Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Which Android tablet for integrating into Paj?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

I need to mount it far enough aft so i can have the bottom half of the tablet covering the multi function display. It'd be the only way i think.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• robdavo
      • Dec 2013
      • Wantirna, Vic

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
      I need to mount it far enough aft so i can have the bottom half of the tablet covering the multi function display. It'd be the only way i think.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
      I tried a mount that went into the CD slot and this had the tablet right down and covered the display unit as well as the top display, however I found 2 things. First up, even though the tablet rested on the bottom ledge of the display, it required more bracing to stop vibration and, secondly, I really missed the reversing camera, especially if off road. Also not easy to select radio/aux/usb etc but can still do so via the steering wheel controls, just can't see what you are doing.
      MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Comment

• martialllaw
        • Jan 2012
        • Narangba

Originally posted by robdavo View Post
        I also have a WIFI reversing camera fitted to my van which links with the tablet.
        What WIFI camera do you have? is there much of a delay?
        2010 NT GLS, ARB Deluxe winch bar, GME TX3540 UHF, TJM battery tray, DBA T3 Disc's, Front & Rear Harop E-Lokers, AAA rear draw system, Anderson connector for AUX power, kumho mt51 265 / 70 / R 17, Bushskinz sliders and Intercooler/Sump/Transmition/Transfer case Bash Plates, Bilstein/Dobinson combo, 2x2m austrack-deluxe-vehicle-awning, Airtec Snorkel, Wetseat Covers front /rear + centre console cover, SPV EGR MOD Mk3.

Comment

• grhyso
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Perth

Originally posted by robdavo View Post
          I tried a mount that went into the CD slot and this had the tablet right down and covered the display unit as well as the top display, however I found 2 things. First up, even though the tablet rested on the bottom ledge of the display, it required more bracing to stop vibration and, secondly, I really missed the reversing camera, especially if off road. Also not easy to select radio/aux/usb etc but can still do so via the steering wheel controls, just can't see what you are doing.
          Thanks for the idea but I run an android head unit, no cd slot and run secondary navigation on it along with the reverse camera
          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• robdavo
            • Dec 2013
            • Wantirna, Vic

Originally posted by martialllaw View Post
            What WIFI camera do you have? is there much of a delay?
            This is the unit I purchased, although I paid $50 delivered. I had purchased from another supplier a similar product but I could not get that to work, so returned it. There are a lot of OS suppliers selling same/similar but there are also a lot of different apps for the phone/tablet so all the best there. Not sure if it was the camera or the app that was the problem.

The new unit does take a bit to actually connect via wifi to to tablet, and you have to make sure that there is only one device trying to connect at a time, but when reversing the van it is a slow process anyway. Getting the initial wifi detection is the slowest bit, but once connected then no problems. I also run the app on my phone and used this when installing the camera on the van. Also, as the reversing lights are not extended from the car to the van, I wired the camera to the taillights, since I don't generally tow after dark, but if I do (or in bad weather), then all I need to do is turn off the app or wifi.

MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Comment

• birdd
              • Mar 2014
              • Bundaberg, QLD

I'm seriously considering the Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" tablet on a 4GB plan from Telstra for $50/month...

It has USB OTG support so should be able to support a USB Video Capture device for my reverse camera. Just got to figure out a way to automatically switch to the reverse camera app when I switch to reverse... not sure if I can have it detect the video input signal when the reverse lights come on (how my current screen works) or whether I need to use an Arduino connected via USB to do it...
              2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
              MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)

Comment

• birdd
                • Mar 2014
                • Bundaberg, QLD

I bought the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" on a Telstra plan, $50 a month gets me 5.5GB data (4GB plus a bonus 1.5GB). They didn't have the 8" version so that wasn't an option.

I'm starting to get used to Android (after about 7 years of iOS for my phones plus a couple of iPads in there too).

I've got Spotify, Google Maps, Torque Pro, AutoMate, and I'll grab Hema next time it's on special or I need it for going off-road... I got it discounted for iOS last year but I didn't have an Android device to grab it for Android as well...

Any other recommendations for Apps to check out that would be useful in the car, 4wding or camping...?
                2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
                MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

Wiki camps is a great app for finding campsites on your travels. I also use OZI-Explorer android for my off-road mapping. You'll need maps to go with it though.
                  2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                  3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Buddha
                    • Apr 2013
                    • Canberra

I am about to try a tablet but admit to being a bit confused on the needed specs. I am looking at the Samsung s2 as well, does it need a data plan to function as an offroad nav or is the wifi model with a secondary app such as hema/vms/ozimaps with pre-downloaded maps fine?

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Buddha View Post
                      I am about to try a tablet but admit to being a bit confused on the needed specs. I am looking at the Samsung s2 as well, does it need a data plan to function as an offroad nav or is the wifi model with a secondary app such as hema/vms/ozimaps with pre-downloaded maps fine?

Both the Wifi and 4g models have GPS + Glonass so the wifi only model will work with an off-road mapping app. No data plan required.
                      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Buddha
                        • Apr 2013
                        • Canberra

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                        Both the Wifi and 4g models have GPS + Glonass so the wifi only model will work with an off-road mapping app. No data plan required.
                        Thanks Steve, have been asking retailers and getting "any map will only work if you have wifi/reception" but then reading here and other places contradicted that. Nice to know it will work out. I am planning to pick up an S2 8" next month

Cheers

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Buddha View Post
                          Thanks Steve, have been asking retailers and getting "any map will only work if you have wifi/reception" but then reading here and other places contradicted that. Nice to know it will work out. I am planning to pick up an S2 8" next month

Cheers
                          You can look up the specs here under 'Connectivity' shows both units with GPS + Glonass. Glonass is the Russian satellites. The sales droids rarely know what they are talking about http://www.samsung.com/au/galaxy-tab-s2/

Comment

• birdd
                            • Mar 2014
                            • Bundaberg, QLD

I think what you will find they are talking about is that apps like Google Maps don't have off-line maps so require a data connection. You don't need a data connection for the Hema maps, and apps like Navigon.
                            2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX

Comment

• caroma
                              • May 2012
                              • WA - Pilbara

Originally posted by birdd View Post
                              I think what you will find they are talking about is that apps like Google Maps don't have off-line maps so require a data connection. You don't need a data connection for the Hema maps, and apps like Navigon.
                              Google Maps will let you download areas for offline use (~300mb). You can add areas before you leave and then your device's GPS will be able to navigate offline without reception. This is how i got around Tokyo without phone reception and in between free wifi

I imagine some other apps would have a similar function. So, just make sure your prospective device has a GPS. I'm not recommending Google Maps for offroad use though. I use HEMA.

2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• Buddha
                                • Apr 2013
                                • Canberra

Thanks all.

I had looked and noted the GPS and Glonass. Trying to confirm I contacted both retailers and Samsung tech and got "GPS only works with a data connection." I agree they what they're talking about

I plan to pick a dedicated offroad mapping app (choosing which one is a whole new discussion but as always there is plenty of info here on the forum)

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X