• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Paintchips View Post
    Hi All, just want to revive this thread to find out who people are using for 2019. Ive rang around a number of places and the cheapest I found on an agreed $25000 value was Shannon's at $1100/year. Looked up some recent reviews on them and reviews regarding claims were terrible. Seems like premiums have skyrocketed over the past year. But in saying that I'm having a really hard time finding anyone who will insure for even close to what the vehicle is worth with all the mods and accessories it has. Suggestions welcome.

All insurance premiums rose significantly. I,ll stay with RACQ fort he shop front and large network. All you can do is shop around and do reviews. They are all too willing to take your money and then buck like crazy to pay out!!!!
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Paintchips
      • Jan 2013
      • Darwin

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      All insurance premiums rose significantly.
      Right, sounded that way. Wonder what happened in the past year that they all decided we need to cough up more cash, because my salary isn't keep up with the cost of things.
      2011 NT GL | ARB Bull bar. LED Spotlights/Lightbar. 2inch Lift Kit. GME aerial. GME uhf radio. SPV egr blank. Roof rack. ECU remap. 3inch exhaust. Tow bar with anderson plug. Bash plates. K&N Filter. Xtreme Heavy Duty clutch. Side awning. Dual battery. LED low beams. Front and rear sway bar adjustable link kits from Superpro. Jonny Tig aftermarket front mounted intercooler upgrade. Heavy duty synthetic winch. E lockers. Dual fuel tank. Polaris with HEMA maps. Cargo barrier.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Paintchips View Post
        Right, sounded that way. Wonder what happened in the past year that they all decided we need to cough up more cash, because my salary isn't keep up with the cost of things.

They know they have you by the balls and keep squeezing as much as they can...bastards!!
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

I've been with C4x4 for 4 years. In 2015 I paid $600 for $53k (agreed value) plus $5k of accessories. This was half what other insurance companies were offering. Since then the premiums have progressively increased to the latest of $1095 for $45k plus $10k of accessories.

Whether they are value for money depends partly on how you use your vehicle. I haven't found any insurance company with comparable pricing that, in writing, insures for full geographic coverage, water crossings and beach driving, towing for mechanical breakdown (not just accident) to nearest tar or town, full replacement value for accessories, to name a few. They also give a 10% discount for members of my 4wd club. If you don't go off roading into the boondocks and/or don't have many accessories then you can probably do better elsewhere.

C4x4 are also very open about their insurance. Over the last 18 months or so they've sent emails to members explaining how their insurance works, explaining clauses, arguing the case for water crossing excess increases. No other company has ever done that for me in 50 years of driving.

When I first bought their insurance, they were just starting out and I didn't expect it to last as the premiums were so cheap. They've come back to the pack somewhat but, for me, still offer value for money. Having said that, my son's insurance with them increased 63% year on year for a 2018 Ranger which is hard to understand but it is probably due to an increase in claims where he lives as he parks in the street.

Comment

• gemster
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Gold Coast

You only need to look at all the Disasters lately with Floods, Bushfires and storms in Australia, Then add on the Disasters from overseas... That's why you pay so much...

Gemster.....
            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Razzy
              • May 2013
              • Cleveland

I have been away and not been looking at recent posts, but this one blows me away. My 2017 NX is currently comprehensively insured with Seniors Ins - underwritten by... that's right Hollard for $454!!! This also includes the windscreen which I have already had to access with no probs.
              I have to admit I was with Allianz and when their renewal notice turned up it was obvious as usual that they wanted to try me on with an increase. No way,but the worst was that they had also changed their rating system which did recognise safe driver etc as previously.
              Have a good look around boys!!

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Since I'm now officially old, and my insurance renewal has just come in, I thought I'd try APIA and Australian Seniors.

Both use Glass's Guide for car values; APIA can't insure my NT for more than $15,800, and Australian Seniors will go to $21,000. That's for the same vehicle, using valuations from Glass's Guide. APIA's premium would be close to $1000, Australian Seniors was over $1000. I didn't ask APIA, but Australian Seniors can only list modifications and accessories - they don't increase the insured value.

I don't think I'll waste any more time, and simply accept my renewal from Enthusiast Underwriting. I have a multi-vehicle policy for three vehicles with combined agreed value over $50k, including $30k on my NT. Total renewal, including brokerage fees, $2054.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by MSF
                  Have you had to claim through Enthusiasts yet ?

No opinion on claims - just asking as they took over a week to get back to me for a quote

Cheers
                  I'm not sure - my last insurance claim was a minor car park bingle over four years ago (no damage to my car, but my towbar punctured the bumper on the other vehicle), which is about when I started with them. I suspect it was prior to Enthusiast, but I can't find any record. I know I claimed, and it was all painless.

My insurance broker found them for me a few years ago, when I think they were still quite new. I was a little concerned about how well they understood 4wding, and how well I would be covered off-road. Somebody from Enthusiast rang me, and managed to convince me that all is good.

I think I got in on the "honeymoon" phase you mentioned, as premiums took a jump since I first insured with them, and agreed value has taken a dive, but I can't find anybody who can beat them for all three vehicles. The renewal came through this year with no change to insured values, which was unexpected.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pickle
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2007
                    • All over Oz

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    Total renewal, including brokerage fees, $2054.
                    Jeez I pay pretty much that just for my Paj with Club 4x4
                    Dave
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Country Cruiser
                      • May 2019
                      • Adelaide

My insurance has come up, and AAMI have slipped a new clause in to the PDS... You must not drive your vehicle in to water. So much for river crossings!

Seems Club 4x4 is what most people are doing these days?
                      2016 NX GLX5

MM Steel Bullbar, Cooper AT3 LT, DRL/Fog Retrofit, Safari Snorkel, TJM/Dobinsons Suspension, Rhino Pioneer Platform, GME TX3350 UHF, LRA 81L Aux Fuel Tank, Lightforce Striker 170, Dr Air ProFlow Compressor, 23 Zero Awning, Engel Combi, Lawson Infinity System, Half a tank of Diesel.

Comment

• Mundy55
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Gold Coast

BTW, Club4x4 offfer a 20% discount if you have done an off road training course with a Registered Training Organisation or by a trainer certified by an RTO. I just received a pro-rata'd credit of nearly $200. I've always been happy with the vfm Club4x4 offers but this even better.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by Country Cruiser View Post
                          Seems Club 4x4 is what most people are doing these days?
                          You read the wrong forums. It seems everyone is leaving club 4x4 in droves. Myself included.
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Mundy55
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • Gold Coast

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            You read the wrong forums. It seems everyone is leaving club 4x4 in droves. Myself included.
                            I've told you a milliion times not to exagerate.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                              I've told you a milliion times not to exagerate.
                              Seriously, I gave them the flick. No exaggeration.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• jkwpajero
                                • Jun 2008
                                • Young, NSW

It was my personal experience that Club 4X4 gave me a good rate for the first year. Then kicked the premium up by approximately 30% for the following year. I had read all the stories about other customers getting the same treatment and so I looked around to insure my Pajero under the same conditions, except off road recovery which I did not need anyway, and opted to go with APIA. I am into my second year with them and so far so good. I have recently moved from Sydney to a NSW regional town and experienced a nice drop in premium costs as a bonus. I understand that Club 4X4 retention rate is not good but their bait for the the first year attracts a like number of new customers, so the numbers on their books is stable or shows some growth.

James
                                2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X