X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maximage
    • Mar 2013
    • Darch, Perth, WA

Def a TBC, am interested for sure. Need to speak to the old man and find out what it was like when all us 3 boys were that kinda age. I remember us all doing big road trips when we were young, but how we handled it I can't remember.

If I come, it would likely be sans wife as she has no interest in such a remote trip for that long, which will be good for space in the car, but as she would be back working part time by then, would probably bring the little fella to make it easier for her being back here alone.

My old man may be keen too, if so, could potentially throw another baby seat in his Cruiser, that way the little fella can alternate between cars to keep him interested.
    SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• Nik
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • Perth

Originally posted by Maximage View Post
      Could also be wise with a pile of people running the same cars (i.e. Gen 4s) as it means we can possibly cut down slightly on spare parts between us all, in addition to maybe 1 stove per 2 cars and various things like that. Pity you have a Gen 3 Nik ... :-P
      I don't need to worry about that Maximage, Gen 3's never break down Oh oh ... I feel like I'm tempting fate!

Good point on the gear, I think we can definitely economise on camp facilities and recovery gear rather than doubling up on stuff.
      2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Maximage
        • Mar 2013
        • Darch, Perth, WA

Obviously some gear you don't wanna cut down on too much like spare tyres etc, however not sure if some stuff like a spare set of shocks per car is quite necessary given all being the same, and gas bottles etc etc.

No idea if I am totally dreaming abounding it with 2 year old, however we did cross country and full laps around the country at about that age.
        SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Obviously some gear you don't wanna cut down on too much like spare tyres etc, however not sure if some stuff like a spare set of shocks per car is quite necessary given all being the same, and gas bottles etc etc.

No idea if I am totally dreaming abounding it with 2 year old, however we did cross country and full laps around the country at about that age.
          Hi Ash,

Biggest problem with toddler is if they get sick or hurt themselves then it is out of chopper range for a large section in the middle so you need to head to a station with an airstrip for RFDS to land, not a 30 min drive. There are no easy bug out points along the way.

Our kids have always camped and travelled from babies but we did not do remote trips until they were at least 7 years old and were seasoned campers and aware of dangers such as snakes, spiders, scorpions and campfires.

When we did take them on remote trips, we carried broad spectrum antibiotics, as the most they were at most risk from ear infections from swimming in waterholes. Obviously full first aid kit and senior first aid qualifications.

As with any group trip like this into very remote areas, both vehicles and participants need to be well prepared and self/vehicle preservation paramount in all actions, every thing must be done to ensure the health and safety of all participants. I would not suggest anyone with an ill prepared 4wd or with a known health problem tackling this sort of trip. Everyone's safe and happy trip is dependent on everyone else's preparation and conduct.

One in All in.

cheers, old Jack.
          Last edited by old Jack; 03-12-14, 08:39 PM.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Maximage
            • Mar 2013
            • Darch, Perth, WA

Yes, definitely not something that will be a light consideration. Would def have to keep an eagle eyein him for that very reason. That said, if the olds came it would certainly ease a lot of the concern on keeping a look out on him, the very last thing I would want to do is become a drain in anyone else. Especially on such a long trip. Extra points in favour of having the olds with us is the old man is ex-SAS and a recently retired paramedic - 2 qualities that can come very much in handy when remote. :-)

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Yep, we can certainly share the load regarding spares/tools recovery gear etc. Not sure how you'll go with a 2 yr old onboard, they are pretty active at that age

WA also has school holidays from 2nd-17th July, so we may have to work around that and perhaps make it a late July-Early August thing. If we start from the Northern end, I'll probably leave a week or so earlier to have a bit of a squiz at the Kimberley etc and I'd prefer not to do that in School Holiday times.

Yep, North to South would be better regarding driving into the sun at that time of year. Not sure how many we will end up with, but if we have more than say 7 vehicles, it might be wise to split into two groups for travel, maybe on alternate days one group leaves an hour or so earlier etc.

Larger convoys tend to result in lots of delays and frustration. I have found in the past that 6 vehicles is a good size, at a scrape 7, anymore than that and it becomes difficult. I'm open to suggestions on group size, generally though there will always be some who drop out of the trip for a variety of reasons, spots will open and close over the next 18 months or so while we get this all planned.
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
              3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Hi Steve,

Kimberley starts to get busy by July and fully packed out in August!
                May and June are best times if you have a flexible itinerary and are not towing.

