• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Oil collected by Provent catch can

I have been lazy so only managed to drain the catch can after 8,894 kms (6 months) from installation. Collected 210 ml of blow-by oil. Is the volume of blow-by oil normal?
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Im not sure whats normal as i generally check mine every six months or so, without recording the kilometers but it usually around about the 100ml or more for the nw and less than half that on the Ns. Driving style and km will impact o how much is scavenged.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
      Im not sure whats normal as i generally check mine every six months or so, without recording the kilometers but it usually around about the 100ml or more for the nw and less than half that on the Ns. Driving style and km will impact o how much is scavenged.
      I mainly drive in the city so maybe stop-go driving generates more blow-by
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
        I have been lazy so only managed to drain the catch can after 8,894 kms (6 months) from installation. Collected 210 ml of blow-by oil. Is the volume of blow-by oil normal?
        The engine holds nearly 10 litres yeah?
        If you are not having to add copious amounts of oil between changes & as we know it doesnt have to stay on the full mark for duration of oil change cycle, if it loses/ uses 500ml's or so per cycle big deal & the amount of blow by & oil burnt doesnt keep increasing its not an issue, in my opinion only with any engine.
        I always had A belief though, the more blow by if its increasing, the thicker within reason oil I use go up A grade if using thinner oil & change more frequent, if changing at 15,000k's maybe pull back to 10,000k's etc, again just an opinion.
        & A new engine can also have plenty of blow-by in its early life

Check the spec of acceptance you probably get A surprise as to what MM say is acceptable.
        Last edited by Jasonmc73; 05-10-19, 02:37 PM.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Roadblock
          • Apr 2010
          • Mackay, QLD

I drained mine first time at 5,000km oil change and got about 150mL out so your amount sounds proportional.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
          Cheers,
          Roadblock

2019 NX Exceed, Pearl White, MM Steel Bar, MM towbar, Provent 200 catch can, 140Ah Aux with Projecta IDC25 DC-DC Charger

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

That's about 3 times the volume my HPD collects
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• _jp_
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2013
              • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              Likewise, my HPD only collects about 30-40ml between 7500km oil changes.

I've got a bit of buyers remorse shelling out for the HPD and then reading the reports of it performing poorly compared to the ProVent.
              NW GLXR - SOLD
              --------------
              EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Garc
                • May 2015
                • Perth

My 2008 NS with 245K km gives 100ml after 10,000km.
                Seems like this is good.
                Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• dreamerman
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  Can I assume more blow-by collected by the catch can is better than less?

Comment

• Seigried
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2016
                    • brisbane

More is better. But a huge amount means you might have excessive blow by. Potentially worn rings or other problems.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• markc
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
                      Likewise, my HPD only collects about 30-40ml between 7500km oil changes.

I've got a bit of buyers remorse shelling out for the HPD and then reading the reports of it performing poorly compared to the ProVent.
                      The pro-vent work units work well. My post pro-vent to inlet hose is dry to touch internally with absolutely no apparent oil mist etc. I get similar volumes of oil collected as reported above so appears normal to me.

Comment

• Scooby
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Ipswich, Qld.

Has anyone plumbed the drain hose back into the sump?
                        I was thinking of welding a pipe or fitting into the turbo drain pipe as I haven’t seen another easy option.

I have done this with my Navara ZD30 engine which works well.
                        I taped a fitting into the turbo drain pipe as it had a cast block where it returns into the crankcase. I just followed the provent plumbing info and used the check valve.
                        Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X