Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by signo1985 View Post
Ehi gents, I have a similar issue even if not as bad (the tow hitch came off with little effort).

The question is, how do I properly clean the hitch receiver?

Cheers

I hit mine with some wd40 whilst parked on a slight nose down angle , old newspaper / rags wrapped around a broom handle to clean it out. I do this once a year with no issues since but I do swap hitches monthly between bike rack and towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by symo View Post
I hit mine with some wd40 whilst parked on a slight nose down angle , old newspaper / rags wrapped around a broom handle to clean it out. I do this once a year with no issues since but I do swap hitches monthly between bike rack and towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers.
So you reckon there us no need of grinding it/filing it etc to remove the rust?
Or use some rust converter or other products?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Pajero Club Life Member

If rusting is a serious concern, a brew of watered down molasses cleans up rust really well. For ratios Google is your friend, experience has shown about 10:1 works reasonably well.

Don't rush the process, for light rust 7 days of soaking works well.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

In the back of the cobwebs I recall somewhere vinegar was used to help dissolve/loosen the rust allowing the tongue to be removed. I never leave my tongue in, when it is in, it is locked in with a lockable pin.
Allan
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The tongue is out, that is not the issue i can clean it up, but i cant really soak the receiver unless im taking the whole bar (which im not going to lol).
I wanna clean the inside of the receiver trying to reduce the risk of the rust coming back.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signo1985 View Post
The tongue is out, that is not the issue i can clean it up, but i cant really soak the receiver unless im taking the whole bar (which im not going to lol).
I wanna clean the inside of the receiver trying to reduce the risk of the rust coming back.
Well me myself & I reckon that this stuff is one of me best mates with rust

Impresses me no end , 250ml bottle is heaps of this stuff & it works.

http://chemtech.net.au/Fertan%20Feat...ts%20NOV09.pdf

And when I worked in underground mines maintenance this stuff here got a run on absolutely most bolts nuts & things that you would want to pull apart again like a religion
Apart from internal engine fittings as run havik with your oil samples

https://www.molytec.com.au/anti-seiz...-seize-copatec

So clean her up with wire brush a lashing of Fertan, tin of anti rust paint over top & slip slop slap with anti seize upon reassembly I reckon your in with a show getting her apart next time.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks Jason I will give it a go!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I do not leave the tongue in the hitch. I got a piece of 50mm square aluminium (actually a pool fence post. Left the fence post plate attached and made it about 200mm long. Drilled a hole for pin and now it cannot rust. I keep this in as I have Bushskinze rear bumper protector and the tongue helps prevent it dropping slightly. Works a treat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200627_151125_copy_2064x1161.jpg (166.5 KB, 21 views)

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper