• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freedom70
    • May 2018
    • Victoria

MUT 3 - Buying Help Needed

Hi,

I know the MUT 3 has been discussed before. I’ve read as many posts as I could find but I still need some help working out which one to buy.

From what I’ve found there are three versions being sold.

SP29 – Diagnostic Only
    SP29-B – Diagnostic & Programming
    SP29-C – I think this is the same as the SP2-B but can also do coding.

Some have no cards, some have a CF card adaptor and others have the CF card adaptor with a CF memory card.

Prices range from around $600 up to $1500. The prices don’t seem to always be a reflection of the features. Some, towards the top end price, only do programming and others that appear to have the CF memory card and do programming are towards the lower price.

Most only run on Windows XP but others will run on Windows 7 but again price doesn’t always reflect the newer version.

I’ve emailed a few sellers to get further information but so far no one has got back to me.

The things I definitely need to be able to do is Small Injector Quantity Learning and Fuel Leakage Check. Does it need the programming feature to this stuff or is that only needed for programming the ECU? This is all new to me so I don’t fully understand what features are needed.

Some advertise that they do Key Programming which would be a bonus considering I got a genuine key from Mitsubishi and they couldn’t program the keyless entry because their program on their genuine MUT 3 was outdated.

Most have software version 2013.6 and advertise it’s suitable for vehicles up to 2013 so not sure how it would go with my 2014 NW.

I want to get my MUT 3 purchase right the first time. For those that have recently bought one and have tried it out can you please let me know what things you’ve been able to do with it and also if possible the link to where you got it from. I’d rather buy something that others have found works because I find claims made by sellers aren’t always accurate.

Thanks heaps.
    2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID
  • rykiel575
    • Sep 2017
    • Sydney

I bought one last year.
    One that is a programmable one with the CF card.

First issue was the software provided on the cd was no good. It bricked the MUT3.

I found an older software set which worked but it is from 2013 or so and the non programmable version. It also did not interface with my NP pajero as the software was only for EU vin numbers.

Installing the software took more than 20 attempts.

I do not have full function of the MUT3 but it has been useful for the live data set, read and reset DTCs and to activate the various actuators.
    2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Freedom70
      • May 2018
      • Victoria

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
      I bought one last year.
      One that is a programmable one with the CF card.

First issue was the software provided on the cd was no good. It bricked the MUT3.

I found an older software set which worked but it is from 2013 or so and the non programmable version. It also did not interface with my NP pajero as the software was only for EU vin numbers.

Installing the software took more than 20 attempts.

I do not have full function of the MUT3 but it has been useful for the live data set, read and reset DTCs and to activate the various actuators.
      Thanks for your reply.

I’ve read that a lot of people have issues with getting the software to load and work.

I hadn’t thought about the software not being compatible with our VIN numbers, this is something I’ll have to check out before I buy one.

So as well as having a programmable MUT 3 do you also need the correct software to enable the MUT 3 to do programming?

Out interest roughly how much did you pay for the one you got?
      2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• rykiel575
        • Sep 2017
        • Sydney

Yes you need specific programming software.

To read AU vins you need the software for the AU market which you wont be able to get.

You can still do most of the functions without automatic VIN synchro but if you do the wrong thing or the MUT bricks your ECU may also potentially brick.

I paid 1.4k for mine including shipping.

You can get updated software from 3rd parties but they cost money and i havent needed to upgrade it.
        2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• P4J3R0
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Brisbane

I went through the same issues when buying one.

Ended up around $700 one with a CF card that doesn’t work but everything else is fine. Although the software will only run on win xp.

I have used min on my paj when getting out of limp mode, diagnosing problems with gearbox and transfer case switches, dpf issues, speedo issues, injector learning, airbag clearing codes, etc.
          Also on a mates triton and the wife’s challenger changing settings for lights, blinkers, etc.

The old laptop died the other day so I’m hunting for a new old one. Also would love to get a copy of service manuals so it can all link in together.

It’s a risk with the software but plenty of people on here will help out if you need another copy.

Cheers
          NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Freedom70
            • May 2018
            • Victoria

Thanks again for the information.

I think I’ll have to do more research especially regarding the software, there’s more to buying a MUT 3 than I thought.

If anyone else has purchased a MUT 3 I would really appreciate any advice you can offer so I don’t end up buying a dud.
            2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• Freedom70
              • May 2018
              • Victoria

I've found one on ebay that looks like it does everything I would need and also at a fairly good price.

The link is below (I hope it works). Any thought on it would be great.

2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• P4J3R0
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2013
                • Brisbane

Looks the same as mine.
                I got mine off alibaba.

Ask them about what windows version you need for the software to run.
                NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Freedom70
                  • May 2018
                  • Victoria

Originally posted by P4J3R0 View Post
                  Looks the same as mine.
                  I got mine off alibaba.

Ask them about what windows version you need for the software to run.
                  Thanks for your suggestion about asking what Windows version the software runs on. I’ve sent an email to the seller but doubt I’ll get a reply. Over the last week or so I’ve sent them a couple of emails asking for further details but they haven’t got back to me. I think I’m better off buying from someone who can answer my questions.

I contacted another seller today, they replied saying their software will run on Windows XP and Windows 7 32 bit. They also said their software will not work on an MY14 Pajero and is only suitable for trucks up to 2012 and cars up to 2013. Their software version for cars is 2013.6 and this is what seems to be provided with all the MUT 3 units so I’m not sure where to go from here.

Do you know what software version you have and what is the newest vehicle you’ve used it on?
                  2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• P4J3R0
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Brisbane

Hey freedom,

I’ll check the software tomorrow and let you know.

My paj is a 2008 and the challenger is 2014 and mine works on both cars.
                    NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Freedom70
                      • May 2018
                      • Victoria

P4J3RO,

Thanks heaps, I really appreciate your help.

Do you know which seller from Alibaba you purchased your unit from?
                      2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• messmorph
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Perth

Hey Guys,

Anyone know if I just buy cable harness and software will that work if being used with laptop and avoids having to buy the expensive device. I found the software and can get the cable harness for about $150

Anyone got a MUT I can borrow for a week. I will pay shipping, deposit and $50 for your time.

Thanks
                        2011 NT Diesel 35k Manual, EGR plate with hole, Diesel Chip

Comment

• Freedom70
                          • May 2018
                          • Victoria

Originally posted by messmorph View Post
                          Hey Guys,

Anyone know if I just buy cable harness and software will that work if being used with laptop and avoids having to buy the expensive device. I found the software and can get the cable harness for about $150

Anyone got a MUT I can borrow for a week. I will pay shipping, deposit and $50 for your time.

Thanks
                          Hi,

A laptop with software and leads won’t work, you definitely need a MUT 3.

I haven’t bought a MUT 3 yet so I can’t help you out with borrowing one.
                          2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• messmorph
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Perth

Originally posted by Freedom70 View Post
                            Hi,

A laptop with software and leads won’t work, you definitely need a MUT 3.

I haven’t bought a MUT 3 yet so I can’t help you out with borrowing one.
                            No worries. Looks like I will be buying one. I am a computer technician so setting up a Windows 7 laptop with software will be easy.

My only concern is we need an Australian software version.

Has anyone been ablet to find this?
                            2011 NT Diesel 35k Manual, EGR plate with hole, Diesel Chip

Comment

• crispus
                              • Oct 2018
                              • Romania

Hi guys,

Does anyone have an updated link to a working MUT-3 (ebay, aliexpress, etc) ? I need one for a 2007 Pajero...

Thanks.
                              Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic, just a car enthusiast...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X