Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 29-12-15

Default '87 Pajero gen 1 4g63 help

Recently picked up a bit of a project pajero. As this is my first time working on a Mitsubishi let alone something this old so Ive got a few questions. I have a workshop manual which I am slowly getting through, however most of the information I have focuses on more common engines and not the 2.0 turbo, Im hoping there is someone out there with a bit of experts in this model.

The Body: 1987 SWB, 2 door Pajero, Gen 1. ( Not sure which model? )

Engine: EFI 4g63 2L SOHC Turbo, 4x4 manual gearbox.

The engine, mounts and gearbox appear factory but may have been converted. I have read these where a factory setup in some models.

My first problem is the left front drive shaft has snapped and I am struggling to find a replacement, So my question is:

What gearbox / Diffs is this likely to be running? Are the Diffs and axles the same for all pajeros this Gen or do they depend on the engine? Alternatively is there any other vehicle axles that may cross over?

Secondly the engine had a blown head gasket so Ive pulled that off and dropped it off for machining. While cleaning down the block I noticed the one in the 4x4 is stamped 4g63 and the spare is stamped g63b, Am I correct in saying this is just an outdated form of stamping engines and these blocks and internals are identical?

Finally just out of interest can anyone tell me the size of injectors, factory horse power and will the DOHC manifolds fit on the SOHC head?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated, Cheers

P.s, Suggestions on best place to source new gasket kits?
Old 29-12-15

Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0454.jpg (55.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0457.jpg (57.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-02-16

87PajeroNZ, the G63B is just the USA model designation for your 4G63; my 4G54 is a G54B in the USA.
I'm a Kiwi based in Thailand but when I'm chasing parts in NZ I have good results with Pick-a-Part; you may find that your turbo 2 litre shares engine parts with Sigma 2000. I'm picking that your wagon is a "crossover" model as 1987 seems to be about the time that the Aussie 2.6 Astron took over.
RockAuto in the US has a huge selection of Pajero parts, listed under Montero and just about all 2-door so take a look. Use G63B as a model number.
Another tip (don't laugh); try to find out the name of the service and/or parts manager of your nearest major Mitsy dealership 28 years ago, and join his bowling club. Don't be too pushy as he's probably at least 70 and could be a bit grumpy.
Old 11-02-16

Gasket sets; try Partzonline or STA Parts.
Old 09-03-19

Default 4g63 t

Hi mate, not sure if you’ve still got your Mitzi, but I’ll post for the archives.

Your Paj is likely a Japanese model, which came in the 2.0 Turbo spec. These make around 110kw from the factory, however have the potential for a lot more. It will have a KM145 behind it, and they have the lower spec diff size - i.e. the 7.25” front diff (no lockers compatible ) , rear will have an LSD - if it’s got front headlight washers and the sticker!

Dropping a DOHC head on is achiveable, (according to “the internet”) however is difficult - mostly due to oil galleries and cooling pipe routing - it’s unlikely you’d get the rear cooling pipes between the engine and the firewall in our cars.

Better mods seem to be EFI (stand-alone harness and ECU required) from a later 2.4 L300 van, front mounted intercooler (starion intercooler fit well apparently) and a bigger turbo.

These engines are extremely sensitive to air leaks, and so replacing and checking the spiderweb of pipes is critical, as is changing the timing belt at the correct interval and regular oil high quality oil changes. If you run them hard you must let them cool down before shutting off or you’ll cook your turbo quickly!

Parts are available as long as you talk Starion to everyone rather than Pajero, otherwise they’ll be confused.