• Show
Clear All
  • Pajaru
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Perth

Our Hanns Track Adventure

Day 1: Bruce Rock to Niagara Dam.

This video is from our dash cam and covers Day One of our "Our Hanns Track Adventure" trip from July 2018. The video shows us traveling along Cramphorne Road, then Moorine South Road up to The Great Eastern Hwy at Moorine. Onwards toward Coolgardie, then picked up Yarri Road, just outside Kalgoorlie.
    Heading North East along Yarri Road we passed through Gindalbie at which point we turned North along Donkey Rocks Road ( which was more like a donkey track). The tracks in this area can be a bit confusing and we made a navigation error near Marsh Dam which caused us to take a track that headed more North West towards the Carr Boyd Mine. This track was in reasonable condition so we decided to continue along it with the motto "One track is as good another".
    Later, we came across a track that headed North East and back towards Donkey Rocks Road so we headed down it. This track proved not to have much traffic and was heavily overgrown. But we pushed on anyway, added a few more scratches to the Pajero, but not a problem this is what we do and why we brought the Pajero. "To go where very few have gone before". We rejoined Donkey Rocks Road some 40 minutes later having only traveled 6.2kms
    By now it was getting late in the day and the sun was low in the West. The setting sun proved to be a challenge as looking straight into the sun made the track very hard to see and at points we had to slow down to a crawl.
    We hit the Kookynie Road turned right knowing that we didn't have far to go. A few more kilometers saw us arriving at Niagara Dam almost at sun down. That's it, finished driving . Time to setup camp make something to eat and look forward to tomorrow to continue Our Hanns Track Adventure.
    In about 10 hours we had travelled 638kms in just over 10 Hours with a average speed 62 kph.

View on Youtube Hanns Track: Day 1: Bruce Rock to Niagara Dam
    or
    Our Website Hanns Track Day 1: Bruce Rock to Niagara Dam ( Has a satellite track map and way points to download with way point photos that can be viewed)

I will be adding more dash cam video to this thread as i edit it. Hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by Pajaru; 04-05-20, 11:04 PM.
    Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
    To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
  • Pajaru
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Perth

Our Hanns Track Adventure

Day 2-4: Niagara Dam to Laverton.
    This video is a compilation from our dash cam and covers Day Two to Day Four of our "Our Hanns Track Adventure" trip from July 2018. The video has been compiled from several hours of footage which has been edited down to about 16 minutes with informative text added.
    This day saw us waking up in the morning to some heavy showers of rain at Niagara Dam where we had camped for the night. We left Niagara going back to Kookynie Road to take the Goldfields Highway North to Lenora.
    After filling up with diesel we headed for Malcolm Dam where we are going to camp for a day or so. We left Malcolm Dam heading to Sunrise Dam Minesite to visit some friends. We decide take the Old Laverton Leonra Road passing through the old townsites of Malcolm, Murrin Murrin and a few others. We then when along the Mount Margaret Weld Road meeting up Mount Weld Road to head South down to Sunrise Dam Granny Smith Mine.
    Then after a couple of hours headed North to Laverton and a overnight stay at the Laverton Caravan Park.

View on Youtube Day 2-4: Niagara Dam to Laverton
    Last edited by Pajaru; 06-06-20, 12:11 AM.

To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Comment

• Pajaru
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2013
      • Perth

Hanns Track - Day 5: Laverton to Yeo Homestead

Finally found some time and have completed editing Day 5. Hopefully Day 6 will be done a bit quicker.

This video is a compilation from our dash cam and covers Day 5 of our "Our Hanns Track Adventure" trip from July 2018. The video has been compiled from several hours of footage which has been edited down to about 18 minutes with informative text and photos added.

We woke up at the Laverton Caravan Park on a fine, sunny morning. After a quick packing of the Pajero we headed into town to fill up the fuel tank and buy a few items at the local IGA. The plan today is to Visit Frank Hanns Camp then head towards the abandoned but restored Yeo Homestead. The homestead is in the Yeo Lake Nature Reserve in the Great Victoria Desert, Western Australia.

Frank Hanns Camp is about 15kms North East of Laverton, off White Cliffs Road. After finding the Camp and a well dug by Frank Hann which is south of Hanns Camp, we headed back to White Cliffs Rd and continued towards Yeo. We headed along the White Cliffs - Yamarna Road in a North East direction. The road is in pretty good condition, probably due to mines out this way. We passed several mining trucks although couldn't work out what they were transporting.

