• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

It will be interesting to see how long the lower prices last. I think I will have to do another day trip to/from Sydney again next week, so it will be interesting to compare fuel prices then.

Comment

• Kingmarz
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2016
      • South Island New Zealand

In NZ fuel prices go up like a rocket and drop like a feather.
      02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

You are lucky in NZ. In Oz, they go up and stay up. It takes a damned virus to cause a fall in prices. Actually, the fuel prices cycle up and down in the larger cities, but in the country (where you really need the fuels), they stay UP all the time. I rarely fill up in my home town - fuel is often cheaper even further away from the larger cities than it is in my town. It is called 'competition' and there isn't much price competition in my town.

Comment

• Two Emms
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2020
          • Mansfield, Vic

Well the prices in Mansfield (Vic) have finally dipped below $1.40 per litre (diesel) $1.39.9 But our prices are always too damn high so us locals have just become numb to it. No nearby competition.

The argument for the high retail prices vs record low wholesale prices is that sales volumes are down so margins need to be higher.
          2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

I'm not complaining. There's always someone who is worse off.
            Does it really cost an extra $2 per litre to transport/handle/store/distribute fuel in remote areas ?
            No competition, captive market etc etc.
            This one Kunawarritji a little while ago.
            20160814_120140.jpg
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• rgrubby
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2018
              • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
              I'm not complaining. There's always someone who is worse off.
              Does it really cost an extra $2 per litre to transport/handle/store/distribute fuel in remote areas ?
              No competition, captive market etc etc.
              This one Kunawarritji a little while ago.
              [ATTACH]43606[/ATTACH]
              I've seen that Outback Truckers show, they make it look like a huge drama getting anything out to the back blocks of Australia That dramatic background music really emphasises the point
              2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                I've seen that Outback Truckers show, they make it look like a huge drama getting anything out to the back blocks of Australia That dramatic background music really emphasises the point
                Part of the point is a loaded B doubles get 70 litres per 100k on the highway. What does a road train get. My guess would be over 90 litres per 100k. At $1.50 a litre that's a cost of $135 every 100k. Plus tyres, oil, brakes, filters, rego, insurance and ancillary's.

That's big money and someone has to pay for it.

Comment

• rgrubby
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2018
                  • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                  Part of the point is a loaded B doubles get 70 litres per 100k on the highway. What does a road train get. My guess would be over 90 litres per 100k. At $1.50 a litre that's a cost of $135 every 100k. Plus tyres, oil, brakes, filters, rego, insurance and ancillary's.

That's big money and someone has to pay for it.
                  Plus the drivers wages. It does actually look like an expensive exercise
                  2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                    Plus the drivers wages. It does actually look like an expensive exercise
                    Plus the cost of the lease for the Prime Mover and three trailers.

Comment

• Two Emms
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Mansfield, Vic

Dearer fuel in remote areas due to higher transport costs. Of course! We all understand that.

But I have been told that Mansfield pays the same wholesale as metro Melbourne so why is diesel 20c a litre dearer?

If I was using unleaded I would be even crankier. Its at $1.25 when the petrol stations closer to Melbourne (paying the same wholesale) are close to $1.00

Having said all of that, I can afford it so a quick whinge here and I'm done. But what about the poor sods who go through a tankful (or 2) of petrol a week getting to work?
                      2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Wazza999
                        • Jun 2018
                        • Canberra

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
                        Dearer fuel in remote areas due to higher transport costs. Of course! We all understand that.

But I have been told that Mansfield pays the same wholesale as metro Melbourne so why is diesel 20c a litre dearer?

If I was using unleaded I would be even crankier. Its at $1.25 when the petrol stations closer to Melbourne (paying the same wholesale) are close to $1.00

Having said all of that, I can afford it so a quick whinge here and I'm done. But what about the poor sods who go through a tankful (or 2) of petrol a week getting to work?
                        There is certainly gouging, when we were travelling this time last year, fuel in Coober Pedy was the same price as Canberra and Griffith NSW was 12 c/l cheaper. Freight costs to Canberra must be the highest in the country!

MY11 NT Pajero RX 3.2 DiD, OME 2'' lift, Boo' s bash plates (3mm), BFG KO2s (18''), ECB bar

Comment

• rgrubby
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2018
                          • Wellington - NZ

In NZ we can have 40c/l differences. There are a few low cost companies that bring the prices down around them, but if you don't have one near by, then you pay the higher price. A couple of tourist hotspots in the South Island are even dearer for no other reason than they can

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

In the greater Sydney area now E10 varies from 78.5 to $1.269.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X