X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewfnorbert
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007

are you getting your fuel figures from the dash readout?

if so these will not likely be accurate at all, as the spider unit likely changes the pulse width modulation of the signals in the injection loom, this will then give a false reading to the dash fuel figure making it appear better than it really is..
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Wrex
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth

After 200km of city driving with no traffic, all 50-60kph stuff the results are amazing. I am using the brakes alot more now because I am getting up to speed quicker. This is changing as i get used to it.

An example is 100m down the road you have to turn left, Normally accelerate and back off 20m before braking. Now you get to speed quicker for longer with less throttle application and the corner comes up quicker so no backing off but straight on the brakes. My top speed is no different but the ease it gets there is great.

The car is still very smooth and just wants to go, I feel like i don't have to push it even at local road speeds.

I am very happy with my investment.

Comment

• Pearcie
        BushSkinz 4x4
        • Nov 2007
        • Wattagans

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
        are you getting your fuel figures from the dash readout?

if so these will not likely be accurate at all, as the spider unit likely changes the pulse width modulation of the signals in the injection loom, this will then give a false reading to the dash fuel figure making it appear better than it really is..
        initially I was thinking a similar thing in regards to the readout, but after filling up yesterday even though the unit had been in for just under half a tank the read out was still pretty much spot on. But I did manage more km before the red light to normal even though it was only in for part of the tank as well. I have now done 125km on this tank and current average is 9.7 over all on the display and similar driving used to bring around 11.5. Also the needle is still just touching the full line which is noticeably above where it would normally sit, which suggests that fuel economy is noticeably improved. (Driving conditions around here are very constant and only a couple of different roads ever traveled hence why it is easy to rule out driving conditions playing much effect, wind has been pretty typical and well traffic is non existent all the time aside from about 2 minutes worth in wyong each morning but that is typical each day as well)

Cheers,
        Kieron (BushSkinz 4x4)
        2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
        Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• Gregzzzz
          • Apr 2009
          • Blue Mtns, NSW

Spider jumper settings

Hi Wrex and Kieron, what jumper settings are you using on your Spider chips? Mine came set at position 4 (out of 9) for Power adjustment and 6 (out of 9) for rev range adjustment. I moved the power adjustment setting to 5 with no issues. (no smoke, no DPF issues no "safe mode") . I will next try moving the power adjustment to position 6, and because it shares the centre jumper pin with the rev range jumper, I'll move that to position 7 and see how it goes and let you know.
          With regards to dash display of fuel economy, the Spider unit definitely fools it. I've had mine for several months, and, as per my post in another thread, fuel economy is actually slightly worse when you go to fill up at the bowser than if you didn't have the spider unit in, (but not much worse. :-) )
          Gone: NS GLX DiD Auto.

Comment

• Pearcie
            BushSkinz 4x4
            • Nov 2007
            • Wattagans

Hi Gregzzz, I did read your post saying your fuel economy was slightly worse. I think the reason why mine is better is because it was having a hard time with my big tires now it just cruises easily. but going off the odometer and the fuel gauge, fuel economy is definitely better. Will be interesting at the bowser next week to see what the difference between the dash and the bowser is as it was spot on last time. Jumper setting are standard same as yours were.

If you move the Rev jumper to 9 I believe that is 4000rpm so the power increase would then be through the entire rev range. each jumper setting down is 250rpm less, so standard settings it stops boosting the power above about 3250rpm. I'm not sure whether I would be more inclined to jack the performance up and leave the revs or jack up the revs and not so much the performance. Could be just me but I believe more likely to get issues at high revs with significantly boosted performance then mid revs.

Cheers,
            Kieron (BushSkinz 4x4)
            Last edited by Pearcie; 26-11-09, 06:22 PM.
            Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Comment

• Pajero_Pete
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Adelaide Hills

Watching this thread with interest Pearcie,
              Would love some improvement in my economy .
              Just need to find the $$$$$ .......... oh and convince the Minister for Finance ...
              cheers PP
              Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• Gregzzzz
                • Apr 2009
                • Blue Mtns, NSW

Well, after having the spider unit out for a while, for a recent service, I have now put it back in with the jumpers set at 6 for power and 7 for revs. Very nice result - oodles of grunt. I have only done about 130km so far at this setting, but no smoke, no "safety mode", no DPF worries so far. Driving has included city, freeway and hills (what hills?)
                ...Greg