After a couple of hours we reached the abandoned Yamarna Station. A few quick photos before we turned right onto the Anne Beadell Highway heading East. Initially this road was in good condition. There were plenty of turn offs to mine sites which explained why. We are now well into the Great Victoria Desert and the Anne Beadell Hwy was starting to become worse.

We reached Point Sunday, climbed to the top, took a few photos and after a short break continued on our way. From this point on the road became more corrugated with soft sandy sections and it narrowed down to pretty much a single lane. The Anne Beadell Hwy runs West/East and so do the dunes of the Great Victoria Desert. This makes the drive easier than trying to cross the dunes. Around mid afternoon we reached Yeo Homestead. We will be camping overnight and look forward to a few hours of rest.

View on Youtube Hanns Track - Day 5: Laverton to Yeo Homestead
      Last edited by Pajaru; 13-06-20, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Awesome stuff, looking forward to more. Thinking I may head out there somewhere again this year....Yeo homestead needs another one of my sigs in the visitor book.....
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajaru
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2013
          • Perth

Thanks Sharkcaver. Been to the GVD a few times and is one of my favorite places to visit.

Comment

• sharkcaver
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by Pajaru View Post
            Thanks Sharkcaver. Been to the GVD a few times and is one of my favorite places to visit.
            Yep, I agree. I'm developing an affair with that place. I'm toying with the idea of going out to Nichol's Knob again.....my feet are saying...Nooooooo......But first, I head for the Kennedy Ranges this morning for 10 days away
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajaru
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2013
              • Perth

HannsTrack - Day 6: Yeo Homestead to Lily Rockhole

This video is a compilation of photos and dash cam footage from Day 6 of our "Our Hanns Track Adventure" trip from July 2018. The video has been compiled from several hours of footage and several photos which has been edited down with informative text added.

We awoke at Yeo Homestead to a cold cloudy day. A bit of drizzle forced us to move to the verandah of the homestead building whilst we had breaky and prepped for the days travel. The rain didn't last long and we left Yeo Homestead heading North towards Yeo Lake rather than taking the shorter route along The Anne Beadell Highway.

Yeo Lake was picturesque. The track crosses parts of the lake system and proved to be no dramas with the exception of one small section which was a bit soft. Although this track would be impassable in the wet season or after heavy rains.

We rejoined the Anne Beadell Hwy and after a stop to clear Spinifex from the Pajero's underneath and radiator continued on to a flat topped butte call "Bishop Rileys Pulpit" named by Frank Hann in June 1906. A few kilometres past this rock saw use turning to the left on a shot line which took us to "Wilkinson Range" also named by Frank Hann on his May 1903 expedition through the area. After a turn to the North we crossed our first sand dune on this trip. The sand dunes here abouts are low vegetated dunes and are easy to cross.

Around 2.45pm we reached "Lily Rockhole" gorge (again named by Fran Hann in May 1903) nestled in Wilkinson Range, Great Victoria Desert, Western Australia. This is where we camped overnight before continuing on "Hanns Track".

Travel Time: 4 hours and 31 minutes
              Travel Distance: 83 Kms
              Average Speed: 18 kph

View on Youtube HannsTrack - Day 6: Yeo Homestead to Lily Rockhole
              Last edited by Pajaru; 13-06-20, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Pajaru
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2013
                • Perth

HannsTrack - Day 7: Lily Rockhole to Winterbottom Rocks.

Day 7 of our "Our Hanns Track Adventure" trip from July 2018. The video is a compilation from our dash cam which has been compiled from several hours of footage edited down to about 12 minutes with informative text and photos added.

We awoke a Lily Rockhole, packed up the campsite and started on the drive to Winterbottom Rocks which was planned to be our next over night camp spot. The days travel of only 55 kms still took just over 4 hours with a average speed of 14 kph.

The track was easy going and offered no problems; just slow. With a quick stop at Sunday Suprise Rocks to view the Gnamma holes and to take a few photos we contiued on to the nights camp at Winterbottom Rocks. The Great Victoria Desert at this time of year is a great place to be, with the secenry always changing this makes for a spectacular drive. Most of Hanns Track runs paralle to the Dunes of The Great Victoria Desert and on this days travel we maybe only went directly over two or so dunes.

View on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlj7LkHOFUc

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Originally posted by Pajaru View Post
                  Day 7 of our "Our Hanns Track Adventure" trip from July 2018.
                  View on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlj7LkHOFUc
                  That took a bit of time to publish then......I've been in and out of the GVD 1/2 a dozen times since then

Will check out in the morn. Thanks for posting

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajaru
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2013
                    • Perth

Yeah slow going, got years of videos to do and not enough time to edit them including videos of the Connie Sue

Gotta love the GVD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X