Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Weaping oil left side rear differential.

The left side of rear diff there is a slight weeping of oil.

Is this what is referred to a companion shaft ?
(note this is a Gen4 NS pajero not the Gen3 which I've read about having companion shaft issues)

I'm assuming there is a seal that mates between. How hard is it to replace and what do I need in way of parts etc?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0326.jpg (105.1 KB, 26 views)

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Workshop manual just shows Axle seal mate.

When apart just check shaft where seal runs for groove or wear.

Look in Differential carrier assembly section of manual its number 33.

Axle seals leaking

Someone cleverer than me might be able to send better link

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...3/index_M1.htm
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Hey bud change 1 on mine a year or so ago. Its a diff oil seal, part number for mine was MR350883.

Simplified details to change below.

Drain diff of oil, undo lower arm from hub, undo shock from hub, undo large hub nut, manipulate hub so driveshaft comes out of it. Pull drive shaft out of diff.

When putting new seal in it needs to put in straight as to avoid pinching it. The new seal is rubber coated in effect so as you try put it in, it can grab on the metal diff. I used a very large socket as a drift that was nearly the same diameter as the seal. You have to give the drift a few taps with hammer very careful to seat the seal properly.

When putting the shaft back in, again carefull putting the toothed end through the new seal to avoid damage as there is an inner rubber flange on the seal that goes around the shaft. Then in short reinstall everything, not forgetting diff oil.

There may be a few others little things I forgot to mention but that is the basic principle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200628-185305_Samsung Internet.jpg (77.5 KB, 7 views)

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks guys,

Do you know if that is the same seal used on the diff with factory diff lock?
What's required once the shaft is out to pull the old seal out?

Also through the manual it mentions a slide hammer and adapter is that required?

Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Last edited by craka; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:33 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Best way to work out if its same seal with or without diff locker is have a look at Partsouq.com, put your VIN in to get correct parts for you Paj.......I doubt it would be a different part number but better to be safe than sorry.

To get the seal out i used a thin small crow bar to carefully, very carefully lever the old seal out, perhaps a large screwdriver may do the job. Just have to be careful not scratch the inner metal seat where the seal sits.

To get the driveshaft out I didn't use slide hammer and puller. Used the same crow bar and again carefully levered out the shaft using the same spot where the puller sits on it. Perhaps a tyre lever or similar item should work.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
Best way to work out if its same seal with or without diff locker is have a look at Partsouq.com, put your VIN in to get correct parts for you Paj.......I doubt it would be a different part number but better to be safe than sorry.

To get the seal out i used a thin small crow bar to carefully, very carefully lever the old seal out, perhaps a large screwdriver may do the job. Just have to be careful not scratch the inner metal seat where the seal sits.

To get the driveshaft out I didn't use slide hammer and puller. Used the same crow bar and again carefully levered out the shaft using the same spot where the puller sits on it. Perhaps a tyre lever or similar item should work.

Yes sorry, I i discovered that last night. Appears to be the same part used.

Thanks the info. I'll order a seal and give it a go.