• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Exhaust bag jack with turbo

I've been reading a thread (not in here) where exhaust bags were discussed and the point was raised that you shouldn't use one with a turbo charged motor due to the back pressure causing a problem in the turbo itself.

Anyone here have a comment. Is it right or wrong ?
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Ian,

The no exhaust jack on modern turbo Diesel engines goes back many years but since then engines have changed. Ironman advertise a Modern Tirbo Diesel Safe Exhaust Jack, http://www.ironman4x4.com/category-p...t/exhaust-jack

Although exhaust jacks appear to be quick and effortless to use, there is a number of precautions and limitations compared to other jacks.
    1. Care must be taken to avoid sharp rock or under body parts such exhaust systems, wiring looms and fuel/brake lines that can either damage the bag or be damaged by the bag.
    2. They lift from the body so the vehicle must be lifted to a greater height to get the wheels clear off the ground due to suspension droop.

For me a mechanical screw bottle jack, on a long base plate, placed directly underneath the suspension arm of the wheel you wish to lift is the safest, lightest and most reliable option.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Thanks for that OJ, it's exactly what I needed.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• NTBenny
        • May 2017
        • Newcastle

I have an exhaust jack but it also has provision to be inflated with a compressor. I'm interested to know how an exhaust jack could damage a turbo. I'm not convinced it would be but I'm open to discussion on the topic.

Benny.
        2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

I think that the main concern is the increase in back pressure on the turbo. If you were running the engine flat out at max throttle, this could be a problem and cause the turbo to overheat, but at idle speeds, I cannot see any problem in the short term.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
            I think that the main concern is the increase in back pressure on the turbo. If you were running the engine flat out at max throttle, this could be a problem and cause the turbo to overheat, but at idle speeds, I cannot see any problem in the short term.
            I agree.

I believe the whole theory is based on false logic:
            1. Back pressure for turbo engines is bad.
            2. Exhaust jack creates back pressure in exhaust.
            3. Therefore, exhaust jack is bad for turbo engines.

As erad noted, back pressure is an issue for engines attempting to produce peak power / torque, not for an engine at or near idle.

I guess a modern diesel with closed DPF and pressure sensors could be confused by increased pressure readings in the exhaust? I can see that it might throw a code, but cause damage? Inconvenience, yes - a DPF initiated limp-mode that can't be cleared on the track could be a significant problem. If you're driving remote without the means to clear such limp modes you have bigger issues to worry about than an exhaust jack.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X