• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Just note that the Anderson WDH will only work with a rigid style ball coupling, ie your standard 50mm non articulating ball hitch.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
      Just note that the Anderson WDH will only work with a rigid style ball coupling, ie your standard 50mm non articulating ball hitch.
      They come with their own tongue and ball.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Weight distribution hitches can be literally a lifesaver, but they're no substitute for good payload balance. Here's when and how to use them

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• PajNX16
          • Apr 2016
          • Queensland

I can follow how the bar type WDH work but the Andersen has me wondering, as I have a DO35 set up do to rear door issue and I may not be able to use them .
          Van handles very well on smooth roads but when roads are undulating you get the bounces around a bit, may be all vans do to some extent?
          I think that if the rear springs don't compress in the first place, as much as they do now it might help a bit. ie a bit heavier spring loading?
          thanks to all

Comment

• johnhgh
            • Feb 2010
            • Brisbane

I found the WDH made a huge difference to the porpoising on mine, the heavy springs and air bags supported the rear but I still needed the WDH to stop the bouncing.
            2010 NT Diesel GL, TJM bull bar, Ox 9500lb winch, Airtec snorkel, Kings springs & XGS shocks, Bushskinz intercooler guard, TJM underbody guards, cargo barrier, dual batterys, UHF, LRA fuel tank, Prorack roof bars, Lightforce Genesis lights.
            1997 NK Petrol GLS with way too many accessories

Comment

• terryfirma
              • Oct 2007
              • Clare S.A.

I also have a DO35 hitch and find its great.
              When connected there is sufficient clearance to enable the rear door to be opened without the door hitting the hitch.
              With Hayman Reese WDH attached the car/caravan sits level. This set up definitely stop sway and pitch and with a 21ft van it is a pleasure to tow.

Cheers
              Terry
              Attached Files
              NH Pajero 1993 3.0 V6 GLS with ARB Bullbar, HD Suspension 2" lift, Roof rack, cargo barrier, rear drawers, onboard air compressor, Mickey Thompson MTZ tyres, Hella Spot lights, UHF radio, GPS
              ALSO NT 30th Anniversary Model 3.2 DID Auto.(Accessory list needs to start again). Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 Tyres, ARB old man emu 50mm Suspension lift, SPV module and Catch Can,Bushskinz plates, King Brown 3" Exhaust turbo back, Flappy Paddles, Auto Mate Torque Lock up Kit.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by PajNX16 View Post
                Hi Old Jack,
                Running 50 psi to get things level, had to go the Kevlar sleeves.

50 psi is way too much. Get bilsteins and lovells springs. I tow close to 2 tonne at times and I only put about 15-20psi in airbags at the most. Handles like a dream and sits comfortably on 100kph. Stock suspension with 2 tonne is just dangerous in my opinion. Most highways in Oz are shite. Undulations soon see the standard suspension and heavy weight being a bugger to handle. 180kg on tow ball should be fine. Obviously your suspension is letting you down and putting higher pressures in your airbags is only masking the problem. Before an accident occurs...get your suspension sorted.
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• PajNX16
                  • Apr 2016
                  • Queensland

Hi All,
                  just did some measurements, with van straight and level the DO35 base is 50mm higher than the Paj
                  tow ball and that is with the hitch turned up to get highest height.
                  Then with the 180kg tow ball weight it drops a further 30mm. If spare was not there could use adjustable level hitch.
                  Part of the problem is the van hitch should have been set in the A frame which would have helped.
                  Looked into getting it lowered but would lose 8" of the A frame.
                  As with some of the set ups you guys a using a 2" lift would help.
                  I will have a talk with Kings regarding their Progressive heavier springs.
                  Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

You've posted that your rear drops 30mm and front rises 25mm but we don't know the starting heights - so we don't know if your unladen Pajero is still at original factory height, or if it has sagged.

Please measure the vertical distance from the centre of each wheel to the edge of the guard, on all four wheels, and post the results.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• PajNX16
                      • Apr 2016
                      • Queensland

NJ SWB,
                      as requested, Tyres around 38psi...
                      Front Driver Side: 510mm Passenger Side 510mm
                      Rear Driver Side: 520mm Passenger Side 520 +- Airbag around 5-10psi
                      Got the Paj new so all original..
                      cheers

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

RVCS data is 504mm front and 533mm rear for a stock new MY16 Pajero.

If you caravan is a dual axle then ideally you want a level drawbar even if it has independent coil or load sharing leaf suspension. If it has non loading leaf suspension then keeping the drawbar level should be a priority.
                        When the drawbar is level what is the height of the underside of the coupling?
                        50mm ball coupling or something else?
                        What is the height of your towbar when the caravan is not hitched, measure from ground to centre of the ball or base of coupling?

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• PajNX16
                          • Apr 2016
                          • Queensland

OJ,
                          Van straight & level, flat base of the DO35 hitch is 535mm above ground level.
                          Paj tow tongue top is 505mm AGL, as I said this is with the tongue inverted so about 25mm difference.

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

;
                            OJ,
                            Paj tow tongue top is 505mm AGL, as I said this is with the tongue inverted so about 25mm difference.
                            So, your rear is sitting about 10mm below factory spec, and your front maybe 5mm higher. Some of this difference may be simple measurement tolerance, but having a tow bar mounted out behind the rear axle will be contributing too. I don't think your factory suspension has sagged excessively.

It sounds like you need your rear end to be about 25mm higher than its current unladen height, with the van on the back. Airbags like you have won't do that.

Presuming you buy some replacement springs with a higher rate, the rear shouldn't drop as much as it does now. So I think you should be targetting some aftermarket springs that will provide 40mm lift above standard (50mm above your current) unladen ride height, and droop about 25mm with the van on.

My guess is a HD spring rather than any of the EHDs, but OJ is your man for this! I would lean towards a taller spring with a lower spring rate, so you can still have some comfort without the van on the back, and keep the airbags for fine tuning if necessary.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• PajNX16
                              • Apr 2016
                              • Queensland

NJ SWB,
                              yes measurements could be a bit out but, seems like as others have done next size/load springs will make it better, not sure of higher springs though.
                              thanks
                              OJ, remeasured the set up , the pin of the DO35 sits in by about 5mm so that will add 5mm to the height (30mm higher)

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

OJ,
                                All good info.
                                In an ideal world I would be looking at the top of the towbar tongue being about 30mm higher than the base of the DO35 coupling.
                                This is 80mm in total, this means a rear suspension ride height of 600-605mm, this is way too much for a suspension lift on Gen 4, max legal and sensible lift is the 570-575mm.

If you plan to do a lot of towing with this caravan then a inset hitch on the drawbar would be a great place to start, even if it means losing 200mm of drawbar length.m

Contacting Kings, they will only be able to tell you the free height and the spring rates of the coils they make. I already have all these for King, Lovell, Old Man Emu, Dobinson and factory. But this data does not give you a clear picture of what happens when the coils are fitted. I have a 1200 cell Excel calculator that uses the above data for each coil, it compensates for unsprung weight and suspension geometry so it gives an indication of axle loads for a given ride height and operating spring rates at these ride heights. It is not super accurate as the manufacturers specification that can vary between 5% and 7%, this may not sound a lot but a 10mm height change in spring length will result in about 18mm change in ride height.

Also you need to take into consideration the effect of the weight transfer from the front axle to the rear axle when looking at coil selection. Ideally you do not want to load your WDH up more than what is required to transfer the transfered weight back on to the front axle.

Have you actually done a physical towball download weight of your caravan?

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X