• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anhie
    • Jan 2013
    • brisbane

tinnie vs fibreglass

Hi how are we all. It has come time to upgrade out stacer 479 nomad.
    I want some feed back from people who own boats like cruise craft , haines hunter, australia offshore marine master, off short marine master to give me some feed back. Any info appreciated.

Am looking at boats like the haines hunter 602 f cruise craft 595 outsiders etc. IF i missed any good qualitfy built boats please provide feed back
    Iron Bark MY13 VRX NW Pajero 4WD Newbie.
    Ultimate suspension 2 inch lift, ARB Bull Bar, ARB High Intensity lights,Air Tech Snorkel, Rhino Roof platform, Mickey Thompson STZ, Clarion DVD Screen,Waeco CFX 50 Fridge ,UltraGuage EM Plus, MM towbar,Bush Skinz Under Body Protection, Electronic Rust Protection and a few other bits and pieces.

• Troy711
    Valued Member
    • May 2013
    • Canberra

Is it a dedicated fishing boat or will it be part cruiser? Also, what's your budget?

Comment

• anhie
      • Jan 2013
      • brisbane

Hi troy will be mainly for fishing. About 100k
      Ultimate suspension 2 inch lift, ARB Bull Bar, ARB High Intensity lights,Air Tech Snorkel, Rhino Roof platform, Mickey Thompson STZ, Clarion DVD Screen,Waeco CFX 50 Fridge ,UltraGuage EM Plus, MM towbar,Bush Skinz Under Body Protection, Electronic Rust Protection and a few other bits and pieces.

Comment

• Sabre
        • Apr 2010
        • SE Qld

Anhie,

What about a Cat, especially for offshore (I assume that's where your using it for that amount of budget).

Sabre

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

Have a look into the US imports like Grady White, Boston Whaler, they build fantastic boats.

Other good ones from the States are Proline, Seaswirl, and a few others i cannot remember off the top of my head. You'll get a 24ft twin rig less than a couple years old for that budget.

if haines, id go for the patriot, they are sweet. Haines is a top brand.

personally id stay away from Yamaha motors- ive seen too many of those with issues- my mates 115 busted a big end bearing on the water, the girlfriends 25 for some reason isn't pulling revs (this may have been because someone has tinkered with it, not sure what's wrong yet), and one of my colleagues had an electrical issue affecting both of their motors individually resulting in them not being able to put out much power either.
          i like mercury motors.

fibreglass is a heavier boat compared to the same size Ali. This means they generally take the sea better- can smash thru bigger chop and more stable at rest, but stability is largely affected by hull shape anyway.
          i prefer glass, mine is glass. It looks and feels better, not as easy to clean but don't get any electrosis issues between metals like a missing sinker and the hull!

as for cats, i have no experience with them. Wont often find single engine cats. They take the chop better and are more stable at rest than a mono hull. Apparently in a following and quartering sea they aren't as good, but i wouldn't know.

are you more interested in a cabin, half cabin, centre console type machine? Each have pros and cons for different applications. CCs you get more fishing room and can work around more boat whereas a cabin you lose a lot of the front portion for fishing- walkarounds help alleviate this but its still less room and not as easy as a CC.
          cabins, space and shelter.

hard top, open or closed? Or Bimini??? Lots of options.

fuel/water/shower/toilet/kitchen etc???

2 or 4 stroke?? Pros and cons for each the modern 2s are pretty damn good.
          Last edited by Alex86; 29-04-14, 10:50 AM.
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Nik
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • Perth

Have you thought about a Polycraft or Stabicraft? The Polycraft is very tough and a soft ride. The 599 would be a lot cheaper than $100k as well. Not as nicely finished as say a Cruise Craft, more a purpose fishing/utility boat . Not as deep a V as a glass boat, but deeper than the allies and will be more stable than a plate ally and at least as stable as a glass boat. My 599 is more stable than a 7m Mustang glass boat a friend used to have.

If you want a real ocean going boat that's 6m the Stabicraft is an excellent hull. It'll be the most stable of all with it's pontoons and they cut through the waves incredibly well. You lose a bit of internal space with the pontoons, but that's about the only downside. That and it's a lot more expensive than a Polycraft but they are an impressive performing hull and you'd easily get into a 6m one for under $100k.
            2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2009
              • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Anhie,

Love our Cruisecraft Explorer 575.

We got it secondhand, but it was set up by Tweed Marine as their demo boat, so had all the bells and whistles. It actually went to Melb first and then came back to the Gold Coast to us (had it shipped up).

If you get a secondhand one, look for after 2005 onwards, with the foam filling.

We have used it way offshore from the Gold Coast, catching great snapper and mackerel.

Have also used it offshore at Port Stephens, when the Marlin were on in Feb.

We did the Cruisecraft factory tour and boy, do they make them well and strong.

It is very stable - brilliant in fact and the ride is very good. Not quite as soft as the Signatures we've had before, but makes up for it with that great stability. It has a big, stable bum on her!

We've got a Merc Opti 150 on ours. Great motor, still economical like a fourstroke, but has better puch out of the hole, which is great for the bars, when you need it.

Big deck for fishing and we also use it with a roll out mattress to sleep on. Fits 2 really well.

We upgraded the trailer to an electric braked one with 14 inch wheels. Worht the extra money for safety if you do long trips. Interestingly it weighed 2.160 tonnes at the weighbridge, so legally required brakeaway frakes.

Dealers sell them "dry" without fuel or water, so they keep it under the 2 tonne mark -like the caravan caper with weights too!

Anyway, we love Gizmo. For fsihing and general boating, they are fantastic boats. Love the stainless work too!
              Cheers,
              Sally

Offshore Port Stephens

The Blue Marlin at Port Stephens!

Like the rego?......CC 575 Q

Yeah, yeah, small snapper,....but tasty! Got to start somewhere!
              SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Betz
                • May 2012
                • 'stralia

If you are looking for a serious offshore weapon

They have a very good rep.

Thats a Striped marlin btw Sally
                Last edited by Betz; 29-04-14, 07:47 PM.
                2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....

Comment

• Alex86
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Here and there

ah yes, towing weight. As sally mentioned, the published weights don't include much!

start adding some options a full fuel tank, water, eskies, gear etc and the weight gets up pretty quick. This is the advantage an Ali has over fibreglass, for the same size they are lighter.

merc opti is a good motor. Id love a verado or two whenever i upgrade!
                  '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• anhie
                    • Jan 2013
                    • brisbane

thanks for feedback all appreciated.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Show us your new toy when you get it Anhie!
                      SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Alex86
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Here and there

Add Trophy and Wellcraft to the list of manufacturers to look at.

And yes, when you get it, photos please!

Comment

• anhie
                          • Jan 2013
                          • brisbane

will do sally

Comment

• frog
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2014
                            • sydneyhills.com.au

100k will get you into a Arvor no doubt the best outside boat I ever owned . Diesel shaft drive under the floor and a dry cabin

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X