• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy_q
    • Jun 2014
    • Sydney

Illuminator LED Driving Lights

So a few weeks ago I installed a new set of the smaller 7" Illuminator LED driving lights from 4wdsupacentre.com.au. I had to pay for them and have no association with them other than having been a satisfied customer of a couple of other items.

I purchased the wiring harness as there are special connectors on the lights but this was not necessary as there were mating connectors with a short length of cable included in the pack with the lights. I did not use the harness as I was replacing Lightforce 170 Strikers that were installed and reused the wiring. The harness appears to be of good quality.

The lights themselves were well packaged and feel very solid and appear to be of good quality. They are advertised as 10,000 lumens per pair and have 32 x 5W Cree LED's note that this is the same LED's that the 9" version of the lights have but these are advertised as 18,000 lumins per pair.

I measured the running current at just under 10A per light.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by andy_q; 06-12-16, 10:30 PM.
  • andy_q
    • Jun 2014
    • Sydney

The following sequence of images are from the front of my house showing the garage door with different lighting.

I set my digital SLR to manual everything so each image had exactly the same exposure.

Low beam:
    Attached Files

Comment

• andy_q
      • Jun 2014
      • Sydney

High Beam:
      Attached Files

Comment

• andy_q
        • Jun 2014
        • Sydney

Original Driving Lights:

Lightforce 170 Striker, measured 8amps so ~100W

These lights are supposed to be 'adjustable' by screwing the body on the mount they zoom in and out but I was not able to achieve any significant change to the focus doing so. The bulbs may not be original or correct in these lights.
        Attached Files

Comment

• andy_q
          • Jun 2014
          • Sydney

Now for high beam with the Illuminators:
          Attached Files

Comment

• andy_q
            • Jun 2014
            • Sydney

So for a real life comparison I took the SLR to a back street and took these:

Low beam, then high beam, then high beam with Illuminators with the spread lens.
            Attached Files

Comment

• andy_q
              • Jun 2014
              • Sydney

Finally, Lumens...

Lux is lumens per square meter. So if the light from any light source is focused on a 1m2 area, the average lux is the lumens output of the light.

I drew a circle of 1.128m diameter (=1m2 area) on a piece of cardboard and focused most of the light from a single light on this area. There was still some light spilling as you can see below.

Light intensity in the center was 16,270 lux. At the edge of the circle it was 4,610 Lux. So a very imprecise averaging of this tells me there is a lot more than 5000 lumen.

I believe that these lights output very close to the same light as the 9" version which is advertised as 18,000 per pair. which makes sense to me as they have the same LED's...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Axis
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2011
                • Highett Vic

Looks good Andy. Might need to get some.
                07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Very informative thread. Also proof that you do not need to spend $1000+ to achieve a good driving light. Technology is bringing the price right down and affordable for most people. The beauty of these lights is also in the fact that should one break or be taken out by a roo...the replacement cost is small.

Good effort you put in there.

cheers
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Poita
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • Adelaide

Nice work!

I ordered some 9" ones from China and have been very impressed. Night driving is daylight now! For the odd country night drives I do, over $1000 on lights is a complete waste of money.
                    NW VRX MY2013
                    Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Belli
                      • Apr 2013
                      • brisbane

Originally posted by andy_q View Post
                      Finally, Lumens...

Lux is lumens per square meter. So if the light from any light source is focused on a 1m2 area, the average lux is the lumens output of the light.

I drew a circle of 1.128m diameter (=1m2 area) on a piece of cardboard and focused most of the light from a single light on this area. There was still some light spilling as you can see below.

Light intensity in the center was 16,270 lux. At the edge of the circle it was 4,610 Lux. So a very imprecise averaging of this tells me there is a lot more than 5000 lumen.

I believe that these lights output very close to the same light as the 9" version which is advertised as 18,000 per pair. which makes sense to me as they have the same LED's...
                      Haha yeah i noticed they had different outputs listed on the website but the same number LED's odd. Ill be picking up a set of the 7" ones next weekend, thanks for the great review with pics!
                      NS exceed, EFS suspension, air bags, egr block, Bushskinz intercooler guard, sump guard and transmission guard,T2 upgraded brakes, Tekonsha brake controller, electronic rust controller, Anderson plug, Dunlop AT3G, oricom 300 uhf, rfi cd900 raised feed antenna, rhino racks, Roof top rack, smartbar, rear bumper protection

Comment

• BruceNJ
                        • Aug 2015
                        • Alexandra

Anyone have some feedback after doing some track/night work with these? how did they hold up?
                        2007 NS Exceed
                        1996 NJ 3500 GLS

Comment

• andy_q
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Sydney

Illuminator LED Driving Lights

I'm just back from a couple of weeks away. Did not do a lot of night driving. Nor did we do much rougher terrain to test their strength.
                          When I did get to use them they were just as impressively bright.
                          My youngest calls them the super lights.
                          I did not find the foreground too bright with the diffuser covers installed. And I was able to see a couple of kangaroos at the side of the road. This was a slower section of road so I still have not used them on fast open country roads.
                          I'm still happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• BorgPS17
                            • Mar 2017
                            • melbourne

Thank you for the great information, will look into these lights.
                            Pajero Sport QE 20016
                            Smart Bar
                            Boos Bash Plates
                            7 inch LED Driving Lights
                            Domin8R X 12,000 Winch with Rope

Comment

• CaptJimmy
                              • Dec 2017
                              • Kariong, NSW

I'd be interested to hear if you've got any further info or comments on these, they seem like a steal and I'm currently hunting for some lights to adorn the new NX

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X