• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Has this winch cable had its day

I’m really just looking for an excuse for a synthetic cable. But this one has got kinks all over it so hard to wind in and out. I’m thinking ditch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Rnn_onmt
    • May 2017
    • Freo ish

Put it in a tree for a kids swing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

When fitting a synthetic rope it is best to ensure the first wrap of rope onto the drum/spool is protected with a heat shield sleeve as some winches have the brake inside the drum/spool and this can get very hot during winching operations and damage the rope.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        When fitting a synthetic rope it is best to ensure the first wrap of rope onto the drum/spool is protected with a heat shield sleeve as some winches have the brake inside the drum/spool and this can get very hot during winching operations and damage the rope.

OJ.

Thanks OJ, so attach the rope, wrap the drum with heat shield and spool the first wrap over that heat shield? Hadn’t thought of that - I’d read about the heat issue.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

I,ve seen many steel ropes worse than that and still work ok. So long as there are no broken wires to catch your hands on its ok to use....mind you ...its a good excuse to tell wifey its dangerous and a synthetic rope is required!!
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
            Thanks OJ, so attach the rope, wrap the drum with heat shield and spool the first wrap over that heat shield? Hadn’t thought of that - I’d read about the heat issue.

No there is a special sleeve that encases the first X metres of rope.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

No there is a special sleeve that encases the first X metres of rope.

OJ.

Ahhhhh yes now you mention it I remember seeing that. Thanks for reminder, I would’ve forgotten about that. Cheers.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                mind you ...its a good excuse to tell wifey its dangerous and a synthetic rope is required!!
                Haha exactly!

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Also when winding synthetic rope onto the drum, the wind should be random across the width of the drum/spool and not neat/side by side. Otherwise when you get some tension on the rope when winching, the rope will be pulled between the side by side rope winds and the rope will jam up and it is difficult to unspool.

OJ.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2017
                    • Sydney

Also when winding synthetic rope onto the drum, the wind should be random across the width of the drum/spool and not neat/side by side. Otherwise when you get some tension on the rope when winching, the rope will be pulled between the side by side rope winds and the rope will jam up and it is difficult to unspool.

OJ.
                    Great thanks for the quality tips mate.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

OJ.

Exactly. When winching use a shovel handle or crow bar to physically move the rope over the drum. This is where the vehicles that have hidden winches do have trouble.. I,ve seen them have to put the winch in free spool, tie rope to a tree and then reverse back to try and get their rope to release from the winch spool. . The older style bull bars with easier access allowed the use of a bar to actually weave the rope over the spool and stop it from biting into itself.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• CptStinky
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Upper Coomera

Did'nt know this, great advice.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

Now over a year (and many house projects) later, I'm close to putting the winch back on the Paj and respool with synthetic rope.

I can't find where I mentioned it on the forum but I had the winch completely apart last August, did some rust removal (it had had water ingress), a solid clean and relubricate etc. It's been sitting in the garage ready for install, and the freewheel lever works a treat - I can engage and disengage the freewheel easily, and I can turn the drum by hand (just grabbing it with both hands) and can hear the gears moving - but then it stops.. hitting the motor. I would have thought I can't turn the motor by hand all that easily as not enough torque around the spindle of the drum, but then I wonder how much easier it will be (how much extra torque I can get) by pulling the rope... perhaps the motor is seized? I had the motor out in August, carefully inspected brushes etc. as per a great YouTube video. All looked real good when I reassembled. Has been sealed since.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Two Emms
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2020
                            • Mansfield, Vic

Not a winch expert by any stretch but.....

Can you hook up a power supply to the winch on the bench and see what happens. Should indicate whether the motor is seized or not.
                            2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• mrbitchi
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Brisbane

When it's in free spool the motor is disconnected so if it won't turn it's something in the gearbox, not the motor.
                              Cheers, John.
                              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X