• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petegangies
    • Aug 2014
    • Sydney

2002 Mitsubishi Challenger weird issue

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 auto Mistubishi Challenger 3.0 v6 which has some issues.

About a week ago I ran out of petrol, I called roadside and had it filled back up.

About 4 days later, the engine light came on and the car starting missing (hot and cold) it also idles now at only 450rpm.

I initially thought the fuel must be the culprit. So I replaced the fuel filter and put a bottle of injector cleaner in it.

Still the same problem remains.

I decided to use the manual method of scanning the Ecu by bridging port 1 and 4 on the OBD2 connector to retrieve the codes.

I got a 2 codes, one was the EGR vale and the other was the ignition 3 and 6. (coilpack).

I removed the clip off that coilpack and the idle did not change. I did the same test on the other 2 banks and the idle instantly drops when u unplug them. So I decided to swap the coilpack over with a good one and test again.

This is where it gets weird....when unplugging 3 and 6 the idle doesnt change again, and yet it does when unplugging the others, even after swapping the coilpacks. Am I looking at an ECU or wiring problem here? Is it just a coincidence that this happened 4 days after running out of fuel? I'm at a loss at the moment and don't have the money to pay some mechanic to root around with it until he figures it out. I'm all for trying to do as much as I can myself before resorting to that.

also, I decided to blow out some of the fuel from the old fuel filter to see what it looked like. It was pretty brown and dirty...

Anyone with any ideas, I would be most appreciative!

Cheers,
    Pete
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I'd say the fuel issue is an unrelated coincidence.

I had exactly the same issues with my 3.5l NL which is a similar setup.

Have a read here (if you haven't already) http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=34202

Anyway, the 'coil pack' fault code and symptoms all suggest a faulty power transistor unit (it's the thing that controls the coil packs between the ECU and coil packs).

This is why you are getting the same fault even when swapping the coil packs.

'Bogger' on the forum sold me a second hand replacement. Or you could get a new non genuine one from Sprint Auto for about $150.

Please let me know how you go.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• japinka
      • Dec 2012
      • NSW

Hi Pete
      I have idling issues with mine and again trial and error fault finding a rough idle myself , I gave in and forced myself to call in Lube Mobile to put their MATT 11 scanner only to find two temp sensors ( coolent & Maf sensors } reading temps over and above the thousands degree mark, anyway through out the process I brought a 2nd hand power transistor that is no longer needed , if you can diagnose yours as been crook , I'll let this one go for $80 , also happy if you want to try it first if your local to west Sydney
      Regards Craig
      2008 ns , Lovells Springs & Dobinson Shocks, 285/70/17 Hankook ATM , MCC Steel bar & winch, new timing chain tensoner, DPF delete, additonal fuel tank

Comment

• Ande
        • Jun 2016
        • Melbourne

sounds like the igniter (ignition control module) $200 from supercheap auto in Melbourne. thats ignition fault code 3 anyway.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X