• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
    I note that BP and Caltex promote the cleaning power of their Ultimate and Vortex premium diesel products, however, diesel here in the west comes out of the one and only refinery here BP Kwinana.
    In fact all petrol and diesel in WA comes from this refinery by the tanker load and I am not aware of any BP or Caltex blending sites where any additives could be added to their fuels.

What I am saying is that all fuels in WA come from the same source regardless of brand, and I doubt there is any difference by the way of additives added to the fuel later.
    It is a refinery. They take various crude oil inputs, and turn them into various fuel outputs, such as
    petrol: unleaded, premium unleaded, BP Ultimate and BP Opal
    diesel fuels
    aviation fuels, including jet fuel and aviation gasoline
    fuel oil
    hydrogen
    kerosene
    autogas, including propane and butane
    Of course a refinery can add additives to their products, and I have no doubt that they can add different additives for different customers.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

An interesting thing, once upon a time not so many years ago a particular machine I sell large brand through scheduled oil sampling left oil changes at 250 hours/ supplement supplied with machine, whilst other's pushed there services out to 400 & 500 hours intervals for lower cost of life marketing & as per ops manuals mostly for European market & US market.
      Nothing to do with the injectors & common rail quite expensive engines, oil contamination is reasons discussed here.

The reason given was simply Australian Diesel had higher sulphur which I also believe helps with longevity of diesel fuels.

So now through scheduled oil sampling the intervals have gone out to suggested 500 hours due to the diesel fuel used in Australia being "cleaner" less contamination in the engine oil than it use to be & using suggested better oils.

I am talking about diesel/ normal probably now refered to as "economy" cheap stuff .
      Not that stuff that's out now that they have made luckily so much better to save us all from certain faster engine wear & definate shorter injection life

Some people even believe expensive higher octane petrol will be beneficial in there lawn mower as well & along with there cars that clearly states high octanes not required

I have no opinion on such matters,if it works for you whatever the reason it works then go for it, even if it is or isn't a Placebo effect, if it works go for it!
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• WHID
        • Oct 2019
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
        . . . I have no opinion on such matters . . .
        C'mon Jase, get off the fence, mate. Tell us what you REALLY think.
        Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• PeterRL
          • Oct 2018
          • Brisbane

I have clocked up nearly 300,000 km in diesels (Landrover Discovery,VW Jetta, Pajero Sport) and I've never used additives. But I have always only used BP Ultimate diesel and that was on the advice of a friend who drives diesels for a living.

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
            • Sep 2019
            • NZ

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
            I note that BP and Caltex promote the cleaning power of their Ultimate and Vortex premium diesel products, however, diesel here in the west comes out of the one and only refinery here BP Kwinana.
            In fact all petrol and diesel in WA comes from this refinery by the tanker load and I am not aware of any BP or Caltex blending sites where any additives could be added to their fuels.

What I am saying is that all fuels in WA come from the same source regardless of brand, and I doubt there is any difference by the way of additives added to the fuel later.
            Same here in Auckland NZ all fuel comes from Whangarei via a pipe line, except Gull it comes direct from Aussie I think.

When I got my first service I asked the MMC dealer if I need to use additives in the diesel, he said no.

Having said that I will use either Chemtech or Morey's additive every 10k to 20k as has been my practice over the years. I have just clocked 11,000 so it's about due.

My experience with high milage diesels found use of fuel additives definitely improved things. Improved economy, removed smoking, quieter and smoother.

As a side issue many years ago I owned a very high milage 2.3T Pajero, it rattled, leaked oil, blew smoke continuously and the power steering leaked oil. I bought Morey's oil additive. With the motor running I added the additive, the rattling actually stopped. I added some the the power steering then had the engine bay steam cleaned. All oil leaks had stopped too. Because I was so impressed I added some to the gearbox as the syncro's were getting tired. Fixed that too, so of cause I traded it in while it was running so well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by nvll.mrrs View Post

When I got my first service I asked the MMC dealer if I need to use additives in the diesel, he said no.Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
              The irony of that is MM sell an OEM diesel additive.

Comment

• Jayctee
                • Mar 2015
                • Brisbane

My diesel additive experience.

I followed lots of web advice on Moreys Diesel Smoke Killer additive. My first diesel was a 2010 VW Tiguan, it was such a great car I also bought a 2010 VW Golf diesel - yes a 'dieselgate' victim. No problems with either vehicle - great torque.
                I started both vehicles on the Moreys. I would carry a small bottle of Moreys in the car ready for each fill up. I stopped using them when I noticed there was a white layer of settled material - about 5 % of the total - in the bottom of each bottle.
                Sometimes the white layer could not be re-dissolved even with vigorous shaking.
                Moreys (a NZ Company) could not explain why I was getting this problem.
                There was no instruction on the 1 litre bottle (Supercheap) to "Shake the bottle".
                I now try and stick to plain old Caltex Vortex.
                I traded the Tiguan on the PC Challenger, and the Golf on a 2015 Mazda CX3 AWD diesel.
                Love that torque !!
                SOLD: MY14 PC LS Auto Challenger, Airtec snorkel, GME TX3100 UHF, RV360 TPMS, Hema HN7, Provent 200 CC, Torque-Pro, Thunder Weekender battery box, Redarc BCDC 1225D charger.
                SOLD 1997 NK GLX 3.5 Auto

Comment

• ger08
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Perth

I’ve continued to experiment with Chemtech diesel power and I’m now convinced that it does improve fuel economy and the engine seems to run a lot smoother. The improvement in fuel economy is most notable when towing or the car is heavily ladened. I’m probably going to try Liqui Moly Clean and Boost next to see how that goes.

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                    • Sep 2019
                    • NZ

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                    The irony of that is MM sell an OEM diesel additive.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en...gine/fuel.html
                    Yes I am confused I must admit. The local dealer has a system where to talk face to face with the foreman is very difficult you only talk to the workshop reception staff located in a different building. I may have to be a bit more assertive next time I'm in there. [emoji106]

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

• Paj11
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

I just use good quality fuel, I always use Caltex Vortex, and if not then in this order after that, Mobil/7-11, BP and then Shell, but try hard to avoid Shell, I stay away from independents.
                      2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X