On desert trips we always spilt up into groups of 3 to 5 vehicles, and split leaving times by 1 hour. This way we stay about 20km between groups and maintain radio coms, doing this you get a better feeling of the remoteness with the security of a large group. Also you end up with several group leaders that can handle most issues that will occur along the track.
                So far there are a number of experienced solo outback travellers that met group leader experience.

cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Nik
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • Perth

That sounds like a good plan Steve. As you said, given the nature of this trip there's bound to be some that will drop out, and if it ends up being more than 7 then we split into two groups and stagger the departures.
                  2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• stevemc181
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Thornlie/Perth

Good point OJ, I can do the Kimberley another time as a separate trip and include some of the harder to get to spots in our North West. I hate nothing more than a crowded campground, which is why I generally do my trips at less than desirable times of the year, either very early or very late in the season. This can present it's own unique set of problems though. Particularly in a Cyclone prone Northern Australia.
                    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

For anyone not from Perth that want to head east via the scenic route, we could take the Gunbarrel Hwy or the Anne Beadell Hwy, subject to vehicle conditions and group dynamics. Alternatively drop south to Leonora, Kalgoorlie, then head east back across the Nullarbor on the black top.

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

• Maximage
                        • Mar 2013
                        • Darch, Perth, WA

Just doing some quick Googling and found some info on distances. This is working in reverse, but helps.

Wiluna to Capricorn fuel dump 671km
                        Capricorn to Kunawarritji 271km
                        Kunawarritji to Bililuna 642km
                        Bililuna to halls creek 170km

So in terms of fuel, could leave Halls Creek full, and there is the ability to top up at Bililuna only 170kms down the track. Then a further 642km to Kunawarritji where you can fill up, albeit at $3.40 per litre. Another 271 to Capricorn where we could organise a few barrels to be dropped and shared amongst us to top up again, then the final 671 run to Wiluna. At a rough guess I reckon you could safely do it with fair safety margin on a full tank and a couple of jerry cans, as long as you filled at each point. Still tempted to get a long range tank, just not sure how often it would get utilised after that.

Mrs was making noises tonight that there is no way I am taking the little fella with me, so may have to look at other options ... like giving her a holiday in Broome ...

Comment

• dimmo
                          • Mar 2011
                          • Radelaide

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'd love to go - maybe, put me down on the "reserves list".

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Just doing some quick Googling and found some info on distances. This is working in reverse, but helps.

Wiluna to Capricorn fuel dump 671km
                            Capricorn to Kunawarritji 271km
                            Kunawarritji to Bililuna 642km
                            Bililuna to halls creek 170km

So in terms of fuel, could leave Halls Creek full, and there is the ability to top up at Bililuna only 170kms down the track. Then a further 642km to Kunawarritji where you can fill up, albeit at $3.40 per litre. Another 271 to Capricorn where we could organise a few barrels to be dropped and shared amongst us to top up again, then the final 671 run to Wiluna. At a rough guess I reckon you could safely do it with fair safety margin on a full tank and a couple of jerry cans, as long as you filled at each point. Still tempted to get a long range tank, just not sure how often it would get utilised after that.

Mrs was making noises tonight that there is no way I am taking the little fella with me, so may have to look at other options ... like giving her a holiday in Broome ...
                            I am going to work on using the same as my Simmo crossing as a worst case scenario regarding fuel use, this was 21 LPH, I carry about 150 litres with the Aux and will also take 40 litres in 2 x Jerry's. I am always concerned at the amount of times the Aux tank has taken a battering and the chances that one of the hits may cause a leak at some stage. The Jerry's are my backup in this case. There may be a few side trips along the way, so we need to account for that in our fuel and time figures. Once we get a better idea of where to go and what to see we can look at fine tuning the trip.

To be honest I think it is probably unwise to take your 2yr old also and think a holiday in Broome for the missus is a much better alternative Would also be glad to have your parents along, as an ex paramedic is certainly a handy addition to any trip!

Originally posted by dimmo View Post
                            I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'd love to go - maybe, put me down on the "reserves list".
                            No problem dimmo, I've added you into the TBC list, so long as you have a well equipped vehicle and some offroad experience you are welcome to join in. The biggest thing we will all need on this trip is suitable LT rated tyres/good suspension and a reliable vehicle. As mentioned earlier in the thread, if the numbers are up we will stagger our departure times each day

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Agree with toddler comment, no offence Ash.

Can vouch for Dimmo, SA lad with well setup PB Challenger, seen him drive in the super soft sand at Peake so no problems, do not know how much remote experience he has but best way to get it is a trip like this. Top Bloke.

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

• j3st3r
                                Valued Member
                                • Sep 2011
                                • Mildura

Sounds like a great trip, just wondering what time frame you are allowing for this trip
                                PB MY12 LS Challenger, Auto, White.
                                Window Tint, Hayman Reese Towpack, NudgeBar, BushSkinz Bash Plates, HID High Beam Kit, 28" LED Light Bar, Oricom UHF280, Maxxis 980 A/T, Lovells CRR-69 Springs, SPV EGR Mk3.1

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X