• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • insect_eater
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Canberra

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
    So how many would be prepared to pay???? The amount of ads we have on now might pretty well cover us ! Version 5 of this forum when we go across might not have the ads as intrusive
    Lets move on to the new version and see how it looks.
    I'm happy to look at the new version first, but I suspect I'd be happy to pay. I've done it for other not for profit websites because I am morally obliged to do so, regardless of whether it reduces ads.

I like OJ's idea of segregating the website experience between paid and unpaid users - it allows ad revenue from casual users, and easy viewing for regular users. If it would be possible, i'd be in the paid user without ads category.
    NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
      I don't like the advertising but accept that it is a necessary part of life these days. One comment though...

If I want to reply to a posting and I am the first one to do so, there is no "Reply" button appearing - the only way I can submit a reply s to quote the whole of the initial posting, which is a waste of space and effort as far as I am concerned. Can this be fixed easily?
      I think the "Reply" button is now below the ad that comes after the first post. All subsequent posts don't have an ad immediately below them, so the "Reply" button is where we expect to find it.

No idea if that can be fixed in the next version.

If you start a reply with the "Quote" button all the quoted text that is automatically inserted can also be deleted. Click in the window, Ctrl + A to select all the text, hit Delete and it's gone.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Lazarus
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Melbourne, Western suburbs

As someone who owns rather large community site (non profit and not 4wd related) with about 20k registered users (they do not have to register to gain any special access), and about 1 million clicks a month. I started that site 20 years ago.

Comparing the numbers between these two sites and in my own experience I can say with certainty that yearly cost for Pajero Club site/forum should not be more than 1k.
        That includes costs for the hosting and domain name.
        And thats on US servers with data centres on east and west coast to cater for the traffic demands, automatic backups and 24/7 live support.

In my opinion PajeroClub is making a big mistake by introducing the adds in, what was so far, pristine looking forum, with most friendlier mods and admins and great atmosphere amongst users. The lack of adds contributes to this feeling immensely.

Based on my experience I would STRONGLY urge leadership group here to reconsider introducing adds and tarnishing this great reputation and legacy this forum has, and all for not that much money anyway, which could be raised in other way.

In saying that, I will still support and promote this forum, whichever way admins take it, as it is unlike any other 4wd related forum, when it comes to friendliness and overall attitude of all involved.

Respectfully,
        Last edited by Lazarus; 23-10-20, 08:49 AM.
        NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank, GME XRS 370c.

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

I am SUPER grateful for the forum, for all the volunteering, and for the Vic Paj Club for ‘hosting’ it (if that’s the right word?).

I would like to offer another perspective...
          1. While many of the people who have posted on this thread have said they would pay, from my experience, I suspect that the bulk of other users wouldn’t.
          2. As was raised before, the cost (both financial and of volunteers time) of administrating and tracking fees needs to be considered.
          3. I think the Vic Paj Club should be allowed to make the decision regarding adds without guilt or criticism.
          4. I’m personally more than happy to have a single add (like has been implemented) if it means the forum is able to continue ongoing.

ps - thanks to the forum, I have also made many real (face to face in person) lifelong friendships. To me that’s priceless!
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Pushbike
            • Jun 2017
            • Sydney

Forum Changes

The simple ads at the top of the page are quick to load, small size, and more or less static and therefore not a problem. I have an ad blocker on my browser and I can see two (1xleft and 1xright) images. So it seems the images/ads are not detected as ads.

Put simply I'm okay with the ads so far.
            Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
            Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
              The simple ads at the top of the page are quick to load, small size, and more or less static and therefore not a problem. I have an ad blocker on my browser and I can see two (1xleft and 1xright) images. So it seems the images/ads are not detected as ads.
              Put simply I'm okay with the ads so far.
              The static adds are called banner adds. The pop up adds that I dont see are blocked by add blocjers.

You can block banner adds but as they are not obtrusive I don't bother.

