• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam Pato
    • Jan 2011
    • Brisbane

Aldi Tarp and Aluminium Poles

After years of soldiering on with the Gazebo - the awning has finally stretched beyond use and we need to move on. Current thinking is to give a tarp a go and Aldi have a 12 x 18 one on sale and aluminum poles this Saturday. Has anyone used these? Are they of decent quality? Particularly interested in the poles.

Actually - any advice on the Tarp front and what to buy would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sam
    Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform
  • wanderay
    • Feb 2012
    • Richmond NSW

Aldi poles are ok but lighter than supa-peg and the locking mechanism doesn't lock as tight. They also collect water in the rain and can't be pulled apart to drain and dry easily. Mine are several years old and still working well however.

Ray
    NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and Renogy lithium aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Ive been using the same heavy duty tarp for about 4 years now. It has no issues with the rain and is nice and strong

I was about to recommend Poles Apart for your poles but I see they shut down 2 weeks ago. I also run a main support down the centre of the tarp using 4 poles and ends that fit to support the square steel main beam which can be adjusted for length and is vital for the integrity of the tarp. Forms a good "A" shaped tarp cover. This the type of pole for use on the centre support bar

Centre support bar....this square tube that slides into each other for adjustment.

Mind you this is a heavy duty setup for a minimum of 3 nights camping. I,ve used the adjustable aluminium poles and they failed big time under load and wind. When buying steel poles always buy a spare packet of the thumb screws for them . The after market screws are a lot heavier duty than many of those supplied on some poles.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

I got the poles to replace the steel poles which came with my camper. Saved about 10kg. Interesting what Dicko mentions about their performance in the wind. I’ve only used them once and the weather was benign. I’m thinking that if they have a tendency to collapse I’d try drilling a hole to insert a pin when required.

I also got the tarp. The corners are reinforced which is a significant start. Reasonable quality versus price. However like most things ALDI, if whatever copied item it is is going to see more than occasional use I’d reconsider a proven quality albeit more expensive original.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Sam Pato
          • Jan 2011
          • Brisbane

Many thanks for the replies. I think the twist lock of the poles has put me off a bit (although the weight is a big advantage) I might buy a couple and give them a try out. The mate we camp with only buys the heaviest duty top quality stuff and loves paying me out when my 'value' buys crap themselves. So that's an added risk.

The long game is that we get a bit of experience with Tarp and poles set up and build up to a pro size set up - but in the mean time a 12 x 18 Aldi tarp should be good enough for a trainer wheels tarp. Now we're fully committed to facilitating our children sports and social lives we probably only go camping for more than a weekend twice a year so should be right.

Cheers

Sam
          Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X