Comment

• Gregzzzz
                  • Apr 2009
                  • Blue Mtns, NSW

Hi Hookedon, I notice on the UK site, they're having a special - save ?100 (well actually ?86.96 for export orders) When you add on their postage etc, it comes to about $A580 landed in Oz. Shhhh - don't tell Pearcie :-)

Comment

• Pajero_Pete
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by Hookedon4wding
                    Hmmm, maybe Kieron can get the discount too and pass it on to a few of the forum guys if we order a few?
                    sounding better all the time
                    PP
                    Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• Wrex
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Perth

Gregzzz
                      I have left my unit at the factory settings. I will however dyno it at different settings to see how it goes.

Comment

• Angry
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2009
                        • Riverina

Wrex,we are all waiting with baited breath to see the Dyno results.

When do you thionk we will get to see them ???

We are pretty interested , however we would like to see more constructive (Dyno) figures.

Dont take it personally but we all rather see dyno figures before & after, rather than " it really feels like its sorta got more power & maybe feels smoother & I think maybe it might be getting better economy".

Keen to hear more.
                        Angry.

My Photo site.
                        AAA-Photography.smugmug.com

07 NS VRX, DID Auto, Nudge Bar, 130W 215 Nitghtstalkers, 50w HID H/Beams, Kenwood Touchscreen Natsav/DVD/CD/Rev camera, Rear Alpine DVD Player, Recaro Orthopedic drivers seat, DIY Spare Wheel Lift.

Comment

• Schniff
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Angry View Post
                          Wrex,we are all waiting with baited breath to see the Dyno results.

When do you thionk we will get to see them ???

We are pretty interested , however we would like to see more constructive (Dyno) figures.

Dont take it personally but we all rather see dyno figures before & after, rather than " it really feels like its sorta got more power & maybe feels smoother & I think maybe it might be getting better economy".

Keen to hear more.
                          x2

It'll have to be hub dynoed or else the TC system will peg the power.
                          Produce a dyno sheet that shows 15-20% torque increase and I'll be very interested. I doubt it will actually get the 23.3% increase (to 460nm) as it says on the site but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I am after more grunt for safe overtaking when loaded to GVM and less concerned about economy.
                          Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007

these chips that ad more fuel do in fact produce very good gains in tdi engines (unlike petrol).. dyno would confirm the obvious. most chips claim figures in the 30% range! seat of the pants would suggest 20% is easy, i have seen dyno figures on a hyundai tdi, very impressive.
                            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• kookaburra
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Port Pirie, S.A.

Decided to join the 'Spider set'. I ordered mine (out of the UK) on Monday and received an email yesterday that it had been programmed and was 'in the mail'. I'd expect to see it in the next couple of weeks. As Gregzzzz indicated the price is really good with the discount currently on offer. Including foreign converson fee, cost was a tad under $590.

South Oz is a bit devoid of 'mountains' but I'll give it a test run on Willinga Hill (south of Adelaide) at Christmas time. There is a nice 2.2km stretch of consistent 9% grade which will give it a bit of a run. While on the South Coast, I'm also planning to do a run along Goolwa Beach to the Murray Mouth which will give a 4WD (low range) sand perspective of the Spider.

I've booked a Dyno run for late January. Will post the results before and after.
                              NS GLX DID Auto. Bridgestone D694 A/T's, BushSkinz Bash Plates, Spider Performance Unit, ChipIT Race Pipe, Dual Batteries / OL Police Spec Tray / Projecta 150 Amp controller, Mits Steel Bull bar, Mits (Milford) Cargo Barrier, Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform/Rails, Mits Towing Pack / Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller, GME TX3340 UHF, Driving Lights, Long Range tank, Spare Wheel Lift kit, Polyair Springs, ORS Drawer Set and Fridge Slide, Kipoint Internal TPMS, NT manifold

Comment

• Pearcie
                                BushSkinz 4x4
                                • Nov 2007
                                • Wattagans

Just to let everyone know I got 535km before the light came on this tank, normally the best I have been able to get since all the mods was 475-480. fuel economy at bowser was 10.6 and included some traveling through sydney as well. Between 1-1.5L better then normal. I will be adjusting the power settings in the morning up to see how much more of a difference that makes to performance. So far very impressed, I just need an exhaust and remove the dpf next and it will go like a rocket

Cheers,
                                Kieron (BushSkinz 4x4)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X