNN9350BT head unit, Roo Systems Awning, Smart Bar, Mako TDS 9.5 winch, Bushskinz bash plates, Airtech Snorkel and HD Lovells/Bilstein 2" lift kit, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson STZs.

Comment

• MalFearns
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Kings langley

We had the Smartbar fitted to our NW Platinum today. It looks a very neat and professional job. One thing I didn't know is that the Platinum has headlight washers. The fitter rang me to tell me about the washers saying the vehicle is technically unroadworthy without them. I told him to go ahead anyway.
                            I thought it was only the Exceeds with headlight washers.
                            It sounds like all Platinums will be in the same boat with a bullbar unless they can overcome the washer issue.
                            Peter
                            Hi, I have been reading the smart bar brochure and for the NW the state that it does not work with OEM lights, not worried about the washer bit as that is sorted re HID lights but anyone know what they mean by not working with OEM lights?

Comment

• Morville
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2008
                              • Buxton Vic

Not sure if you want to know what OEM means. OEM means the original equipment fitted in manufacture. In the Smartbar brochure, OEM lights would mean the foglights as fitted to the Platinums. The OEM foglights will not fit into the Smartbar you will need to purchase these from Smartbar to fit their bar.
                              Peter

Comment

• MalFearns
                                • Jan 2011
                                • Kings langley

thanks Morville, I new what OEM meant but their brochure and website picture shows the bar with fog lights and turn indicators and doesn't give any info as to what it all means. Any way I have clarified it with them and of course you have to purchase a replacement set of fogs (anyone interested in a set of genuine fogs?).
                                I am lucky in that the local Smart Bar branch have a police bar that comes with the fogs fitted as well as provision for a winch with a small scratch which they are going to supply at a substantial discount

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X