Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 2 Weeks Ago

The plot thickens.
Received the new backing plate from the parts store. Part number on the box matched the store catalog. paid and took it home. Nope, the part was for the 3L V6.
Went back to the store. It was obvious the wrong part had been placed in the box. The casting had different numbers to the box. The store rang the supplier and they overnighted another.
This time the store checked before I got there. Everything looked good in the store.

Got home with the new part. Mounted the water pump onto the new backing plate, all going well.
Separated the thermostat housing and sat the old gasket onto the new backing plate. Nope, the water port is smaller and the blot holes are further apart.

Back to the parts store. They double checked the part numbers against their catalog. and called the supplier. the supplier said that is the part for the car. That started down the path of "is it the original motor" again.
We double checked the part against the VIN, everything matched. Then they decided to check the gasket from a new water pump against the two backing plates. It matched mine but not the new one.
Back on the phone to the supplier. He then asked if they had any other people have this trouble. The supplier then said "we have just taken over this business and have no idea". That was where the supplier left it. Or in other words, this is what we sell for that car nothing else.

So now I am sure my motor is the original NM 3.5V6. I have a new question, what does this new part fit?

I am now waiting on a new water pump and backing plate combination as that is the only option left. If it doesn't fit I'm not sure where to next.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

What is the engine number ?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The engine number is 6G74NMXXXX
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Well, have it sorted today. Needed to buy a new water pump with baking plate.
This one was also for an NM as well.

I don't know what the 2nd supplied backing plate fits, but it wasn't an NM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Brian pleased you got it sorted out. Don't have this much trouble finding parts for a NT 3.2 diesel.
Allan.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks Allan, Now to find the time to finish putting it back together. Will be done by Saturday.

I didn't think it would be this hard finding parts for the 3.5 either.
Did have some good luck, I found the grumbly bearing I was looking for when you were down. It was the fan hub bearing. It's replacement went straight in.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thank goodness something went right without too much stuffing around. It looks like the part suppliers have their stock mixed up. I would have to think it it was all done at the right time, by that I mean the crack/coolant leak helped you to discover the shot bearing.
Allan.