Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Engine mounts- is my diagnosis correct ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

Engine mounts- is my diagnosis correct ?

Hi all,

in the last week or so , I've noticed that when I start and stop the car, more so on start, I'm getting a bit of a thump from under the vehicle.

Something is definitely moving.

I've been all over my bash plates and anything else I can get a spanner to and make sure everything it tight.

All seems to be.

Besides, what ever is shifting, isn't something small or at least the noise doesn't sound like it.

No particular vibrations are evident at idle as far as I can tell.

I've just clocked the 200k and its a diesel NT.

I also had a recent transmission service done which required the cross member to be removed, so i paid attention to this. Again, all good.

At this stage I'm thinking engine mounts .

this thread https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...t=48042&page=2 seemed to mention similar symptoms.

I don't think it's the mounts on the trans as I jacked the car up a bit on the cross member which supports the trans and the thump is still there.

Anything else I can check before I book it in to get it looked at ?

I'm heading away in 2 weeks for a camp and the week after for a 4wd weekend, so it needs to be sorted NOW .

Always bad timing these things.

I would try and tackle the job myself but would have to source parts and the weekend is booked installing solar panels on the caravan for the same trips.

Since I'm going to have to hand over folding stuff, any suggestions from anyone who has had it done to a rough cost ?

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

cheers Brett
    Last edited by denmonkey; 23-03-19, 06:39 PM.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I have a similar slight 'Thunk' when I engage reverse gear. I notice a more serious noise occasionally when I am towing my caravan. I suspect it is the rear diff mounts, and the diff assembly is 'winding up'. As yet, it isn't too bad, but I will keep my eye on it.

Others will suggest that it is the left rear axle nut - a 36 mm socket is required to tighten this one to something very tight. It could be the case, but for mine I have already tightened both axle nuts and there was no difference to the noise. The local dealer blamed the towbar tongue , but with a download greater than I can lift, I doubt that would be the case.

Comment

• denmonkey
      • Oct 2017
      • Newcastle NSW

cheers Erad,

funny you should mention wind up. Coming of a dirt road, I forgot to switch out of 4Hl for a short while.

I pulled over after about 1km onto wet grass and dropped it out.

I have since gone back onto dirt road and moved it in and out of 4wd and gone back and forth to see if that sorted it out.

No joy.

I know a work collegue to got a new pajero and her partner had it in 4LL to move the boat.

She drove it to the shops and back with no ill effects, So I'm thinking it shouldn't be that.

Not ruling anything out at this point though.

Plus the timing is too coincidental.

I'll take it for a good run on dirt after work tomorrow and see if that helps.

I'm meant to be towing the van for both trips and may have to pull out if I can't sort it.

thanks again mate. appreciate the input.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

DenMonkey:
        When I said windup, I meant diff tramp, not 4WD lockup in the transmission. The torque reaction from the rear axle causes the diff to try to rotate under load. If there is slack in the diff mounts, you will hear the movement.

By the way, the recommendation is to tow in 4WD. When I had different brand tyres (same nominal size) I couldn't run for more than 30 to 50 km before the green lights would go out and the orange CD light would flash. I have a manual transmission, so it was nothing to do with auto trans overheating. Eventually I wore out the original tyres and fitted two more so now I have all the same brand and size. No more CD lights flashing.

As for your original posting, it could be the engine or gearbox mounts. I had both sets replaced under warranty because when the engine started or stopped, the gear lever used to thrash around something terrible. The knob on the lever moved over 100 mm at times. New mounts solved the problem, but I think that they are getting soft again because I notice more movement these days.

Comment

• denmonkey
          • Oct 2017
          • Newcastle NSW

ah got ya.
          Yes, I do only tow in 4h as per the manual and stick to 4 and under in sport.
          I have forgotten to change into 4h before and not noted any difference but I still do it.
          Mine is auto but I'll pay attention to the shifter and see if there is any movement in the stick when starting.

I have been getting some creaking when stoping and starting which I had put down to noisey 4wd suspension but I guess it very well could be the enginie shifting a little.

hmm.

Will post back when I know more.

Comment

• denmonkey
            • Oct 2017
            • Newcastle NSW

HI all, for anyone interested this little video will show you how I fixed my issue.

Turns out it wasn't mounts at all, but something much simpler.

A decent sized hammer fixed the problem.

Zero DOLLAR FIX F&^% YEAH .

It's unlikely that others will run into this unique issue but I hate threads that don't have a solution.

So here it is.

Thanks Erad for your input.

Oh and let me know what you guys think of the transmission movement if you think that's too much.

My pates prado has next to no movement.

The video

cheers Brett

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

Just goes to show that brute strength and ignorance will win every time.... Well done Denmonkey.

I think that the movement of the transmission is about normal - that contributed to the problem after you had bashed the plate over on the rock step. If the mounts were more rigid, you wouldn't get the thump, but you would have more noise transmitted into the cabin as well.

Comment

• denmonkey
                • Oct 2017
                • Newcastle NSW

Thanks mate Yeah, a BF hammer comes in handy sometimes.

As much as I didnt expect the plate to move, I'm sure glad it was there.

I can't imagine the damage it would have done to the standard unit.

I'll cancel my booking for new mounts woohoo
                Last edited by denmonkey; 23-03-19, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X