X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davo134
    • Feb 2017
    • Melbourne

Thanks for all your responses,when i bought my pajero it already had a 2 inch lift and previous owner had done a fair bit of caravanning,so how do you tell if the spare wheel has been lifted? we tow a single axle pop top Galaxy semi off road ATM 1870 without out wdh standard mm hitch, nose of van was sitting slightly down as advised i turned the hitch over what a difference looked better towed better but the ###### rear door hits the hitch,anyway glad im not on my own here as Paul said bit of trial and error.I have drawers in the rear of tug so even if i could open far enough to access that i could live with.otherwise very happy owner.
    The new alko pin type does that suit a standard 50 mm ball?

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Does your spare still have the cover on top of it ? If so, then it hasn't got the lifting bracket fitted. If it does, the cover comes off and the top of the tyre is hard up against the top of the sides of the spare tyre door.

Hope that makes sense.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Davo134
        • Feb 2017
        • Melbourne

Thanks Ian, no it does'nt have the cover on top so it must have the lift.

Comment

• Andythiing
          • May 2019
          • Adelaide Hills

This is the alko hitch - it does mean you have a dedicated tow pin - I just have another with 50mm ball for when I’m at him for trailers etc - found it really good so far

SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
          2 inch lift
          ARB bar and snorkel
          Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Not all gen 4s came with the top spare wheel cover. Ours didn't.

Comment

• Pixie_au
              • Apr 2019
              • Queensland

I use the Cruisemaster DO35 coupling (with handbrake) with inverted hitch and spare wheel lift. I don't have a suspension lift on my vehicle yet.

This arrangement leaves just enough room to get to Cruisemaster coupling onto the pin and enough clearance for the door to swing open clear of the coupling and hand brake.

This maximises the hitch height (to suit my camper trailer) while leaving enough room for the door to open properly

Comment

• PaulMcG
                • Apr 2017
                • Sunshine Coast

If you have a look at the level of the bottom of your spare tyre - if you have a spare wheel lift kit fitted, the bottom of the tyre is about the same level as the lower edge of the rear door. Without the lift kit, the tyre will hang about 40-50 mm lower than the door. All the lift kit is is a spacer plate which bolts to the spare wheel mount, with a second higher set of mounting holes which you then use to mount the spare. On NX model, at least mine, the spare wheel cover looks terribly unfinished with the kit in place and the top section of the plastic cover removed. I think the NW might retain more of the cover, and looks a bit better.

And yes, the newer alko hitch does require a pin in place of the std tow ball, the pin comes as part of the kit. I got the kit from Supercheap on a 20% off sale, for $240.

Hope this helps some.
                NX 2016 GLS (non-DPF); MMA towbar, nudge bar; Boo's intercooler, sump, transmission Bash Plates 3mm; Donaldson secondary FF; Provent Catch Can; SPV mod; Stedi ST4K 28" lightbar; Falken Wildpeak AT3W; MM4x4 Auto Mate; Kings raised coils/ Dobinsons IMS struts & shocks.

Comment

• choppa
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Townsville

mchitch + longer towing hitch + stone stomper

+1 for the mchitch, I don't know why it took so long to buy one. I fitted an extended reach towing hitch (300mm) and a stone stomper (which means I could ditch the stone deflector on the trailer and shift everything backwards. The door clears everything now and hitch up is a quick and effortless exercise.

choppa
                  2008 NS(X) Pajero
                  3.2D auto, retrofitted with engine from 2016 NX (pre-DPF) and Aisin a750 transmission (V5AWF)
                  EGR ON, 3” bullet cat
                  Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (RBT XL) 265/70R17

Comment

• gas55
                    • Apr 2015
                    • Port Macquarie

All this boils down to the fact that Mitsubishi designers thumbed their noses at conventional wisdom and put the spare in the centre of the door.
                    Of course this was going to cause problems, not the least that the weight is further away from the door hinges, resulting in more leverage, and directly in line with hitches etc.!!
                    Then they had the hide to charge us for lift kits!
                    My dealer went from $120 to $70 for the kit, thanks to a couple of whinges from me, and I have fitted a Mr. Hitches tow bar for my caravan, with a slight downward angle of the 'van which I prefer.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Greg
                    Greg

Comment

• Mike DiD
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007

OzHitch is like Treg but with horizontal pin.

I can open the rear door fully and don't need a Spare Lift kit.
                      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

I have modified the original caravan hitch so that it does not foul the read door - it works great. And I don't have the spare wheel lift kit fitted. Even better! - Until I come to tow another person's trailer and then I am back to square one. The simplest thing is to get a spare wheel lift kit fitted (which I don't have) and then there are no troubles at all.

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Ulladulla

I have the McHitch with the rear wheel lift and there is plenty of clearance. But i'm not a huge fan of the McHitch as the uni-joint on it shifts the centre of gravity of the hitch 100mm further out from the vehicle. I dont think the Treg or DO35 have this issue so i would run with one of those over the McHitch given the Paj already has a long towbar before adding the McHitch
                          2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• PhilipK5
                            • Feb 2019
                            • Geelong

Alko Off Road Pin coupling not good off road

Originally posted by Andythiing View Post
                            +1 for the new alko off-road pin type hitch - put this on my jayco penguin and it was excellent to tow with and solved my door clearance issues on my nt swb which has 2 inch lift
                            I tired the Alko Pin coupling which was great on sealed roads but and absolute disaster when driving on dirt or gravel roads. Coupling obviously filled with dust and would not lock on after uncoupling. Have gone to a DO35 much more reliable and can visually see it has locked on.
                            2014 NW White Manual, Recaro seats, Bilstein shocks and Lovells HD springs, Polyair Ultimate Airbags, Bull Bar, Bashplates, Winch, Dual Batteries, 45 litre fridge on custom slide, Cargo Barrier, 9" LED driving lights, Snorkel, UHF, idoing head unit, upgraded speakers, dynamat sound deadening, Vlad's Traction Control Mod, Toyo OPAT2 on 17" Steel Rims.

Comment

• 2bad4u
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Perth, Western Australia

I can now open my back door with the standard MM hitch. All I had to do was buy a new caravan

The coupling sits in the A frame rather than on it like my old van and I can finally open the back door when hooked up. Praise be to baby **insert spiritual being of your choice**
                              Warren
                              2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                              2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                                • Aug 2012
                                • Brisbane, Southside

Originally posted by symo View Post
                                With the ALKO hitch you can open the rear door , no need for the spare wheel lift kit.
                                I use the Alko and they are a good solid off road hitch.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Alko is that it doesn’t lock up in the unlocked position for hooking up. But easily fixed by drilling a hole for a pin through the lift up section to clear the top of the inner section. Then I just use a stainless wire section to hold it up, works fine.
                                Attached Files
                                Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                                Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X