• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talisker
    • Mar 2019
    • Victoria

Instructions on Coolant flush

I have been searching for instructions on a coolant flush primarily where the bleed/flush bungs/bolts are I have looked at some older instructions for the 3.2 DiD but it aint the same as my 2014 NW. Does anyone have any good instructions I have no idea what brand of coolant I have and it needs to be changed so I need to do a thorough flush. Many thanks for the help
  • Muzza
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Nsw

I used the radiator drain plug, as well as disconnecting the 2 coolant lines under the drivers side near the transmission, I used 10psi and blew air thru until all coolant was removed, filled wth water and repeated until no colour in the coolant, then drained and refilled with the blue 8 year nylon product
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Talisker
      • Mar 2019
      • Victoria

Thanks Muzza did you remove the thermostat so you could flush water completely thru the engine?

Comment

• _jp_
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2013
        • Adelaide Hills, SA

There is a drain plug on the block behind the alternator.

Also, if you have rear AC, you might find it easier to remove the coolant lines near the rear and flush that section separately.
        NW GLXR - SOLD
        --------------
        EVO 6 TME

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

There seems to be a lot of work associated with changing coolant. People seem to want to flush the whole system until they have pure water, then put in new coolant. I can see the reason for doing this with different types of coolant eg the older models red coolant change to the newer green or blue. I was told that the green and blue coolants are interchangeable, the only difference being the longer service life of the blue stuff. If this is true, it would seem unnecessary to fully flush out the whole system. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• Talisker
            • Mar 2019
            • Victoria

I have done a lot of research and its apparent that the dye in coolant does not dictate the type of coolant so unless you know what you have its difficult to know what to top it up with. If you mix different coolants together they sure can make a mess. I ended up being able to flush mine by disconnecting hoses and as I am flushing with rain water I am not too worried about the residual rainwater left in the block, I have a hoist but couldn't find the drain plug. Maybe I am blind :-).

Pity they dont put a bleed valve in the system as these sure make them easier to bleed but still can be done. Job now done for hopefully 7 years.

Comment

• Muzza
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Nsw

Originally posted by Talisker View Post
              Thanks Muzza did you remove the thermostat so you could flush water completely thru the engine?
              No, used compressair and blew through the heater lines and kept flushing until all was clear.
              Muzza
              2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
              2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
              2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• 11T.Co
                • Oct 2013
                • Brisbane

The following instructions may be useful to someone: Coolant change instructions

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X