• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Fridge fan mod

Thought I'd share a little mod I had been trying and it worked ok so I made it more permanent. Noticed a distinct temp differential between the upper and lower sections of the fridge. So I got myself a 40mm puter fan, made it fit some pvc pipe ducting and powered it from the fridge light. Success. More even temps, even the dairy section gets cold now and best of all its drawing 100mA, bugger all. As it seemed successful, I have re-wired it into a dc plug. The mating plug is in the main power lead and I've fused this as well. It would be nice to not have the cable going under the lid, but that will take a lot more surgery that I may perform at a later date. Best of all, the whole system is removable if required. I have now ordered some 80mm fans and will be modding both my evakool and engel at some stage.

Shane.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • Manjimike
    • Jan 2012
    • Manjimup SW WA

Good job, Shane

Mike
    03/99 NL 3.5 GLS

Comment

• amr75wcr
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Sunny Coast

Looks good Shane much better than the one I did.
      Wayne
      04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• peterdeg
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • NW Sydney

Have you considered using a blower fan so that you use less space with the pipe? One like this.
        Peter
        2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Yeah I've seen those, but never in the flesh. What do they work like? Note I'm not chasing moving large volumes of air. But the space saving may be handy.

Shane.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Manjimike
            • Jan 2012
            • Manjimup SW WA

Originally posted by peterdeg View Post
            Have you considered using a blower fan so that you use less space with the pipe? One like this.
            Being only ~20mm thick you could probably just deform the basket and it would lock in betweem the basket and the wall.
            The space between the basket and the wall would become the 'pipe'.

Mike
            03/99 NL 3.5 GLS

Comment

• peterdeg
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • NW Sydney

'efficient' and 'noisy' are usually two words i associate with blowers.
              Peter
              2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

• Downunder35m
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2011
                • Near Melbourne

Ok, point taken but I don't think noise from the blower would be a problem once the lid is closed
                '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Efficient and noisy...Yep reckon they would be. You can hear the 40mm fan in mine with the lid closed quite easily. The blower would be a lot worse I reckon, but its worth a try. In fact 3 x 75 x 30mm's for $13

My Journeys

Comment

• Manjimike
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Manjimup SW WA

How loud is 22dBa?

Mike
                    03/99 NL 3.5 GLS

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Well its been a while and today I did an update:

Edited May 2015: Thought I'd share a little mod I had been trying and it...

Hope you find it of some use.

My Journeys

Comment

• PBding
                        • May 2010
                        • Canberra

Thanks for that will investigate fans and ducts shortly. Enjoyed reading some of your blog as well, tucked up in bed as its minus 3 outside!
                        NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

Makes sense having the internal fan, I've also been thinking of making up some dividers to keep things separate. I might have to look into your methods and consume some wine for the sake of testing
                          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Georgie
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2013
                            • Secret Harbour WA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            Well its been a while and today I did an update:

Edited May 2015: Thought I'd share a little mod I had been trying and it...

Hope you find it of some use.
                            Hi Shane
                            Looks like a good mod might try and catch up with you and relieve you of some tube and I will do this mod also another great blog on the Preston Beach trip
                            Cheers
                            Georgie
                            2015 Sahara
                            Black Mica in colour
                            BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                              I might have to look into your methods and consume some wine for the sake of testing
                              Well it really depends on your fridge, but I had to use a combo of 2 and 4L jobbies......Hic

Enjoyed reading some of your blog as well, tucked up in bed as its minus 3 outside!

Cheers. Glad you liked them. -3, Brrrrrr

Looks like a good mod might try and catch up with you and relieve you of some tube and I will do this mod also another great blog on the Preston Beach trip
                              No worries George. I have about 3.5 meters surplus Glad you liked the Preston entry.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X