Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

Default Advanced winching physics

Could someone check over the attached picture.

Is my maths correct for this hypothetical recovery situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Advanced Winching.jpg (146.8 KB, 138 views)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 05-06-17

All ropes must shorten to gain a mechanical advantage. All your doing is an indirect pull.
If you want to get into it....you can get the basics here.............. http://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd...22%2862%29.pdf

Last edited by Chainsaw; 05-06-17 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

To me it looks like you have set up a 3:1 pull
Depending on which way you want to look at it and in very basic terms:
* The winch will work 1/3 as hard to do the same work
* The winch is able to exert 3 times it's normal pulling power
This does not equate to exerting 3 times the load on the stuck car as it will take what it takes to get it out of the bog and there are other formula/rule of thumb for that depending on what you are stuck in and the gradient (if any) of the hill.

Last edited by dhula; 05-06-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-06-17
Super Moderator

Your diagram has me confused as there are 2 vehicles involved and an anchor point.

Easiest way to work out mechanical advantage is to compare how much winch cable is spooled in for the amount of movement of the bogged vehicle.

1 metre of cable/rope spooled in and 1 metre movement of the bogged vehicle is a 1:1 ratio. 100% effort on the winch. Winch cable connected directly to anchor point.

1 metre of cable/rope spooled in and 0.5 metre movement of the bogged vehicle is a 2:1 ratio. 50% effort on the winch. Single pulley block attached to anchor point and the winch cable/rope connected back onto the vehicle.

1 metre of cable/rope spooled in and 0.333 metre movement of the bogged vehicle is a 3:1 ratio. 33% effort on the winch. Single pulley block attached to anchor point, cable/rope returned through another single pulley block attached to the bogged vehicle and then the cable/rope returned back and attached to the anchor point.

The above calculations are a general "rule of thumb" because there are also added frictional forces of the pulley blocks which require small amount of winch power to over come.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 05-06-17
Resident

No, your maths isn't correct.

Ignoring the losses in the pulleys (as mentioned by OJ) the winch is applying force X to the rope - the tension in the rope is X Newtons.

Because we're ignoring the losses required to turn the pulleys, each length of rope has X Newtons of tension, is applying X Newtons of force. Three ropes pulling on the stuck car = 3X Newtons.

Two ropes pulling on the tree = 2X Newtons. Add the 1X Newtons from the winch car = 3X Newtons. Equal & opposite forces etc.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

i think it is only a 2:1 leverage.The "load" is only supported on two "ropes" ,you dont count the one you are pulling

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/pulleys.html

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"
Old 05-06-17

OJ and nj are correct.
Think about it this way, the force applied by the winch, can be regarded as tension in the cable (X Newtons). A pulley does not increase the tension in the cable, it enables the cable on both sides of the pulley to impart the tension force on the pulley attachment and hence the pulley on the top car by pulley 1, is 2X Newtons. The second pulley is simply changing the cable direction, back to the top car, where the cable imparts a X Newton force on said car. Therefore total imparted force due to mechanical advantage of the pulleys is 3X Newtons on the top car. ie negating frictional forces of the pulleys, a 3:1 mechanical advantage is achieved.
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Falken MT01's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Last edited by twisted32; 05-06-17 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-06-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
i think it is only a 2:1 leverage.The "load" is only supported on two "ropes" ,you dont count the one you are pulling

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/pulleys.html
Misread the diagram.... It is a 3:1 mech adv. I mistook the snatch block 1 pulley as anchor point. The vehicle together with the snatch block moves towards the winch vehicle. As I said to gain mech adv "each rope" must shorten. Because each rope is becoming shorter they each are carrying one third of the load (forgetting friction losses , as mentioned).

Last edited by Chainsaw; 05-06-17 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

Well thanks for the pointers.

My goal was to think about how to recover a car that is very stuck and requires more than a single line pull but without putting all the load on the front of my car.

From the responses this is still achieved by this setup although I did not have the forces correct.

And from the sound of it would also be effective without the second snatch block if you wanted a 2 line pull using my vehicle and the tree to anchor?

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 05-06-17
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabear View Post
Well thanks for the pointers.

My goal was to think about how to recover a car that is very stuck and requires more than a single line pull but without putting all the load on the front of my car.

From the responses this is still achieved by this setup although I did not have the forces correct.

And from the sound of it would also be effective without the second snatch block if you wanted a 2 line pull using my vehicle and the tree to anchor?
Yep.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box