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                I am SUPER grateful for the forum, for all the volunteering, and for the Vic Paj Club for ‘hosting’ it (if that’s the right word?).

I would like to offer another perspective...
                1. While many of the people who have posted on this thread have said they would pay, from my experience, I suspect that the bulk of other users wouldn’t.
                2. As was raised before, the cost (both financial and of volunteers time) of administrating and tracking fees needs to be considered.
                3. I think the Vic Paj Club should be allowed to make the decision regarding adds without guilt or criticism.
                4. I’m personally more than happy to have a single add (like has been implemented) if it means the forum is able to continue ongoing.

ps - thanks to the forum, I have also made many real (face to face in person) lifelong friendships. To me that’s priceless!
                +1
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pickle
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2007
                  • All over Oz

Appreciate you guys putting in the time to give us feedback. It was always a hard decision when it came to the forum and putting ads on it. Covid hasn't been good to anyone in business and that extends to clubs. But the good news is when the upgrade comes the forum will have a few extras you guys will no doubt appreciate. More on that once everything is confirmed .
                  NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                  Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Being a co-owner and Admin on Australia's best BBQ site, I understand the need for ads. We've been running our forum for 5 years and so far four of us have been able to fund it with bulk meat sales, a slight margin on caps and polo shirts but we are also at the point of wondering how we can keep dipping in to our own pockets. We've also thought of a member annual subscription but even if it's minimal, we won't get everyone on board so ads seem to be the only viable option for us too.

We upgraded this year to Woltlabs Burning board and it's a grea platform and that's another cost we covered ourselves.

This forum is a valuable asset and has provided so much info for me personally over 5 years and if it means a few ads amongst the gems, that's fine.

Thanks to you guys for holding out so long.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pickle
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2007
                      • All over Oz

Have deleted a couple of forums that aren't used anymore, Pajero Sport two generations have their own forum (were sub forums) now. New Towing forum introduced. Probably more changes to come before migration to new software.
                      Admin
                      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                        Have deleted a couple of forums that aren't used anymore, Pajero Sport two generations have their own forum (were sub forums) now. New Towing forum introduced. Probably more changes to come before migration to new software.
                        Admin

Good work Dave!
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• disco stu
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2018
                          • Wollongong

Anyone else finding the site slow to load? Not sure if it's the ads, my phone, reception at the moment or what

I can only reiterate that others have said. I'm very thankful to have access to this forum and the members. If ads are needed then so be it, I don't think it's fair that the club has to cover the costs of it for so many non club members. I pondered the paying thing, and while I'm willing now I'll probably just never get around to actually paying when it comes time to do so. It's just me being unorganized

I did find the add in the middle of posts offputting at first, but I'm basically sort of used to it now. The thread suggestions are a rabbit hole! It's almost like YouTube and watching videos 3 hours after looking at one thing only. I kind of like the suggestions for things I would never normally find

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                            Anyone else finding the site slow to load? Not sure if it's the ads, my phone, reception at the moment or what

I can only reiterate that others have said. I'm very thankful to have access to this forum and the members. If ads are needed then so be it, I don't think it's fair that the club has to cover the costs of it for so many non club members. I pondered the paying thing, and while I'm willing now I'll probably just never get around to actually paying when it comes time to do so. It's just me being unorganized

I did find the add in the middle of posts offputting at first, but I'm basically sort of used to it now. The thread suggestions are a rabbit hole! It's almost like YouTube and watching videos 3 hours after looking at one thing only. I kind of like the suggestions for things I would never normally find

I,ve never seen an ad in the middle of any posts.......only at the very top of the page..which are easily ignored.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

I should have said in between posts, but I think you understood me. There is actually one in between nj swb post and my one just above your post. You don't see it?

Comment

• Scooby
                                Valued Member
                                • Jan 2011
                                • Ipswich, Qld.

So has anyone looked at or clicked on an ad yet?
                                Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X