• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vix2010
    • Jan 2015
    • Wamboin NSW

Tom Groggin Campground

Hi everyone, my wife myself and the 3 kids are planing to go camping at Tom Groggin Campground next week and was wondering if it's a good place for kids, and can you swim around there as we haven't been there yet, or is there a better camp spot around this area. Thanks

Cheers Vic
    NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍
    (Everything happens for a reason)
  • artuo
    • Sep 2014
    • Central Coast NSW

We have stayed at Tom Groggin one night, but all the good places on the river were taken so we moved on. Looks good if you can get a good spot.
    We have been at at Geehi over the last 2 Christmas' which is about 25kms up the road towards Khancoban from Tom Groggin. This past Christmas was at Keebles Hut, which is past the main campground on the Alpine Way, across the river and the first main camp area you come to. There are also plenty of remote sites along the river the camp at aswell. Its great, take the lilos, inflatable boats, fly fishing gear, kayaks etc. But like anywhere in the bush this time of year take the head nets if the flies get to you or the kids.
    We will be back next year, looking at investing in a packraft for additional fun
    Attached Files
    Last edited by artuo; 16-01-17, 01:29 PM. Reason: added photo
    MY14 NW VRX Graphite DiD, ARB Deluxe CC'd Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, DIY rear shelf, Autosafe half cargo barrier, GME TX3540S radio, Rhino Pioneer plaform with bits, Foxwing awning, Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates, Dual Battery with Redarc BCDC1225LV, Bilstein/Lovells HD suspension, LRA Aux Tank

In Tow; Explorer Lawson camper trailer

Comment

• Vix2010
      • Jan 2015
      • Wamboin NSW

Thanks artuo , might go and have a look at that campground as well, we are trying to stay away from the coastal areas as it will be busy. But im guessing that anywhere this time of year is going to be busy,
      NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍

Comment

• Lakey
        • Apr 2012
        • Brisbane

We were at Tom Groggin end of Nov just before school holidays started. Huge grass areas for kids to run around. Limited actual sites with facilities like fire rings, tables etc but if you're self sufficient then should be okay.

As to swimming the river was running too strong for my money but it was closer to the snow melt so may be gentler now. I wish I'd had my kayak however.

Crossing to Victorian side was closed at the time due to damage but the camp at Dogmans (?) is also very good I'm told.

Agree with Geehi being a nice spot also though did not stop other than for a look at the hut.
        Cheers
        Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• artuo
          • Sep 2014
          • Central Coast NSW

Originally posted by Vix2010 View Post
          Thanks artuo , might go and have a look at that campground as well, we are trying to stay away from the coastal areas as it will be busy. But im guessing that anywhere this time of year is going to be busy,
          exactly the reason why we went to Geehi, it was busy in between Chrissy and NYE, but we still found a river front campsite.
          Take the bikes aswell, there are plenty of tracks and open areas to ride around in, not as much as Tom Groggin but still a big area, but be wary of the snakes, there are a few around

There are few easy tracks to have some fun and get some good views, Geehi Walls and Major Clews are pretty easy fire trail type ones
          MY14 NW VRX Graphite DiD, ARB Deluxe CC'd Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, DIY rear shelf, Autosafe half cargo barrier, GME TX3540S radio, Rhino Pioneer plaform with bits, Foxwing awning, Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates, Dual Battery with Redarc BCDC1225LV, Bilstein/Lovells HD suspension, LRA Aux Tank

Comment

• Vix2010
            • Jan 2015
            • Wamboin NSW

Thanks for the info wondering if Tom Groggin might be a bit far... Island Bend is about an hour closer has anyone been there?

Love The Paj 👍👍

Comment

• artuo
              • Sep 2014
              • Central Coast NSW

Originally posted by Vix2010 View Post
              Thanks for the info wondering if Tom Groggin might be a bit far... Island Bend is about an hour closer has anyone been there?
              i havent been there myself, its on my list for this year, but there is a spot on the Gungarlin River on the island bend fire trail but you come in from the other way through Rocky Plain and the powerlines track. From my investigations, its about an hour closer than Tom Groggin / Geehi area.
              Good for swimming and fishing.
              The camp area has fire pits and i think a pit toilet

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X