• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whereswes
    • Feb 2015
    • Melbourne, Australia

LED Light in Rear Door

Hi all,

I've searched threads but maybe with the wrong key words as I'm pretty sure this would have been already covered.

Just putting the finishing touches on the rear drawer system but noticed that I can't see jack .... at night.

Has anyone installed lighting in the cargo door trim? Was looking at either an LED interior lamp powered off the open door circuit (independently fused and switched) or a couple of 30mm LED rounds in the access covers about mid way down each side.

My reading of wiring diagrams isn't great but the Challenger open door light looks to be switched via the latch rather than the usual body mounted spring loaded button switches. Can anyone confirm for me?

Cheers
    Wes
    2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

I run a 1m long 5630led strip which is wired to the main rear switch. Awesome $20 fitted
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• whereswes
      • Feb 2015
      • Melbourne, Australia

Thanks mate and sounds perfect.

Is the rear main switch activated by the latch?

Cheers
      Wes
      2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• Rovingman
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2014
        • Blue mountains

When door opens, unlocked by remote and you can turn it on and of by original switch.
        Pajero NT RX 2011
        Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
        LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• whereswes
          • Feb 2015
          • Melbourne, Australia

Many thanks Rovingman,

Is the strip mounted on the rear door or inside the luggage area?

When you say main rear switch, is this the switch in the original cargo area light?

Cheers
          Wes

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

Within the rear door itself (which is what I think your after), the latch/unlatch mechanism is powered via the ETACS ECU, so I'd be reluctant to attach additional items to that circuitry without knowing more about its capacity/sensitivity. Moreover, it's likely that the circuit is only momentarily powered when the latch/unlatch is pressed.

There's ingition switched power at the wiper motor if that's of any use to you.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Rovingman
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2014
              • Blue mountains

Yes cargo switch, i just stuck it to the roof lining, 6 months hasn't moved. ill put up some pics. this arvo.
              Pajero NT RX 2011

Comment

• whereswes
                • Feb 2015
                • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                Within the rear door itself (which is what I think your after), the latch/unlatch mechanism is powered via the ETACS ECU,
                Thanks Kingbrown and glad you pointed that out. I don't want to be playing near anything powered by the ECU.

Cheers
                Wes

Comment

• Rovingman
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Blue mountains

Here are some pics of my Rear led light 5m of 5630 led strip ebay. $16.25 and $25 to fit.
                  I Did not want to do it just in case i stuffed it up plus wasting my time getting the right connections.

It works just like the original interior cargo light, Great in the dark!!!

Pajero NT RX 2011

Comment

• whereswes
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Rovingman.

Gives of an awesome amount of light for the price.

I'm probably going to need to understand the wiring to the rear light a little better before I look at connecting to it given as kingbrown advises the ECU controls the door open signal. Guessing there must also be a constant active running to it for the override. Will need to check out if it also routes via the ECU.

Cheers
                    Wes

Comment

• Rovingman
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2014
                      • Blue mountains

All your doing is using the same wiring, there is no issue. Instead of the existing bulb you are using an LED. You are just using the cargo switch.
                      Pajero NT RX 2011

Comment

• Kingbrown
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Port Augusta - SA

That's true of the existing Cargo Lamp Rovingman, but the ETACS ECU still controls the room lamp(s) whenever the switch is in the automatic 'door' position.

There's always an active present at the lamp fitting, but the ECU pulls the other side of the lamp to ground to complete the circuit.

As per attached.

Challenger Central Door Locking Schematic HBM11X03CC00ENG.pdf

Challenger Central Door Locking Schematic HBM11X03AC00ENG.pdf
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Rovingman
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2014
                          • Blue mountains

I bet the LED draws less power than the existing bulb. If the ECU was so sensitive to such a little power draw you would never drive anywhere.

Whats your main concern?
                          Pajero NT RX 2011

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Just ordered the light strip and 10 connectors. $18 delivered...very expensive..lol
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Rovingman
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2014
                              • Blue mountains

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                              Just ordered the light strip and 10 connectors. $18 delivered...very expensive..lol
                              you got ripped off mate!!
                              Pajero NT RX 2011

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X