• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregp
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

How much oil collects in the catch can?

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me an idea of how much oil they remove from their catch can every 5000-10000kms please?

I've just done an inlet manifold remove and clean on my 200,000km NW. I'd first tried using Liqui Moly Diesel Intake Cleaner, which might be another interesting post, but bottom line was that it was ineffective on a heavily soiled intake. So it's spick and span now but I'm wondering about whether to fit a catch can. I'm currently intending to sell the car at the end of this year as we're currently on a road trip and we only bought it for that. We've probably got another 30,000km to go. It was a pain getting the manifold clean so I don't want it to get clogged again, but nor do I want to drop $200-300 on a catch can on a car I'm going to sell, if it's not going to make a big difference over that time. Now it's clean I can probably maintain it with some of the Liqui Moly stuff once in a while.

So I'm just after some idea of how much oil is likely to pass through the engine in say 5000-10000kms, so I can work out whether I should shell out for a catch can on a car I'm not likely to keep, or save my money and just run a can of manifold cleaner through it every 10,000.

Thanks,
    Greg
    NW Platinum 4M41
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

Oil can only come from the sump.

How much oil do you use in that same interval?

If you used 1/2 litre then some of that would be burnt during combustion, and some would remain in the intake manifold, potentially being cooked by EGR exhaust gas and solidifying as you uave found.

How much is burnt and expelled out the exhaust and how much would be caught by the catch can would be variable, but ultimately you can't catch any more than what is depleted from the sump.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Garc
      • May 2015
      • Perth

I have an NS with 250,000 kms. I get approx 100ml in the catch can Per 10,000kms
      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• gregp
        • Aug 2015
        • Adelaide

@pharb: Thanks, yes I guess that is true! I topped up about a litre of oil over about 10,000km of towing, but I have no idea how much of that would have been crankcase fumes which ended up on the intake. So I suppose I was particularly trying to work out how much of what disappears 'typically' ends up as fumes which get into the intake, which a catch can might detect.

@Garc: Thanks!! In line with @pharb's comment, how much oil do you have to top up every 10,000km?
        NW Platinum 4M41

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

Originally posted by pharb View Post
          Oil can only come from the sump.

How much oil do you use in that same interval?

If you used 1/2 litre then some of that would be burnt during combustion, and some would remain in the intake manifold, potentially being cooked by EGR exhaust gas and solidifying as you uave found.

How much is burnt and expelled out the exhaust and how much would be caught by the catch can would be variable, but ultimately you can't catch any more than what is depleted from the sump.
          Won't a catch can catch more than oil?
          Also soot, moisture and various combustion by-products as well as oil?
          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Seigried
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2016
            • brisbane

100mm sound about right. But its also dependent on how long your drain hose is.

If you are topping up oil every 5000km or so but getting a small amount from the catch can I would look for an oil leak.

I wouldnt put one on if you are 100% selling it in 30000km.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

How much oil collects in the catch can?

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
              I wouldnt put one on if you are 100% selling it in 30000km.
              I concur. My NX inlet manifold was cleaned out (no catch can or EGR delete) at 90,000km and it really wasn’t that bad. 30,000km will be fine assuming your motor builds up carbon as much as everyone else’s. I’d save the cash and tell the next person (if they asked) that I had it cleaned out only 30,000km ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• gregp
                • Aug 2015
                • Adelaide

Great thanks everyone! I'll do that.
                NW Platinum 4M41

Comment

• Kingmarz
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2016
                  • South Island New Zealand

I empty my catch can every service (approximately 6-8 months) and it always around three tablespoons maybe 30ml and the contents looks like nasty grey sludge.
                  Never had to top up oil between service always on top mark on dipstick with over 400,000km all respect to previous owner who claimed was all open road kms.
                  Me old Mitsubishi Challenger’s catch can would be 3/4 full (approximately 500ml)at service and would use about 1Ltr of oil and had a massive amount of blow by which is common for 4m40 engine.
                  When looking at upgrading old challenger I took a NM Pajero for a test drive which had a catch can installed it had only a little oil in the end of drain hose out the bottom and owner claimed he’d never emptied but he also claimed that the steering was stiff because of the type of tyres which were also noisy but was obvious to me it had zero power steering and a noisy wheel bearing after a quick spin. It had just over 300,000km if I can remember rightly.
                  02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Two Emms
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2020
                    • Mansfield, Vic

I get about 200ml out of my catch can every 10,000 Ks. (Very rough estimate) Provent 200

But it is always about half oil and half water. My son reckons he has seen this aspect mentioned a lot on other forums, (He is a Toyota boy) so i haven't lost any sleep worrying about the water. 100ml of oil not going into my manifold is my take on it.

My EGR is not deleted in any way, and is not going to be, so keeping the oil out is my only option of avoiding a clagged manifold.
                    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Garc
                      • May 2015
                      • Perth

@Garc: Thanks!! In line with @pharb's comment, how much oil do you have to top up every 10,000km?[/QUOTE]

I change the oil and filter every 10000kms so, 10 litres
                      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Skinny03
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Christchurch, New Zealand

In my option and experience if you want to stop intake manifold gunge go first for an EGR delete. Stop that poop entering your intake first. I have a Crisp Mod commonly found on ebay which are excellent but expensive for what they are. There are numerous posts on here where you can make one yourself for next to nothing. I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that blow by gasses that a Catch Can "catch" are far less damaging than the EGR system.

Comment

• gazza11
                          • Aug 2017
                          • Medowie NSW

I get approx 30-40ml every 5oooKs
                          NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• Keithyv
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2018
                            • Perth

Originally posted by gazza11 View Post
                            I get approx 30-40ml every 5oooKs
                            I’d be about the same.
                            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X