• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seighcret
    • Jan 2015
    • Wanaaring

Question re arb bullbar on nt platinum

Hi all,

I have an nt platinum (with the upgraded headlights). with an ecb alloy bar which has been involved in a roo strike.

I want to replace it with an arb steel bar. Arb says that their not bar is not compatible with headlight washers - however I also own an nw Pajero with an arb steel bar that has the washers as an add on option? I’m confused - there appears to be no difference between the front ends of the nt and nw. Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Jasonmc73
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2019
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Seighcret View Post
    Hi all,

I have an nt platinum (with the upgraded headlights). with an ecb alloy bar which has been involved in a roo strike.

I want to replace it with an arb steel bar. Arb says that their not bar is not compatible with headlight washers - however I also own an nw Pajero with an arb steel bar that has the washers as an add on option? I’m confused - there appears to be no difference between the front ends of the nt and nw. Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Brian

What was the outcome with ECB bar & Roo strike??
    Was it A big roo?

Interested for furture personal reference etc as that bar due to weight was on me short list
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Seighcret
      • Jan 2015
      • Wanaaring

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
      What was the outcome with ECB bar & Roo strike??

Was it A big roo?

Interested for furture personal reference etc as that bar due to weight was on me short list

Yeah it was quite a big roo I’m told (i lent car to a mate for a trip to Uluru.). The bar held up quite well and resulted in little damage to the rest of the car - meaning the trip could continue for the next 6000km without any drama.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Not quite on topic (about headlamp washers etc) but.... I was at the local wreckers getting some new tyres for my wife's car today (yes - they were brand new tyres). Anyway, there was a reasonably late Prado which had probably snotted a roo. Whatever it had hit, it hit dead centre and low down, and the whole ARB bullbar was pushed back and up in the middle. The whole radiator area was destroyed. The bar had folded backwards and upward - it was over 30 degrees above horizontal. The bar would easily be repairable because really only the lower cross member was bent (upwards) - the rest of the bar was totally untouched, but I reckon the whole car is a writeoff. The top rail of the bar was pushed back at least half a metre, but undamaged, the radiator etc was gone and the chassis rails were bent up as well. Both front airbags had gone off. The main impact was on the lower part of the bar and that folded easily, bending the chassis rails upwards was well. Makes you wonder if the bar caused more damage than not having one.

I have a genuine Mitsubishi (non-winch) bar on my Pajero and frankly I reckon the lower part of the bar is as weak as... I have looked into beefing it up with some angle iron behind the bar, but cannot easily see this being done. The top of the bar is quite solid, but the lower bits are pretty flimsy IMO.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
          Not quite on topic (about headlamp washers etc) but.... I was at the local wreckers getting some new tyres for my wife's car today (yes - they were brand new tyres). Anyway, there was a reasonably late Prado which had probably snotted a roo. Whatever it had hit, it hit dead centre and low down, and the whole ARB bullbar was pushed back and up in the middle. The whole radiator area was destroyed. The bar had folded backwards and upward - it was over 30 degrees above horizontal. The bar would easily be repairable because really only the lower cross member was bent (upwards) - the rest of the bar was totally untouched, but I reckon the whole car is a writeoff. The top rail of the bar was pushed back at least half a metre, but undamaged, the radiator etc was gone and the chassis rails were bent up as well. Both front airbags had gone off. The main impact was on the lower part of the bar and that folded easily, bending the chassis rails upwards was well. Makes you wonder if the bar caused more damage than not having one.

I have a genuine Mitsubishi (non-winch) bar on my Pajero and frankly I reckon the lower part of the bar is as weak as... I have looked into beefing it up with some angle iron behind the bar, but cannot easily see this being done. The top of the bar is quite solid, but the lower bits are pretty flimsy IMO.
          Interesting - this is where the Smartbar might be the best option, as it tends to absorb the impact inertia rather than transferring it directly to the car's chassis (via "crush cans" in the modern bars) where the steel bars might transfer such shock loadings that may trigger the airbags. The Smartbar is much lighter and also recovers it's original shape after an impact. There must be a reason all ambulances here in SA have Smartbars?
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X