• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bongsboy
    • Aug 2017
    • Adelaide

NP new rotors and brake pads

Hi guys,
    I just fitted new DBA rotors and Bendix pads to my 2005 NP Pajero. No dramas at all , in fact a lot easier than I thought. I am a fitter and turner by trade so am handy with the spanners.
    I took the car into work and did the job in our workshop which is 20 kms away.
    On the way home the car behaved very well and pulled up easily with no pulling to the sides at all. I believe I did a good job. The route home is flat until the last 500 metres which is downhill. probably had to use the brakes 20 times on way home until the last 500 metres then I was on the brakes quite a lot till I pulled onto the driveway. when I got out of the car, the brakes were smoking! Is this normal with new pads and new rotors ( DBA660 rotors and Bendix 1388 4WD pads). they weren't on fire , just hot! I am absolutely 100% certain they are fitted correctly. Will they smoke until bedded in? May thanks in advance, Mike
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

I believe the discs have a coating that needs to be removed. Hope you did that.

Comment

• bongsboy
      • Aug 2017
      • Adelaide

Yes , I cleaned them thoroughly with brake cleaner, no grease on them at all.

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Perhaps it's not the orthodox method, but I'd be finding a quiet car park or industrial area somewhere and driving around with my foot on the brake for a little while.
        3-4mins at a time, let it cool a little and repeat/repeat/repeat........
        No need to drive at speed, you don't want to attract too much attention.
        I'd do it in daylight, you'll be less likely to attract the attention of security ppl.

As I said, may not be orthodox, but.........

Other than that, take the pads out and hit'em with a wire brush.
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

You need to bed in the new rotors. Below is lnk to DBA bedding in procedure.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

Just a thought. When you had the brakes apart, did you check the callipers to make sure you haven’t got a seized piston. It might be unnecessary, but as preventative maintenance, whenever I do a pad change, I always put a new kit in my callipers at the same time. I don’t think I’ve ever done the job without finding at least one piston seized and needing replacement.

Cheers
            Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Roofchop
              • Jul 2018
              • Carool, Australia

Don't worry about it, they will just be off gassing as they got hot for the first time.

Whenever I fit new pads (Brembo) to my bikes I bed them in by speeding then hard brake to near stop repeat 3 times, then ride "normally" much better feel than when they are "new" but smoke is evident after the hard braking!

Also did your discs look like they were painted silver, or just bare steel?

I recently fitted some "painted" ones and that has to wear off initially as well.

Cheers
              Dave
              2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• bongsboy
                • Aug 2017
                • Adelaide

The ones I fitted were bare steel, with a greasy/rust preventative coating. I cleaned all that off.

Comment

• bongsboy
                  • Aug 2017
                  • Adelaide

Both pistons on each side move freely and were not seized in any way. I am beginning to think the smoke is normal and just a result of the first use/bedding process. I will see how it goes over the next few days.
                  Many thanks to all those that replied.

Comment

• Scooby
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Ipswich, Qld.

Just a thought did you clean the vents out in the centre as it can be hard to clean in the slots, could have some coating still in it and that is what is burning off now.
                    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• bongsboy
                      • Aug 2017
                      • Adelaide

Scooby, you could be right . I didn't clean in between the two sides of the discs, just everywhere I could get to easily. Never even considered that !!

Comment

• mashupss
                        • Feb 2014
                        • Perth

Your pads will smoke up the first few hard or prolonged brake applications. If you get a scuffing noise while just driving, then its possible the wheel nuts arent torqued up evenly. Just loosen and retorque wheel nuts. Happened to me when I did pads and rotors 3weeks ago.
                        2005 NP 3.2 DiD, 2" Lovells (HD/SD), Gabriel shocks, MT Baja ATZ P3 265/75R16, ARB bull bar, dual batteries

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X